Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras
Thread started 27 Aug 2017 (Sunday) 18:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

RX100 mechanical reliability?

Charlie ­ Victor
Joined Oct 2014
United Kingdom
Aug 27, 2017 18:02 |  #1

My first RX100 was a mk i on which the lens extending mechanism packed up after two years; I had it repaired at considerable cost but it failed again a week out of repair warranty and no amount of sweet talking would get it fixed free of further charge - so I purchased a mk ii on which two years down the line the rear panel control wheel has become gummy in use; the only way to get it to rotate smoothly without accidentally activating the pressure switch and invoking an unwanted function is to place my lips around it and suck whereupon it then works properly for a few minutes.

Am I unlucky or is this highly capable camera cheaply constructed despite a premium feel and price?

Despite the fantastic results I have had with it I am loathe to buy a third.

Canon 7D and 5D IV / EF-S 10-22mm / EF 24-105mm L / Sigma 50mm f1.4 EX DG / EF 70-300mm L / 580 EX II / Yongnuo YN-568EX II
Sony RX100M2 / HVL-F32M / Turret optical viewfinder
GoPro Hero 3+ / Head mount / Chest mount / Suction mount / Hand grip

Charlie ­ Victor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2014
United Kingdom
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Charlie Victor.
Aug 29, 2017 05:00 |  #2

Let's rephrase the question. Has your RX100 suffered failure of the lens mechanism, stickiness of the rear panel control wheel, failure of the control ring or failure of anything else?

Thanks.

Edited to add failure of the control ring round the lens base; I forgot to mention this before but if failed about a month out of warranty.

Canon 7D and 5D IV / EF-S 10-22mm / EF 24-105mm L / Sigma 50mm f1.4 EX DG / EF 70-300mm L / 580 EX II / Yongnuo YN-568EX II

yellowt2
190 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Sep 12, 2017 12:14 |  #3

I have a mk1 and a mk3, and no real problems with either one.

I took the mk1 to the beach a bunch of times, and zooming and autofocus became a little noisier afterwards (this was after after maybe 2 years of ownership). Figured it got some sand into the lens and might fail soon, so that was a good excuse to upgrade to a mk3.
The mk3 became my main travel camera; it's been dropped a few times (the corner near the mode dial is dented enough that the dial only rotates one direction, and the cover over the battery is a little hard to open) but still works great.

My girlfriend has been using the mk1 for the last couple years and it still works mostly fine; every once in a while the autofocus gets weird (racks from MFD to inifinity a few times before locking), but that's the only thing either of us has noticed.

Charlie ­ Victor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2014
United Kingdom
Sep 12, 2017 17:50 as a reply to yellowt2's post |  #4

Thanks, yellowt2. Like you, the incredible technical feat that is the RX100 range means mine have each been my main travel camera - so they have had a lot of use - but they are pretty molly coddled in terms of how I've cared for them so I've been surprised to have the issues that I have with a premium-priced product. It is good to read that your run has been trouble free (bar inflicted damage!) so at least my experience doesn't appear to be widespread. As an aside, carefully and repeatedly applying electrical cleaner to a fine brush and then poking the hairs underneath the back panel dial has freed it up; it now rotates properly again. I am not though about to try this trick to try and fix a lens barrel ring that currently does the square root of nothing!

886 views & 0 likes for this thread
RX100 mechanical reliability?
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.