Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk
Thread started 02 Jun 2017 (Friday) 11:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New macro diffuser for MT24-EX

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Sep 14, 2017 06:49 |  #31

Hey Jason
I'd be interested in a set, but I plan on getting the MT-26EX when it comes out in November. Not sure if the dimensions of the flash heads are the same -can do a comparison with my MT-24EX when I get the new flash. Not really concerned about diffuser to subject distance -sometimes you just gotta give the critters a reason to let you get close. Like injecting a flower with sugar syrup...

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7073/26739569324_4041105efd_z.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/GJTh​nj] (external link)Feeding Honeybee VIII (external link) by John Kimbler (external link), on Flickr

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

sponsored links
Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Dalantech. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 14, 2017 06:58 as a reply to post 18440088 |  #32

Also thought you might like to see the "potato quality" video of my current diffuser:

I use the flash heads in a key (one at the top of the lens) and a fill (one at the side) configuration because the resulting shadows make the subject look more three dimensional. Having both heads at 180 degrees can result in the light looking a little flat.

My Blog (external link)

JasonC007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2012
Derbyshire
Sep 14, 2017 08:01 |  #33

Hi John,

Yes I plan on making them fit the MT-26, I just need to find out exact head sizes to adjust my drawings. I've just received a Yongnuo YT24 actually and I've just adjusted my drawings so they fit this flash too, I just need to print them off and test them.

I'm liking your new diffusers, especially the lego build, that's great! There is a never ending attempt to improve diffusers isn't there, but to be honest I think what most of us have already work well enough :)

Canon 80D | 24-105L | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | MP-E65 f/2.8 1-5x Macro | Tamron 150-600 | Sigma 10mm Fisheye | EF 24mm f/2.8 Pancake | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT |
Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Archibald.
Sep 14, 2017 09:54 |  #34

Interesting, I had not heard about the new MT-26EX. But jeepers, it's US $1000! How much better is it than the 24EX? Radio control has no value for me. The main improvement for me would seem to be that the focus aid lamps are brighter and are LED. But I doubt the refinements are worth $1000 for me.

As for the diffusers, my preference has been to diffuse at the subject and not at the lamps. So my diffusers are mounted on the front of the lens and not on the flash heads. This works well for me with the 100L and the 65mm when working hand-held outdoors.

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar (trying to sell it); Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Sep 14, 2017 14:58 |  #35

JasonC007 wrote in post #18451973 (external link)
...There is a never ending attempt to improve diffusers isn't there...

I don't think that someone is really a photographer unless they are obsessed with the light.

My Blog (external link)

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Sep 14, 2017 15:01 |  #36

Archibald wrote in post #18452061 (external link)
Interesting, I had not heard about the new MT-26EX. But jeepers, it's US $1000! How much better is it than the 24EX?

Better build quality, better focusing lamps, higher guide number (more "stopping power"). Maybe not an upgrade for someone who recently bought an MT-24EX, but a good choice for a first time buyer or for someone like me who's owned an MT-24EX long enough to get irritated with its shortcomings.

My Blog (external link)

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Sep 14, 2017 15:08 |  #37

JasonC007 wrote in post #18451973 (external link)
Hi John,

Yes I plan on making them fit the MT-26, I just need to find out exact head sizes to adjust my drawings.

I'd really be interested in buying a pair!

My Blog (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,892 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 14, 2017 23:44 as a reply to Dalantech's post |  #38

I certainly hope you don't mean that, in many situations you are unable to control the light. Perhaps you are only talking about macro shooting, and aren't painting all photography with a broad brush... ?

I am not obsessed about lighting but like to think I am a photographer, or my credentials for events are a lie. :)

I even dabble in macro shots once in a while. They're not great, but I am still a photographer, just not a good one I guess.

:D

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Still-Life/Macro-Magic/i-6sr2bgP/0/cf27828d/XL/potna-XL.jpg

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Sep 15, 2017 01:33 |  #39

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18452675 (external link)
...I certainly hope you don't mean that, in many situations you are unable to control the light...

Light is your color pallet, the "paint for your canvas". The quality of it will dictate not only the colors and contrast that you capture, but it can even influence the level of detail in your images. Part of being a photographer is finding ways to manipulate the light so that you can get the images that you want, or recognizing that no matter what you do the light quality is going to be poor so it's time to do something else...

My Blog (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,892 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Sep 15, 2017 05:51 as a reply to Dalantech's post |  #40

Again you don't always get to control the light, many situations where this is true.

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Sep 15, 2017 05:56 |  #41

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18452790 (external link)
Again you don't always get to control the light, many situations where this is true.

Agreed -great time to put down the camera ;)

My Blog (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,892 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Sep 15, 2017 06:01 as a reply to Dalantech's post |  #42

That is just silly. So all of us shooting events where we don't get to control the amount and type and direction of lighting due to our obsession with that should not take pics? Might as wipe away all those street scenes, drama, weddings, and sports then.

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Sep 15, 2017 07:16 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #43

Should probably take this into anther thread, but here goes: There are situations where a polarizing filter can be used to cut some glare in harsh light. For wedding photography there are a lot of tips and tricks for using non optimal natural light. For street photography I just wouldn't shoot mid day, or when it's overcast due to the poor colors and contrast. If you want to go out and shoot in harsh light be my guest -either the quality of your photos will suffer or you'll end up spending a lot of time in post "fixing" images. Odds are they'll just come out looking over processed. With artificial light there's just no excuse for poor light quality...

My Blog (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
Hampshire, UK
Sep 15, 2017 12:23 |  #44

Again, can we keep to the thread topic.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

JasonC007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2012
Derbyshire
Sep 20, 2017 11:50 |  #45

Dalantech wrote in post #18452347 (external link)
I'd really be interested in buying a pair!

Sorry, I've been catching up with some back orders but I should have a set next week to send you. I will send you a PM.

Canon 80D | 24-105L | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | MP-E65 f/2.8 1-5x Macro | Tamron 150-600 | Sigma 10mm Fisheye | EF 24mm f/2.8 Pancake | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT |
Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

sponsored links

10,289 views & 18 likes for this thread
New macro diffuser for MT24-EX
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.