Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 04 Sep 2017 (Monday) 19:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

POTN G-Series Speed Challenge # 654: Freebie Week

teekay
Goldmember
2,595 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been edited 2 months ago by teekay.
Sep 11, 2017 22:57 as a reply to post 18449870 |  #16

I live and learn, Rafael.:oops: My monitor (Dell) is not top-end or expensive, but it does have 1920x1080 resolution and my photo just fitted in that even with Windows 10, so I assumed (obviously incorrectly) that most serious photographers posting here would have at least that.

In future I''ll try and avoid verticals.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,190 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Sep 11, 2017 23:09 |  #17

teekay wrote in post #18449862 (external link)
I assumed that most photographers here would be using big monitors, far better than mine, to work with.

Yeah, the imagined grass may seem greener beyond the fence even if it's in fact a weed patch. This is a 15" MacBook Pro. The machine is a "pro," but I'm not. The room it's in, architecturally a bedroom, I adapted originally as a workspace for doing things on paper. Then home computers came along. I still do things on paper, and there isn't room here for a modern setup that makes a computer the star of the show. Little Mackie has to share the table with other equipment.

About 600 px of height fits on my screen. An image in vertical format for the G-series competition must be at least 800 px tall, so there are times when I can't even see the whole of my own entry at once. I usually don't see images at full POTN size when editing them, either.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Trumper
729 posts
Joined May 2003
Sep 12, 2017 03:47 |  #18

teekay wrote in post #18449875 (external link)
In future I''ll try and avoid verticals.

Don't you dare ,we wouldn't see wonderful photos like this if you did.

corythosaurus
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
Rocky Mountains
Sep 12, 2017 19:37 |  #19

Trumper wrote in post #18449975 (external link)
Don't you dare ,we wouldn't see wonderful photos like this if you did.

I concur. Spinning my mouse roller is not even noticeable. Keep up the good work!

Websiteexternal link - Facebookexternal link

CarloY
675 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post has been edited 2 months ago by CarloY.
Sep 15, 2017 01:35 |  #20

Hey All,
Hey!.

Yeah, I should have come up with something for the recent "Open" Challenges.

I wanted to drop a note that may help with image viewing.
I have found Canon's bundled software (DPP or other photo programs pre_2010) pretty good.

However, I mainly rely on a free Windows program named IrfanView. (best to download it directly from links and mirror-servers on their site: irfanview.com). I've used it happily for ~15 years, Win Vista and Win 10 currently.

The reason I push it here is the ease of toggling between viewing full 100% (original size... scrolling if needed) and simply hitting "Enter" to view Full Screen and scaled-to-fit. Hit Enter again to return to 100% resolution in App window. I can also press "+" key or "-" key multiple times to zoom in or out.

Lots of other great features in Irfanview for photo tuning & tweaking: auto white balance adjust; intuitive & easy color tone and brightness adjust; and... Save_as (copy) with say a 85% Quality (slider setting) -- which might reduce image filesize from 4MB to 400KB (or for Forum uploads, simply set to Max 150kb file size).

'Nuff said.
BTW, I never rely solely on the Forum image handling if I want to seriously appreciate the work/art. The Browser (FF) and forum pages combo does not seem quite right in its presentation.

[my laptop display is 1600 x 1050, my desktop/external display is larger ~20 in. at 1680 x 1050) --- so I guess that helps too]

Cheers

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

3,909 views & 13 likes for this thread
POTN G-Series Speed Challenge # 654: Freebie Week
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.