Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 18 Jul 2017 (Tuesday) 16:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon 400D Upgrade To What..?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,387 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Jul 20, 2017 06:30 as a reply to post 18406521 |  #16

The original 6D is a bit better IQ wise than the 5D3 just so you are aware. I think DR was a bit better, if I remember, and the high ISO was better by 1/3 to 1/2 stop. The 5D3 has a better AF system though. Just so you are aware...

The 6D will also be cheaper, maybe. I think I just saw the used market prices go up in the last 2 days. :)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
Fireblade2K7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
West Midlands, England
Jul 20, 2017 07:27 |  #17

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18406538 (external link)
The original 6D is a bit better IQ wise than the 5D3 just so you are aware. I think DR was a bit better, if I remember, and the high ISO was better by 1/3 to 1/2 stop. The 5D3 has a better AF system though. Just so you are aware...

The 6D will also be cheaper, maybe. I think I just saw the used market prices go up in the last 2 days. :)

Ok I'll keep that in mind and have a look around and see whats what, thanks for your input in this thread, appreciate it :-)

Canon EOS 400D + BG-E3 Battery Grip
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

Silver-Halide
Joined Jan 2015
Jul 21, 2017 01:05 |  #18

A big part of why I have to use a 5dIII is for the dual card slots. I just don't think I can cover an unrepeatable event like a wedding without writing to two cards. If you're shooting for fun, and not something requiring a high frame rate like sports, I'd say go with a 6d classic.

I started with a 400D myself. Then the 6D, and now the 5dIII.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

Fireblade2K7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
West Midlands, England
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Fireblade2K7.
Jul 21, 2017 10:48 |  #19

Silver-Halide wrote in post #18407394 (external link)
A big part of why I have to use a 5dIII is for the dual card slots. I just don't think I can cover an unrepeatable event like a wedding without writing to two cards. If you're shooting for fun, and not something requiring a high frame rate like sports, I'd say go with a 6d classic.

I started with a 400D myself. Then the 6D, and now the 5dIII.

Ok, something else to consider, thanks for the info and advice. ;-)a

Just out of interest how did you find the jump from the 400D to the 6D...?

Were you pleased in all areas..?

Did anything fall short of your expectations..?

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII
Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,225 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been edited 4 months ago by FuturamaJSP.
Aug 10, 2017 02:17 |  #20

If I were you I'd get some high quality lenses before upgrading to 6D or 5D.
Other than the change in fov and shallower dof upgrading to FF wouldn't make the images sharper, produce less CA or better looking bokeh

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DAexternal link

PG07
Joined May 2007
Australia
Post has been edited 3 months ago by PG07.
Sep 08, 2017 08:55 |  #21

I upgraded from a 400D to a Sony a6000. Unbelievable difference in ability of the camera. Now I even love making movies. The dynamic range and quality of the photos of the Sony is so far ahead of the 400D it isn't funny.
I got the kits lenses and the ultra sharp sigma 1.4. I don't even consider Canon now . The price was so good for the Sony it was a no brainer for me.

"The poetry of photgraphy will always be more important than mechanics of the camera... you see the picture is taken with the eye,the heart.The most sophisticated camera in the world can never replace this." Jacques-Henri Lartigue
Peter:) canon400D 18-55 , 50mm 1.8,75-300,Sigma 17-50 F/2.8 EX OS HSM , 430EX II ,Lowepro slingshot 200AW. Sony a6000 , Sigma 30mm 1.4 e-mount, 17-50 kit and 55-200 kit.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,387 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Sep 08, 2017 09:58 |  #22

That is to be expected, the 400d is like 2005 tech, of course the a6000 would better it. However, compare the a6000 to the sl2 for example, and the differences disappear.

You don't have to switch brands to get a better body over the 400d.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 3 months ago by MalVeauX.
Sep 08, 2017 10:44 |  #23

Based on your lenses, budget ideas, uses, I would just say stay APS-C. Today's APS-C sensor is really good. Getting an older full frame sensor isn't going to be leaps different from a modern APS-C sensor. You will also not have the expense of getting new lenses for full frame. You will find everything goes wider and shorter. You'll instantly want longer glass (the way you speak of a 300mm on APS-C, it would take a 500mm lens to get the same FOV back if you changed it, look at prices on 500mm lenses).

Sounds to me like you should be looking at an 80D.

You will also find big changes by updating your glass. Especially that 18-55 kit lens.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale

Eric ­ Hopp
Joined Apr 2017
Campbell, CA, USA
Sep 09, 2017 10:12 |  #24

If you have a chance, go to a camera store, and play with each camera body. Check how the camera feels in your hand, play with the controls and go through the menu screens. Whichever camera feels more comfortable in your hands will be the camera you are more willing to shoot with. All the cameras you have listed will take fantastic images.

