Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 13 Sep 2017 (Wednesday) 03:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Shooting a ceremony in the middle of the day.

George ­ Zip
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2015
Sep 13, 2017 03:57 |  #1

I have a wedding coming up and the ceremony is in the middle of the day outdoors without any cover. The sun will be directly above us, and the time of year here is REALLY bright. So I am a bit stuck for options like backlighting them and so on.

I have set expectations REALLY low for the ceremony shots, I have told them it is the worst time of day, and they are cool with it. So I am off the hook there.

At the same time, I am wanting to do the best I can. I have been experimenting with fill flash that time of my day with my daughter in a white dress. About the best I can come up with up using on camera flash is dialling EC to about 1 stop under, TTL with HSS, and flash comp at 3/4 under. I preserve most of the dress and do a so so job of filling in the shadows. Equipment is a 5D4 and a 630ex flash with the usual lenses. I am wanting to avoid setting up light stands and so on. i am not sure if it would be much help anyway. I tend to shoot in AV for this sort of thing so I can be more nimble. I shoot manual for indoor shots with flash when shooting the family shots as I have them hostage at that point.

I am curious how you guys would tackle this. Am I looking at this the right way?

sponsored links
BlackBull
Joined Sep 2012
Lancashire
Sep 14, 2017 06:36 |  #2

Personally I never use flash during a ceremony and in this situation with very harsh sunlight I probably wouldn't use it either. The reason for this is because I take a lot of shots during a ceremony so using a flash with every shot would get very distracting.

The sun is going to give you some harsh shadows but I'd just accept it and roll with it. Set your exposures for the couples faces so you expose correctly for them. You might blow detail in the bright sky on some shots but that's fine.

You have an awesome camera with the 5D4 which has a great dynamic range so rely on it to be able to recover the shadows and highlights in post.

I hope you'll be back soon to show us how you got on.

Lancashire Wedding Photographer ǀ Rob Georgeson Photography (external link)

MBB89
228 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Sep 14, 2017 20:46 |  #3

You have 14 stops of dynamic range -- shoot RAW and use them. Try to minimize the extent to which your subjects are crosslit if you can. I usually default to AV and +2/3 in situations like this since if anything I'd rather blow out the sky.

At the end of the day, it was a bright sunny day and there were actually shadows on people's faces. So while you should pull some details out of the shadows, I don't think you need to worry about making them look non-existent.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Sep 14, 2017 20:48 |  #4

Wondering... ND filter?

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

George ­ Zip
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2015
Sep 14, 2017 21:19 |  #5

I still have this mentality to get it "right" in the camera. I should trust the technology more.

I just find that while you can recover shadows and so on, when people are involved, it never looks as good as when you get it about right in camera.

I am not scared of exposing for the people, I do that all the time. Especially where I live. It's always sunny. Typical day shots are people in shade and bright backgrounds... because it's so hot. Blowing out the background does not bother me at all.

Worst case scenario is I make them mainly black and white :)

But I will post some images here after the event.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Sep 14, 2017 22:24 |  #6

I got it... a HUGE skrim!

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Riversifu
Joined Feb 2011
Oregon
Sep 15, 2017 12:44 |  #7

I just shot a wedding this August. It was during mid-day as well. Also, the ceremony was in the direct sun in the middle of a grove of trees so the light to dark was extreme. I also use a Canon 1D mk4 and a 5D2. I did use flash for the posed shots but that was it. Like I saw above there is plenty of dynamic range with the 1D4 and I used all of it and it handled the situation like a champ. I used AV and maybe a third of a stop under maybe more to keep the sky from blowing out. It worked out. Sleeklens had just approached me and asked me to try their workflows and Lightroom presets and write a review on them. I am not a preset person but I gave it a try and actually found a few good starting points in their wedding collection and a look that worked well with the light.

I too told the folks that it was not a great time for really good photography but I was able to get shots that I am happy with. So basically like was said above, no flash except for the portraits and uses the dynamic range of the camera. Well, that is my two cents. Good luck.

George ­ Zip
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2015
Sep 16, 2017 02:51 |  #8

Riversifu wrote in post #18453015 (external link)
I just shot a wedding this August. It was during mid-day as well. Also, the ceremony was in the direct sun in the middle of a grove of trees so the light to dark was extreme. I also use a Canon 1D mk4 and a 5D2. I did use flash for the posed shots but that was it. Like I saw above there is plenty of dynamic range with the 1D4 and I used all of it and it handled the situation like a champ. I used AV and maybe a third of a stop under maybe more to keep the sky from blowing out. It worked out. Sleeklens had just approached me and asked me to try their workflows and Lightroom presets and write a review on them. I am not a preset person but I gave it a try and actually found a few good starting points in their wedding collection and a look that worked well with the light.

I too told the folks that it was not a great time for really good photography but I was able to get shots that I am happy with. So basically like was said above, no flash except for the portraits and uses the dynamic range of the camera. Well, that is my two cents. Good luck.

Thanks for the tips.

I am probably overthinking this.

I would be interested in having a look at the shots with those presets if it is not inappropriate. I am not a preset guy either. I have a heap that I have made for myself, but I have never really used other peoples.

Riversifu
Joined Feb 2011
Oregon
Sep 21, 2017 12:39 as a reply to George Zip's post |  #9

Here is a link to the review I wrote, well sort of, it is not much of a review but there are a few photos there that I used their presets for a beginning point. http://www.luitenimage​s.com ...er-thine-wedding-workflow (external link)

sponsored links

678 views & 2 likes for this thread
Shooting a ceremony in the middle of the day.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.