Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 10 Sep 2017 (Sunday) 19:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5DS with 24-105 L for landscapes

djh5331
THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Nov 2015
Sep 12, 2017 21:15 |  #16

CheshireCat wrote in post #18449853 (external link)
No gasket unless you buy the newer Milvus version (same optical design).
I am not worried about using the ZE (pre-Milvus) lens with drizzle and sand, but I'd use other lenses with rain and/or fine dust.

You seem to really like this Zeiss and it's really well reviewed. :-) I guess my question, and to anybody who's used this lens, is how well does it fare on a higher MP body (e.g. 5DS/R, 5D Mk4, D810, A7RII, etc.)? If it's similar to the reviews that I've seen of it on the 5D Mk3 then it's a stellar lens. One of the things that I loved about using vintage lenses like the Takumars is the all metal builds with the smooth manual focus. Looks like this Zeiss is extremely similar in that regard.

If I were to go down that path, I think I'd end up picking up a decent 50mm prime so that I'd have 21, 50, and 100 covered (along with my 70-200 F4 IS). Obviously that's less flexibility than the zoom alternative (either 16-35 F4 + 24-105 or 24-70 f2.8) but offers its own advantages.

Canon EOS 5DS | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008
*** vanished ***
Post has been edited 2 months ago by CheshireCat.
Sep 13, 2017 00:43 as a reply to djh5331's post |  #17

I have shot the ZE 21/2.8 with up to 20 MP bodies. Don't think it will disappoint on 50 MP (and certainly not if stopped down a bit).

However, if you need a 21 for Sony high-MP mirrorless, get the Loxia 21/2.8.
It is at least as good, which is surprising given the size and weight.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

jeetsukumaran
Joined Apr 2007
Sep 13, 2017 07:39 |  #18

djh5331 wrote in post #18450806 (external link)
You seem to really like this Zeiss and it's really well reviewed. :-) I guess my question, and to anybody who's used this lens, is how well does it fare on a higher MP body (e.g. 5DS/R, 5D Mk4, D810, A7RII, etc.)? If it's similar to the reviews that I've seen of it on the 5D Mk3 then it's a stellar lens. One of the things that I loved about using vintage lenses like the Takumars is the all metal builds with the smooth manual focus. Looks like this Zeiss is extremely similar in that regard.

If I were to go down that path, I think I'd end up picking up a decent 50mm prime so that I'd have 21, 50, and 100 covered (along with my 70-200 F4 IS). Obviously that's less flexibility than the zoom alternative (either 16-35 F4 + 24-105 or 24-70 f2.8) but offers its own advantages.

I've not used the Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 on a high MP body, but I have used it on the 7D Mk2, which has a very similar pixel density to the high MP body. Sharp as a monofilament razor, corner-to-corner, there, too! The lens is easily out-resolving even the higher pixel density, and, TBH, so would any of the other contenders under discussion here (e.g., the 24-70 f/2.8 II). But, on top of that, the Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 is the sharpest and most contrasty lens I've owned, and that includes against the 24-70mm II, TS-E 24mm, etc., though admittedly this is typically only evident under carefully controlled pixel-peeping levels. Otherwise it can be hard to tell. So, as far as sharpness goes, especially at landscape apertures, I don't think it is an issue with any of the lenses here, except perhaps at the corners, but even then I think the 24-70 f/2.8 and 16-35 f/4 hold their own.

But it is not just about sharpness. It's the rendering. Folks may scoff at this, but I stand by the "Zeiss effect" --- the rich, magical, highly-textured rendering due to what some may call the mythical (and certainly impossible to define or quantify objectively and measurably) "microcontrast". THIS is clearly, clearly, clearly evident, not just at pixel-level, but in the entire image. I'll be cycling through some images in Lightroom --- e.g., the same scene taken with different lenses at different settings --- and the moment an image taken by the Zeiss comes up you just know it: there is a pop and vibrancy to it that other images can only match after post-processing. And this is why I find it hard to let go of this lens, even if I have lenses with similar sharpness and focal lengths ...

Gallery: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jeetsukumaran/ (external link) Website: http://jeetworks.org/ (external link) Canon 6D, Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/21, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM II.

djh5331
THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Nov 2015
Sep 15, 2017 10:39 as a reply to jeetsukumaran's post |  #19

Just to give you guys an update. Since there's clearly very favorable opinions of the Zeiss 21 f2.8 (especially regarding rendering), I've decided to go ahead and try it out. Sharpness is only one piece of a lens; I know when I upgraded to L lenses the color rendition and contrast was a massive upgrade from what I had been using before. I think the differences to my L's will be more subtle, but I'm excited to find out. I didn't think the Milvus edition really warranted the extra money so I went with the Distagon version. Hopefully I'll get it in a few days. :-)

No doubt all of the lenses recommended are stunning and I'm confident that if the Zeiss doesn't work out for some reason I'll surely be grabbing one of the other two. As always thanks for all of your insights, this is a lovely forum with good people. :-)

Canon EOS 5DS | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

7,926 views & 5 likes for this thread
5DS with 24-105 L for landscapes
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.