Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 09 Dec 2010 (Thursday) 01:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Using a single strobe (NOT hotshoe flash)- creative examples - mark III

EightEleven
Car enthusiast and an all around nice guy
Joined Nov 2012
Northeast Georgia
Sep 13, 2017 15:19 |  #1261

mhickman wrote in post #18451340 (external link)
Made my first strobe purchase and now I can post here!

Used the Neewer Vision5 TTL 400ws light on my subject, a local singer. Both shots through a 31" octabox.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by mhickman in
./showthread.php?p=184​51340&i=i218282270
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by mhickman in
./showthread.php?p=184​51340&i=i8144837
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

Great job! Are you happy with that strobe?
Would it be safe to say, The snoot lighting from the inside would give it a " hot spot" on the modifier with out something in the modifier to spread the light?

Ron Snarski
flickr (external link)
C&C always welcome!

sponsored links
mhickman
Joined Nov 2014
Sep 13, 2017 15:53 |  #1262

EightEleven wrote in post #18451436 (external link)
Great job! Are you happy with that strobe?
Would it be safe to say, The snoot lighting from the inside would give it a " hot spot" on the modifier with out something in the modifier to spread the light?

I'd say 95% so far. After about 15 minutes it lost connection. The flash would fire via the test button, but not the remote. Shut down strobe and test, no good. Shut down remote and test, no good. Shut down both for about 30 seconds and it worked. Not sure what was up with that, but we were under high tension lines, so I'll chalk it up to that for now.

As far as a "snoot", there is a 7" reflector that the umbrella slides through (see photo) that did keep the spread from its full potential, so I will be looking into another Bowens umbrella mount for it, but overall, I was happy with the spread.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Micro5797
Joined Dec 2013
Montana
Post has been edited 7 days ago by Micro5797.
Sep 13, 2017 17:31 as a reply to mhickman's post |  #1263

@ mhickman
I would try that strobe/octa without the reflector on the strobe and with the scrim on the octabox. It should help alleviate shiny/hot spots as well reducing the flash look.
I do prefer these shoot into reflective octaboxes to the ones that install on the back and just shoot toward the scrim, creating a hot spot and requiring feathering with the softbox. I don't know why more people are not using them.

mhickman
Joined Nov 2014
Sep 13, 2017 20:00 |  #1264

Micro5797 wrote in post #18451540 (external link)
@ mhickman
I would try that strobe/octa without the reflector on the strobe and with the scrim on the octabox. It should help alleviate shiny/hot spots as well reducing the flash look.
I do prefer these shoot into reflective octaboxes to the ones that install on the back and just shoot toward the scrim, creating a hot spot and requiring feathering with the softbox. I don't know why more people are not using them.

I did use the scrim, but my assistant wanted to see the spread and this was shot before the portrait. As for taking the reflector off, it provides a second point that keeps the light centered. Does anyone make a Bowens adapter that the umbrella can slide through and not take up so much real estate?

Regarding hot spots, am I missing something? The light looked nice and even to me.

mhickman
Joined Nov 2014
Sep 13, 2017 20:08 |  #1265

@ mhickman

Even this one with flash through 7" sock doesn't look like there's any hotspots. And yes, it looks like my assistant is running radar. LOL!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

mhickman
Joined Nov 2014
Sep 13, 2017 20:51 |  #1266

@ mhickman

Ok. Just ran a quick test. Full power light with meter set to ISO 100 at 4'. Umbrella with scrim and post end set flush to rear of mount. With reflector installed I got f/11. Removed the reflector, and surprisingly it was rather steady. Same parameters and I got f/13. Only 1/3 stop gained, but at 4'. Could I see better gain over further distance? Possibly, but I think most of the time I will be 4-10' from a subject.

That being said, my only concern is should the umbrella fall over, would I lose the added protection of the reflector to break the fall? Yes, if no assistant is available, I do use sandbags.

F2Bthere
676 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Sep 14, 2017 00:45 |  #1267

mhickman wrote in post #18451619 (external link)
I did use the scrim, but my assistant wanted to see the spread and this was shot before the portrait. As for taking the reflector off, it provides a second point that keeps the light centered. Does anyone make a Bowens adapter that the umbrella can slide through and not take up so much real estate?

Not sure if I am answering the right question :)

I have a Bowens reflector which has an umbrella holder on the outer rim of the reflector. The one I have is made by Bowens. It is like this:

https://www.adorama.co​m ...0wvg_KEAQYByABEgIkY​PD_BwE (external link)

I also have a Bowens adapter which adapts a speedlight or something like a Godox 200 or 360 to connect with a Bowens light modifier and it has an umbrella mounting spot positioned near where the strobe mounts (positioned in a way which is very similar to the position on an Elinchrom strobe--a good design).