I'll third that one of the best improvements you can make is updating the 18-55mm lens. There is a variety of EF-S and EF medium telephoto lenses you can upgrade to. You just need to remember that if you upgrade your EF-S 18-55mm lens with another EF-S medium telephoto lens, the new EF-S medium telephoto lens will not work on a full frame camera body. The EF-S lenses only work on a crop camera body. However, any full frame EF lenses will work on a EF-S crop camera body without any problems. So you need to ask yourself first, do you want to stay in the crop body, or do you want to upgrade to full frame?

For lens upgrade, I would suggest you take your 400D camera body to a camera store, and try out the different medium telephoto lenses with your camera. Take some pictures, and examine the image quality you will get from these new lenses. See which lens feels more comfortable in your hands with your 400D. You can also try new camera and lens combos that interest you. Again, whichever new camera and lens combination feels more comfortable and "right" in your hand, will be the one you be happy shooting.

Fireblade2K7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
West Midlands, England
Sep 09, 2017 13:08 |  #25

I've not made any choices yet as I'm still weighing up my options.

Thanks for your opinions, suggestions and comments it is definitely worthwhile food for thought, however with where we are now, summer coming to an end in the UK and dare I say it, Christmas fast approaching I'm probably going to be leaving it until early 2018 now before making any changes due to how busy I am going to be and also expenditure towards the end of the year, but none the less, please keep dropping your comments and suggestions in.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII
Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

Chris.R
Goldmember
1,423 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Chris.R.
Sep 09, 2017 13:26 |  #26

As Eric says, DO go to the camera store (and remember to buy something from them!!).

I have some Canons because I wanted the MP-E and electronic (vibration free) shutter before there were many mirrorless options.

I wound up with several Canon lenses.
I then bought an 80D thinking surely it would be better than the 700D I had, for general photography.
I hate it. It's a horrible camera.
I can't use the controls, unlike more than one other camera. OK it's not as ridicuous as a Panasonic. The easiest to use by far are a couple of old Nikons I have. (D300 & D700) With those I can adjust most things without taking the camera from ny eye; I just cannot with the Canons. Too many things are one press on Nikon and two on Canon. I have to carefully press Canon buttons so I don't press two at once, and my hand doesn't stretch for exposure compensation so I have to use two hands, and on and on.
I've fondled 7D2 and 5DSR; slightly better but not much is different.

In future I'll try to get someone who OWNS an intended camera to show me how he /she uses it.

I'll probably keep a Canon body for the MP-E, but ditch the rest, that's 10mm to 300 including macros and some L's.

All modern lenses are much better , and they're all great unless you want something very special. Flog yours and get replacements, if you change body, no big deal.

Chris.R
Goldmember
1,423 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Chris.R.
Sep 09, 2017 17:57 as a reply to Chris.R's post |  #27

Here you go, in case you think I'm nuts. 80D.
I'm "average" size :)
Note thumb obliterating three controls at once on the back panel - button, ring and pointy thing,
Stetching with difficulty to the wheel to adjust exposure,
Not a hope of supporting the camera at the same time - it's resting on me...
And this should be easy when it's at your eye, like other cameras. I'm left-eyed.
Utterly hopeless quest.
5/6/7D etc are a bit different on this particular function it's true, but the point is, get one in your hands.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon ­ Amateur
Joined Aug 2010
The Netherlands
Sep 11, 2017 08:48 |  #28

And if you finaly have your upgrade then it is time to fiddle around with your 400D.
Try 400plus and give your 400D a second life.
When I owned a 400D I had a lot of fun with this 400plus enhanced body.
https://github.com ...irmware-Hack-Installation (external link)

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV / Canon EOS M3 / Lytro illum

sandwedge
Joined Aug 2011
Atlanta, GA
Sep 11, 2017 18:10 |  #29

I like my 80D. I use it for a wide variety of photography. Everything from Milky Way shots to youth sports. Feel free to look at my gallery for a sample.

Chris.R: Have you tried using a grip? That might solve some of the issues you're having.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/63710159@N07/ (external link)
http://www.DougMoon.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
80D, 7D, 5D, t2i, sx50, Sigma 150-600C, 100-400L, 70-200L II, 100mm Macro, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tokina 11-20, Bower 8mm

sponsored links

2,233 views & 3 likes for this thread
Canon 400D Upgrade To What..?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.