Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 13 Sep 2017 (Wednesday) 02:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I rubbed my t-shirt on my sensor to clean it..

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Sep 13, 2017 13:29 |  #16

gjl711 wrote in post #18451120 (external link)
No joke, my mother-in-law was trying to scrub off baked on bugs from her car and when a rag didn't do it, she used a kitchen scrub pad. Totally destroyed the paint.

Many years ago my younger sister had her 1965 Mustang painted bright red. About 2 weeks later we were expecting rain, and because the Mustang had a small water leak at the window, my older sister decided to "help" by putting plastic sheeting over the window and securing it to the body using masking tape.

I think you know the outcome. Not pretty.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Left Handed Brisket. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 13, 2017 14:52 as a reply to Perfectly Frank's post |  #17

me and my dad restored a beat up '65 when I was 15/16. It was rough, but it was great way to learn a lot about cars and spend time in the garage away from the females of the house.

When I went to college the car was not at all what a punk kid should be driving through backroads of NC, so i got a modest new two door. The Mustang sat outside for a year or two with my dad driving it from time to time to keep it running. Inline six, three speed mind you, lol.

my younger sister ran into it while it was parked in the driveway. Smashed the whole back quarter panel that happened to be half full of bondo. I cannot tell you how many hours I spent filling and sanding that damn thing.

sister got one of those "it's okay sweetie" wink and a nod and didn't have to lift a finger to make it right.

grrr.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,014 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Wilt.
Sep 13, 2017 16:44 |  #18

ParkourExpress7097 wrote in post #18450968 (external link)
So I got my Canon EOS M3 today and took off the lid. I wanted to clean the sensor so I huffed on it and then cleaned it with my t shirt? Will it be alright?

Was your T-shirt sweated into, or was it fresh out of the wash & dry?! Dry means it is more likely to leave lint on the sensor.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,903 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Sep 14, 2017 08:13 |  #19

This is the most thorough way to clean my cameras I have found, it eliminates dust everywhere, including the focus screen, pentaprism, etc. It doesn't work for lenses though, they are still in rice bags since 3 weeks ago.

IMAGE: https://i.redditmedia.com/9ZTSS4Eb2OJPR0OKaovbgHENYcyk6JN6TqMntSWcCTw.jpg?w=320&s=58e0b672afa7c7fc508e73e343df9cd8

lol :D

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,024 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Post has been edited 1 month ago by gjl711.
Sep 14, 2017 08:21 |  #20

Poor 7D. The camera gets no respect from you guys.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,014 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Sep 14, 2017 08:39 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #21

Be sure to use distilled water to avoid mineral deposits, and only air dry, so as not to scratch delicate surfaces!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,903 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed.
Sep 14, 2017 08:42 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #22

You do have to use Dawn soap though, because as we know from Canon advisories, there could be oily deposits on the sensor from the shutter assembly, and if it works to cut through oil on wildlife, it certainly will cut through lubrication oil on the sensor. Very important step! The point about distilled water is great, and make sure that the T-shirt used to dry and clean everything afterwards is 100% cotton, as rayon and polyester will not be beneficial to the AA filter and sensor coatings.

Perhaps I am taking this too far, but it is fun once in a while! :D

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Sep 14, 2017 11:44 |  #23

Hey folks, if you used this product there would not be any need for sensor cleaning...honest! ;-)a

http://dust-aid.com/dust-shield/ (external link)

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,969 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Sep 14, 2017 11:52 |  #24

What you really need to use to clean a camera is "Best Universal Grit Grime and Effluent Remover"

As the advertising slogan goes: If Omo don't whiten it and Daz don't brighten it, BUGGER it.

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

sponsored links

11,405 views & 12 likes for this thread
I rubbed my t-shirt on my sensor to clean it..
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.