Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk
Thread started 24 Aug 2017 (Thursday) 17:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon MT24EX replacement coming soon

SteB
Joined Oct 2008
Whitchurch, Shropshire, United Kingdom
Aug 24, 2017 17:15 |  #1

Usually I wouldn't post just a rumour, but as there's photos of the new Canon MT26EX I don't think there's any doubt. It's about time they replaced it. My MT24EX expired a few years back and I got it back from the Canon official service centre as too uneconomical to repair. Given how many problems others have had with the MT24EX I was never tempted to buy another one as it should have been due for replacement.
http://www.canonwatch.​com ...-twin-light-image-leaked/ (external link)

The photos appear to show it similar to the original, just with RT. I hope it's got weather sealing like the Canon 600EX RT. I won't be in a hurry to get it as I bet it will cost an arm and a leg, and the Yongnuo YN24EX is proving just as good as the MT24EX at a fraction of the price. I've thought most flashguns were grossly overpriced since the first dedicated TTL units started appearing in the 1980s. You've got some pretty standard non-expensive electronics in a cheap plastic case, and you pay a fortune just because the manufacturers keep the protocol of the flash/camera interface secret. Maybe when the first dedicated TTL units came out they could claim they were recouping development costs, but well over 30 years later I think that excuse no longer washes. Rant over, but I do wish the manufacturers would charge reasonable prices for what is in reality standard electronic technology that hasn't changed much in the last 40 years.

sponsored links
orionmystery
Cream of the Crop
12,009 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Malaysia
Aug 25, 2017 00:51 |  #2

Thanks, Stephen.

When is Canon going to do away with the wires? :D

Kurt, 70D/40D, Laowa 15mm, 60mm F2/270EX, MP-E65/MT-24EX for full flash (external link), Sigma 150 +1.4x TC for natural light (external link).
Plan a macro/herping trip with us:
Borneo Herp Tour Nov 2017 (external link)

racketman
Cream of the Crop
20,653 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2005
Richmond Surrey
Post has been edited 3 months ago by racketman.
Aug 25, 2017 15:41 |  #3

Always thought printers were a bargain but then there's the ink.....:eek:

Toby
6D, 80D, 100D & Olympus EM-1 MKII
Flickr collections (external link)
Gear

Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
Hampshire, UK
Aug 27, 2017 07:53 |  #4

Toby; I think the printers are just a loss leader for ink sales.

I am surprised the heads were not wireless, I guess the downside would the battery weight, but then the cables seem to be this bit most folks wear out.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

MatthewK
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Aug 28, 2017 19:57 |  #5

New flash, reportedly $989.

AHHHAHAHAAA come on, Canon is in La-La Land..

flickrexternal link

Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
Hampshire, UK
Aug 29, 2017 00:16 |  #6

Not a lot to make you want to upgrade there I can see.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,790 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Aug 29, 2017 00:21 |  #7

Announcement from Canon;
https://www.usa.canon.​com ...170829-Lens/20170829-Lens (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

JasonC007
Joined Oct 2012
Derbyshire
Aug 29, 2017 03:51 |  #8

It doesn't look to be too much of an upgrade but at least the control box looks a lot smaller which is what I always wished for, oh and brighter model lights which is handy. While my MT24 is still working I might sell that to put towards this and see how it goes, I just need to redesign my diffusers unless the faces are the same size.

Canon 80D | 24-105L | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | MP-E65 f/2.8 1-5x Macro | Tamron 150-600 | Sigma 10mm Fisheye | EF 24mm f/2.8 Pancake | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT |
Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Sep 14, 2017 06:38 as a reply to JasonC007's post |  #9

I like the higher guide number as well -might have a little more "stopping power" than the MT-24EX. Also looks like the diffuser mounting tabs on the sides of the flash heads are bigger.

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Dalantech.
Sep 14, 2017 07:12 |  #10

From P4Pictures (external link):

The MT-26EX-RT is supplied with new clip-on diffusers for each flash head, which softens the light from the flash, preventing hard highlights from impacting images.

No image of the diffusers unfortunately, but at least the mounting tabs on the side of the flash heads has been redesigned (so third party diffusers should stay on a lot better). Also the flash can go down to 1/512 power in manual. the MT-24EX could only be set to a minimum of 1/64, so two extra stops with the MT-26.

My Blog (external link)

JasonC007
Joined Oct 2012
Derbyshire
Sep 14, 2017 07:16 |  #11

I think these are the diffusers so not that great...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 80D | 24-105L | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | MP-E65 f/2.8 1-5x Macro | Tamron 150-600 | Sigma 10mm Fisheye | EF 24mm f/2.8 Pancake | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT |

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Dalantech.
Sep 14, 2017 07:18 as a reply to JasonC007's post |  #12

True, not much better than the Sto-Fen or similar diffusers. Still might make it easy to build a diffuser from the stock set, and it should stay on better.

My Blog (external link)

JasonC007
Joined Oct 2012
Derbyshire
Sep 14, 2017 07:45 as a reply to Dalantech's post |  #13

Yes that will help a lot.

SteB
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2008
Whitchurch, Shropshire, United Kingdom
Sep 14, 2017 09:50 as a reply to JasonC007's post |  #14

I guess all that work macro photographers have done to improve lighting from the Canon MT24EX has gone right over the head of Canon. Nor do I just mean my diffusers, because there are a lot of people who've independently produced diffusers which greatly improve the light from the MT24EX. Just about the least effective diffusers ever produced for the MT24EX were the Sto-Fens, which were not that much different to the bare-heads. And what version of diffusers does Canon choose to supply with its MT26EX, but the least efficient diffusers. So much for listening to it's customers.

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Sep 16, 2017 03:13 |  #15

orionmystery wrote in post #18436415 (external link)
...When is Canon going to do away with the wires? :D

Honestly hoping that they don't. I've read too many complaints from Nikon users about the poor cycle time of the R1C1 and how it eats batteries.

My Blog (external link)

sponsored links

7,058 views & 13 likes for this thread
Canon MT24EX replacement coming soon
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.