Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk
Thread started 13 Sep 2017 (Wednesday) 14:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Offered NCAA/NBA credentials... what do you think?

MulesAFpilot
Joined Jul 2007
Sep 13, 2017 14:53 |  #1

I wanted to run this by the masses to see what y'all think. I was sent a message on flickr by someone from thewing.es. Apparently it's a new spanish NBA related website. Here is the message below:

Hello,

We have started a new website called The Wing, which is going to pick the best stories around the NBA in Spanish, we have identified that there is void of quality journalism and we are determined to fill this void. We have noticed (from your profile in Flickr, MulesAFpilot) that you are a really good photographer and you are interested in sports.

For that and because we are also interested in covering the NBA Draft, we were thinking if you would be interested in covering some games of the men's basketball NCAA and of the NBA if possible. We would get you the credentials, so you would watch the games for free, and in exchange we could get some photos of those games (in a non-exclusive agreement if you want)

Obviously we would indicate in each and every photo that you are the original author (using your Flickr username, your real name or any other way you’d prefer). Also, we would like to use the ones you have already posted if we need them.

We are open to discuss all of the ideas explained above to get to an agreement and adjust them to our needs.

Thank you for taking time in reading our email, we would really appreciate an answer.

The Wing

In the world of constant scams and people trying to get free photos, what do y'all think about this? I personally think it's someone saying that taking my time working, even if I'm at a game for free, is worth free photos to them. While the chance to shoot at D1 basketball games (no NBA near me) would be a fun experience, I don't think it's really worth it to just give these guys free photos.

Thanks in advance

5D Mk IV | 70D | 40D | 16-35 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 100 f/2.8L Macro | 70-200 f/2.8L II | Σ 85 f/1.4 Art

flickr (external link)
My Airliners.net Collection (external link)

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,969 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Sep 13, 2017 15:34 |  #2

Well, call me "old fashioned" but if an organisation contacted me asking to use my photographs I would at the very least expect them to give me the full name and a telephone number of the person who was gong to be my contact, instead of expecting me to respond to an anonymous e-mail via Flickr (whatever that is). But as I said I'm old fashioned.

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

MulesAFpilot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2007
Sep 13, 2017 15:40 as a reply to john crossley's post |  #3

Yeah, I found it pretty odd as well. There wasn't even a listing of the website. I had to look it up myself to see if it was even a real site.

5D Mk IV | 70D | 40D | 16-35 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 100 f/2.8L Macro | 70-200 f/2.8L II | Σ 85 f/1.4 Art

flickr (external link)

PhotosGuy
74,714 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Post has been edited 1 month ago by PhotosGuy.
Sep 13, 2017 17:16 |  #4

I tend to agree with John.
Also, this "Also, we would like to use the ones you have already posted if we need them." stands out to me. I wouldn't want to give them the rights to that.
OTOH, I might consider shooting one game for free because it "...would be a fun experience," with the understanding that other games would be expenses paid at a minimum. And " (in a non-exclusive agreement if you want)" might be worth exploring as a income generator.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

MulesAFpilot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2007
Sep 13, 2017 17:23 as a reply to PhotosGuy's post |  #5

I'm just waiting for the, we'll get you the credentials, but due to the way things operate, we need $500 up front just to cover something.....

I'm not really sure what they're referring to with what I've posted lately. I haven't taken basketball photos in several years. Not sure what Division 2 football is going to get an NBA site.

flickr (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Sep 13, 2017 17:25 |  #6

In the famous words of Rasheed Wallace "Cut the Check"!

Say thanks but no thanks and run away fast.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,065 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Post has been edited 1 month ago by texkam.
Sep 13, 2017 20:26 |  #7

Agreed, a legit professional organization should have no problem including...
Name
Address
Phone number

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
uk
Post has been edited 1 month ago by bildeb0rg.
Sep 15, 2017 03:00 |  #8

I'd be tempted to bite on this. Ask them to send the game passes and travel itinery so you can bill them for expenses, but say they can't use anything posted previously as they belong to your previous employer (time? sports illustrated?). Say your only willing to supply RAW files, no jpegs, so theyll have to have them processed (or you can do it for an extra sum). Maybe have a little fun with it ;-)a

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
Joined May 2007
Tallgrass prairies of northwest Minnesota
Sep 15, 2017 06:08 |  #9

"Obviously we would indicate in each and every photo that you are the original author (using your Flickr username, your real name or any other way you’d prefer). Also, we would like to use the ones you have already posted if we need them."

Sounds to me like they want free images.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/128037573@N07/ (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,903 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed.
Sep 15, 2017 06:38 |  #10

Shooting within the NBA as I do, also be careful of the US legal lines you might be crossing. Most NBA/NFL and other pro sporting events have a blanket statement in your admission to the events that you cannot profit from photos you take at these, or even really record those events, unless you have received permission from the organization beforehand. So you will most likely need to file for a journalist credential to even do what they are asking you to do.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Sep 17, 2017 21:56 |  #11

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18452818 (external link)
Shooting within the NBA as I do, also be careful of the US legal lines you might be crossing. Most NBA/NFL and other pro sporting events have a blanket statement in your admission to the events that you cannot profit from photos you take at these, or even really record those events, unless you have received permission from the organization beforehand. So you will most likely need to file for a journalist credential to even do what they are asking you to do.

The quote in the OP states that the company would get him credentials.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

MulesAFpilot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2007
Sep 18, 2017 19:41 |  #12

I replied to them basically challenging their legitimacy, asking why they didn't give me a contact name, phone number or e-mail address. Also, said that getting free tickets isn't enough. It's been a few days... haven't heard back.

flickr (external link)

MulesAFpilot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2007
Sep 19, 2017 18:07 |  #13

I got a reply from them.

Hello,

We understand your skepticism, and we can keep discussing the offer through email: 3 e-mail addresses listed. I'll give you my phone number as well, but I live in Spain, so it would be really expensive to call I think. It is phone number

The website is www.thewing.es (external link)

We also understand your hard work as photographer shouldn't get to us for free, but as we said our budget is really limited for now unfortunately. Anything you might have in mind, we are open to discuss it.

Feel free to contact us with your doubts, proposals or anything. Thank you

Alex G,

The Wing

flickr (external link)

PhotosGuy
74,714 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Sep 19, 2017 18:35 |  #14

MulesAFpilot wrote in post #18456098 (external link)
I got a reply from them.

I guess it's up to you, now.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

MulesAFpilot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2007
Sep 19, 2017 18:42 |  #15

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18456119 (external link)
I guess it's up to you, now.

I guess I can always test the waters and see if I can do a KU game at Allen Fieldhouse. Not that I like KU, but just shooting a game at that arena would be awesome.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,279 views & 3 likes for this thread
Offered NCAA/NBA credentials... what do you think?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.