Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 28 Sep 2008 (Sunday) 14:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What's Your Computer Build?

jcothron
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Gainesville, GA
Aug 30, 2017 10:10 |  #1906

Since the one I built in 2010 just had an operating system crash (i7-930 oc @ 4 ghz, 12 gb ram, 4 1tb data drives in raid 10) I had to go through getting that one up and running again.

I also built a new one, and so far I'm really loving it.

i7-7700k & 4.2Ghz
32GB of DDR4 ram
2 M.2 2280 500Gb SSD's running mirrored for the operating system, software (just Lr and Ps), with Lr catalog, previews, etc. on the drive as well.
1 120GB Sata SSD doing nothing but ACR cache and Ps scratch disk
4 2TB WD Gold Series running in raid 10 for image storage
Nvidia GTX1060 video card
NEC PA272 wide gamut monitor

For my purposes this system is blazingly fast. I'm getting 3400MB/sec sequential reads, and about 2500MB/sec random reads from the operating system drive.

The other system I'm re-purposing for running office, and other assorted software, as well as an additonal back-up location on top of external drives, NAS, and cloud.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|500px (external link)

sponsored links
griesmonkey
Joined Jan 2013
Columbus, OH
Aug 30, 2017 10:20 as a reply to jcothron's post |  #1907

What did that system set you back? About $3k?

Canon 7D Mark II - Sigma 50-150 OS - Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 - Canon 10-18mm

jcothron
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Gainesville, GA
Aug 30, 2017 10:38 |  #1908

griesmonkey wrote in post #18440728 (external link)
What did that system set you back? About $3k?

a little under if you don't include the monitor, the monitor itself was pretty expensive.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|500px (external link)

heldGaze
Joined Nov 2008
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 19 days ago by heldGaze.
Sep 01, 2017 21:05 |  #1909

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18440451 (external link)
I find this sad every year. IMHO Armistice day had an urgent importance for us all to remember.
Not that Veterans shoudln't be remembered as well, (they deserve their own day! ) but in essence we took a day that was supposed to remind us NOT TO EVER allow the world to go back to war,. and now it's original meaning is lost.

I recall how my grandparents still stopped what they were doing at 11:00am and yes, as a child, the local church still rang it's bells.

I didn't really mean to derail the conversation too far off-topic so I'll leave this as my final post on the subject. But I find the idea that you can end war with a war deeply ironically flawed. The War to End All Wars, didn't even last a generation. To solve war, the root causes need to be addressed, and as far I can tell there are 3 root causes of war: religion, politics (or really the seeking of power over others) & hunger. I don't think any religion is lacking culpability, nor is any political faction. Hunger can sometimes have its culpability laid on a specific individual or groups feet, but generally I see it as a problem to be resolved but the entire world, with the greatest abilities to address the issue in the hands of those with wealth, education and/or access to resources. And it is one of the 3 root causes that I feel can be directly addressed by science should those other 2 root causes get out of its way. But if we think wars over oil were awful, wait until wars over water become the norm. Science has the ability to improve the generation & distribution of cheap energy, which then can drive desalination plants to alleviate the shortage of clean fresh water. It has the ability to improve agricultural techniques and products, dwarf wheat being a wonderful example of how GMO plants can eliminate starvation deaths. And if we solve hunger, we can also reduce the other 2 root factors, in that if people have easy & cheap access to food & water, they have less of a desire or actual need to exert power over others to claim limited resources. One can dream of a time when we capture the insane amounts of energy blowing past Earth every instant, and put that energy to use producing crops & cleaning water.

That's not to denigrate or downplay the ideals of those who believed they were fighting the struggle to end war. It is certainly a nobel cause, even if I view the means misguided. Many great people sacrificed for what they believed would truly improve the human condition.

BUT, now back to computers for me. If you enjoy this discussion you can PM me instead of allowing me to derail this thread further off-topic.
Edit: As may be clear from my posts, I am a progressive, but I also value rationality, and feel science is the method we've created to discern the truth by doing our best to eliminate personal biases & self-delusion. I am always open to listening to differing point of views, questioning my own views & conclusions,
as long the person with whom I am discussing shares that approach & is willing to discuss politics & religion dispassionately, honestly and avoid polemics & proselyzation.

