Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk
Thread started 10 Sep 2017 (Sunday) 06:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Hurricane Irma and POTN

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Sep 10, 2017 06:51 |  #1

POTN server provider Hivelocity's data center in Tampa will be under hurricane Irma in few hours. They have give a lot of information how they are prepared and I'm confident there will be no problems with the network or server stability (power is backed up by large diesel generators).

Just in case there are some problems and POTN is down, you can follow https://twitter.com/HI​VELOCITY (external link) for updates on the server company situation. I also just set up a Twitter account for notifications in case of problems: https://twitter.com/AM​ASSdev (external link)

Stay safe.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 10, 2017 06:57 |  #2

Thanks for keeping us informed, and your continuing work on the forum. If the site goes down for a couple of days, ultimately it is meaningless.

Going to be a rough day on the Florida gulf coast. Positive vibes for our members and everyone in the path.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

RikWriter
Goldmember
Joined May 2004
Lakeland, FL
Sep 10, 2017 07:27 |  #3

Wow, who knew the POTN servers were so close to where I live?

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwrite​r

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,125 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Sep 10, 2017 08:04 |  #4

Thanks Pekka,

My mother is in Ft Myers so I've been watching this closely. I'm in Houston and just dealt with Harvey's floods.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Sep 10, 2017 12:10 |  #5

Any disaster recover plans. Alternate locations..? A generator isn't a plan. Well, they must have.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

WaltA
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
White Rock, BC, Canada
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by WaltA. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 10, 2017 12:25 as a reply to Angmo's post |  #6

Most commercial data centers have dual or triple sites in multiple geographical areas with realtime copies of all data.

A generator is not usually the first line of defense for data storage or web servers when the whole area is in danger.

Good luck to all in the track of Irma and Jose

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

roicead
Joined Aug 2017
Sep 10, 2017 21:27 |  #7

if things go wrong at the data center then a few weeks without a forum is no big deal, just hope all of the people stay safe.

i work in emergency management, we're sending a few crews down tomorrow to assist with the clean up. my brother evacuated from tallahassee to our place in the midatlantic. he's pretty sure his place is going to be a few feet of water in his house.

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Sep 10, 2017 22:52 |  #8

WaltA wrote in post #18448642 (external link)
Most commercial data centers have dual or triple sites in multiple geographical areas with realtime copies of all data.

A generator is not usually the first line of defense for data storage or web servers when the whole area is in danger.

Good luck to all in the track of Irma and Jose

Funny, I was talking to some Amazon AWS folks a ways back. Talked about a tech issue and if they had it covered. A month later the problem happened. Things were down for a while in the east. No hot site to run off too. So it depends on their services.

The word "cloud" does not make redundancy so. "Cloud" merely means using someone else's computer.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
ɐılɐɹʇsnɐ 'ǝuɹnoqlǝɯ
Sep 11, 2017 01:47 |  #9

Though this is the "Post Your Hurricane Irma Photos" threat ;-)a

Oh well, good luck any way.

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring external link

RikWriter
Goldmember
Joined May 2004
Lakeland, FL
Sep 12, 2017 18:20 |  #10

Our power is still out and we have a fist-sized hole in our roof. No photos though.

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwrite​r

sponsored links

1,408 views & 32 likes for this thread
Hurricane Irma and POTN
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.