It looks like this:

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...PD_BwE&is=REG&sku=1​342131 (external link)

mhickman
Joined Nov 2014
Sep 14, 2017 08:36 |  #1268

F2Bthere wrote in post #18451777 (external link)
Not sure if I am answering the right question :)

I have a Bowens reflector which has an umbrella holder on the outer rim of the reflector. The one I have is made by Bowens. It is like this:

https://www.adorama.co​m ...0wvg_KEAQYByABEgIkY​PD_BwE (external link)

I also have a Bowens adapter which adapts a speedlight or something like a Godox 200 or 360 to connect with a Bowens light modifier and it has an umbrella mounting spot positioned near where the strobe mounts (positioned in a way which is very similar to the position on an Elinchrom strobe--a good design).

It looks like this:

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...PD_BwE&is=REG&sku=1​342131 (external link)

What I'm wondering is, if you look at the 7" reflector, it has a slit on the bottom that lines up with the umbrella mounting hole. This allows for the umbrella shaft with pass through it and connect to the light. Is there a bowens compatible ring that can provide that second point of contact with the shaft, protect the bulb (more than just a bare bulb on the end) and allow more spread of light? I don't feel comfortable with the bulb being so "exposed" that if I were to drop the light, it would shatter, whereas the 7" reflector should stop some kind of damage to the bulb, know what I mean?

F2Bthere
676 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Sep 14, 2017 10:29 |  #1269

mhickman wrote in post #18451995 (external link)
What I'm wondering is, if you look at the 7" reflector, it has a slit on the bottom that lines up with the umbrella mounting hole. This allows for the umbrella shaft with pass through it and connect to the light. Is there a bowens compatible ring that can provide that second point of contact with the shaft, protect the bulb (more than just a bare bulb on the end) and allow more spread of light? I don't feel comfortable with the bulb being so "exposed" that if I were to drop the light, it would shatter, whereas the 7" reflector should stop some kind of damage to the bulb, know what I mean?

I'm afraid I don't.

I have actual Bowens manufactured monolights (travelite 750s) and a reflector very similar to the one I provided a link to. From your description and what I have, I can't make sense of your question. But I do not have the light you have, which may have some other connection point for umbrella shafts.

If you look at the link I provided, do you see the connector you are looking for? Can you provide a link or picture with an arrow about which part you are referring to?

mhickman
Joined Nov 2014
Sep 14, 2017 11:30 |  #1270

F2Bthere wrote in post #18452092 (external link)
I'm afraid I don't.

I have actual Bowens manufactured monolights (travelite 750s) and a reflector very similar to the one I provided a link to. From your description and what I have, I can't make sense of your question. But I do not have the light you have, which may have some other connection point for umbrella shafts.

If you look at the link I provided, do you see the connector you are looking for? Can you provide a link or picture with an arrow about which part you are referring to?

So, this slit sits about halfway back from the reflectors edge and is first point of contact until the umbrella locks in to the light via screw. Similar to the Bowens ring above, I see it has a screw that attaches the umbrella. What I'm wondering is, is there a manufacturer that makes a Bowens mount (the three nubs around the ring pictured below) that instead of sitting the end of the reflector so deep into the umbrella that it has a little more protection for the bulb, but is allowing more light to get around inside the umbrella?

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

F2Bthere
676 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Sep 14, 2017 23:19 as a reply to mhickman's post |  #1271

Looks to me like the design is different, at least compared to my Bowens units. it might be more challenging to find if it is non-standard.

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
Joined Oct 2006
Monrovia, CA
2 hours ago |  #1272

Black 2 Basics...

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4436/37370060125_09d6680265_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/YWgj​Vt] (external link)Black 2 Basics (external link) by Air Butchie (external link), on Flickr

Our beautiful model Ximpy wearing Stello Couture for this editorial in 2016... Applied hard edge contrast and converted to B/W for the final product... Shot at dusk, transitioning to night... 1DX + 16-35LII... ISO 400, f/2.8 @ 1/125sec... Profoto B1 (bare) strobe for drastic fill light... Strobe was high above and slightly left of model... Profoto Air Remote TTL-C used for wireless trigger...

:)

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vaultexternal link

sponsored links

403,167 views & 2966 likes for this thread
Using a single strobe (NOT hotshoe flash)- creative examples - mark III
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.