Cameras: Sony α7R II, Canon 40D, Samsung Galaxy S7
Lenses: Canon 11-24mm f/4 L, 24-70mm f/2.8 L II, 50mm f/1.8 II, Sigma 18-200mm
Telescope: Meade LXD55 SN-6" F=762mm f/5, with a 2x Barlow T-Mount
Retired Cameras: Canon SD300, Nokia N95, Galaxy S, S3 & S4
C&C Always Appreciated

MizzouMan_2000
Goldmember
1,618 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Peoria, IL Area
Sep 02, 2017 09:29 |  #1910

I received the new computer Thursday and have been in the process of setting up, installing software and so on. I haven't processed any raw files yet, but I can tell that Lightroom is letting me zip through jpegs faster. Hopefully this one will get me through another 9 or more years!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 7D | Canon EF 300mm f/4L USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon Speedlite 580EX

tdlavigne
288 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Post has been edited 18 days ago by tdlavigne.
Sep 02, 2017 22:53 |  #1911

Just upgraded some stuff, hopefully this'll last me a while until I can make an informed decision on the iMac Pro's next year.

4.2ghz i7 7700k
Corsair Hydro h100i cooler
32gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance
GTX-1060 6gb
128gb Samsung SSD - OS
128gb Samsung SSD - Scratch disk and cache
512gb Crucial SSD - programs and games
2tb WD Blue - Images
850 Thermaltake PSU

Have an older 1080 Asus montitor, definitely need to upgrade soon.

Seems stable, much faster than the i5 7400 I replaced...at least for batch processing. Time will tell when I start messing around with video. I think even if I do go mac eventually this'll be nice to keep as a backup.

heldGaze
Joined Nov 2008
Atlanta, GA
Sep 03, 2017 19:57 |  #1912

Am I the only person with an Intel i7-7820X processor right now? If not, I'm curious about others results when attempting to overclock it. I paired it with an ASUS PRIME X299-DELUXE & Corsair Dominator 3000MHz memory, which of course will need to be overclocked as well to reach that frequency. I plan to assemble this tomorrow, many things go in the way the past few days, but I'm cleaning my work space this evening to get a jump on it tomorrow. I think the ASUS mobo is going to make overclocking this rather easy, despite the fact that the i7-7820X lacks that overclocking headroom of the i7-7700K.

Cameras: Sony α7R II, Canon 40D, Samsung Galaxy S7
Lenses: Canon 11-24mm f/4 L, 24-70mm f/2.8 L II, 50mm f/1.8 II, Sigma 18-200mm
Telescope: Meade LXD55 SN-6" F=762mm f/5, with a 2x Barlow T-Mount
Retired Cameras: Canon SD300, Nokia N95, Galaxy S, S3 & S4
C&C Always Appreciated

jurgensdigitalmedia
24 posts
Joined Oct 2012
South Dakota
Sep 14, 2017 01:01 |  #1913

Just built a new laptop through Lenovo for on-site editing and culling, also in IT so a few daily process for that.

I7-7600
32GB RAM
1TB SSD
Intel GeForce 940MX

A few other fun add ons, USB-C connection to use to charge the machine, or in turn charge something else, data transfer. 2 batteries on board, a 4 cell and I added a 6 cell. Im sitting at 60% and still have roughly 10-11 hours of use.

Desktop wise though, i dont have enough time to type it all out. i7, 16gb, multiple SSDs in mine...my wifes is an i5, 16gb, a couple SSDs.....storage server with about 12TB of storage. But looking at a better NAS solution.

spooky ­ action
Joined Jul 2014
Florida
Post has been edited 6 days ago by spooky action.
Sep 14, 2017 16:18 |  #1914

Building my first PC this weekend to replace my long-in-the-tooth 2009 24" iMac. Here are the components, all currently unopened in stacks on my desk like its Christmas!:

Intel i7-7700k
Asus Rog Maximus Hero IX Mobo
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb 3200 DDR4 Ram (got a good deal otherwise would have gone with 32gb)
500gb Samsung 960 EVO NVMe m.2 (presumably OS, LR catalog)
1 tb Samsung 850 EVO SSD
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
EVGA 750w Gold 80+ PSU
Noctua NH-D15 Dual Fan
Fractal Define R5 Case
BenQ SW2700pt Monitor (Irma has delayed its arrival, but not the end of the world)

I have an unopened 8tb WD easystore external hard drive that I may exchange for 2x4tb to mirror in the case.

Down the road I'll probably upgrade to 32gb RAM if 16gb is being choked and fill the second m.2 slot as deals show up.

Can't wait to do the build and start editing on a blazing fast machine with the BenQ monitor!

Josh
D810 - 24-70 f/2.8G ED - Zeiss 2/135 APO Sonnar

sponsored links

339,900 views & 81 likes for this thread
What's Your Computer Build?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.