Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 15 Sep 2017 (Friday) 11:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Rangefinder digitals, options?

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 15, 2017 18:02 |  #16

Charlie wrote in post #18453186 (external link)
from my understanding, the stm lens isnt the issue, it's the camera (canon really doesnt have a slow stm lens). Every single lens made by sony is STM, and they have some very fast lenses. 35/55 are blazing fast.

I think the 22 stm may be one of the best 22mm's on the market, unfortunately, you really wont know it's fast until you shoot an M5, and the M5 is 700+, I'de never put that much money into an M5, that's just insanity.

The 40STM, 50STM are slow to AF too though. Even on other bodies (including 1D, 7D, 5D, etc). Not just on the EOS-M. The 18-55 STM focuses fast on the EOS-M and other APS-C bodies (T4i, 7D, etc). That 22 F2 STM is just slow to AF. But yea, the EOS-M1 in general has slow AF on its Live View. Maybe it's time to retire it completely. Or just give it to my daughter or something. I consider it worthless, as I treat it as a beater.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Sep 15, 2017 18:20 |  #17

MalVeauX wrote in post #18453188 (external link)
I really like range finder size and form.

But, that doesn't mean I'm not open to looking at something compact and small. Just as long as it keeps the larger sensor sizes and has good view finder ability (not just LCD), and a fairly wide/fast lens (35mm FOV around F2 is ideal for me). This is just for my laying around the house, walking in the park with the kid, out with the family, on vacation type thing where photography isn't my goal, my 5D/1D and stuff can do the job when I'm looking to do something purposeful there; this is just a casual simple small camera but not a cellphone.

Lord knows I've had my share of P&S's over the years in the 90's and early 2000's. Don't want a small sensor and a dinky zoom lens though.

Very best,

Personally, if I were looking with those criteria I'd be looking at one of Sony's fixed lens cameras. Unfortunately they think the RX1R is made of gold and charge accordingly. The RX100V looks like a good "carry" camera, but has a rather small sensor. The A6300 seems to fit the bill of what you're looking for, especially if you were to mount a pancake 35mm to it like the Rokinon 35 2.8.

Personally, I've been considering picking up a native FE 35mm for my A7RII for a similar reason as yours. Something better than my phone for those times when carrying a camera isn't part of the plan. I bought the Eos M kit back when it came out to fit that bill but the camera was such a disappointment that it just sat on the shelf.

Have you considered replacing the 5D? You could pick up and A7II, a compact 35mm, and an adapter. Then you'd have a nice carry camera that can also be used for portraits, landscapes, ect just fine with your regular Canon lenses, while using the 1D for foul weather or where top class AF is required.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Sep 15, 2017 18:31 |  #18

If you want an ovf in a small camera that has good ability to focus using old or manual lenses and not cost a lot its hard to beat the X-PRO1. You’ll get one for a not much with a little bit of haggling. As a plus Fuji’s F/2 lenses are not that expensive.

If you buy well it’ll cost you little to try. Plus it’s a nice camera to shoot with.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
Sep 15, 2017 18:44 |  #19

Legacy glass manual focus is a snap with focus peaking (why did we wait so long for this beautiful freaking feature). If you're bargain hunting for Fuji, skip the X-Pro1. Opt for an X-E2 or X-E2s instead for better focus features (- USD $300). Don't let the EVF scare you off. It's a terrific performer, and will only have you looking forward to the improved performance of the 3d gen Fuji offerings (e.g., x-pro2, x-e3). Cost of manual lens adapters without elements are nominal. Focal length reducer adapters that aren't called metabones are about $100. Add at least one native XF lens for AF (used the 18/2, 23/2, 35/2 are all -$300).

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,799 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Sep 15, 2017 19:02 |  #20

MalVeauX wrote in post #18453192 (external link)
The 40STM, 50STM are slow to AF too though. Even on other bodies (including 1D, 7D, 5D, etc). Not just on the EOS-M. The 18-55 STM focuses fast on the EOS-M and other APS-C bodies (T4i, 7D, etc). That 22 F2 STM is just slow to AF. But yea, the EOS-M1 in general has slow AF on its Live View. Maybe it's time to retire it completely. Or just give it to my daughter or something. I consider it worthless, as I treat it as a beater.

Very best,

they're slower than USM, sure, but they generally dont have problems tracking kids, which is a pretty significant criteria! STM lenses on a DLSR still feel like bullets compared to the sluggish EOS-M :-P

there's a light at the end of the road for STM lenses, simply fantastic for video. Quiet and smooth.

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18453199 (external link)
Personally, if I were looking with those criteria I'd be looking at one of Sony's fixed lens cameras. Unfortunately they think the RX1R is made of gold and charge accordingly. The RX100V looks like a good "carry" camera, but has a rather small sensor. The A6300 seems to fit the bill of what you're looking for, especially if you were to mount a pancake 35mm to it like the Rokinon 35 2.8.

Personally, I've been considering picking up a native FE 35mm for my A7RII for a similar reason as yours. Something better than my phone for those times when carrying a camera isn't part of the plan. I bought the Eos M kit back when it came out to fit that bill but the camera was such a disappointment that it just sat on the shelf.

Have you considered replacing the 5D? You could pick up and A7II, a compact 35mm, and an adapter. Then you'd have a nice carry camera that can also be used for portraits, landscapes, ect just fine with your regular Canon lenses, while using the 1D for foul weather or where top class AF is required.

I highly highly suggest the way you carry your camera. I have two bags that fit onto my belt loop, first the ILC-50 by lowepro. I was using that with the EOS-M until I became a sony shooter. With the sony and 35mm f2.8, I could get the cam in and out, but it would be very tight. with some sewing, I was able to remove all the padding and sew the bag back together. Ultra small setup that clips to a belt. It's my goto setup...... but since I have much more gear and been lusting for a fast 35mm again, I needed a bigger bag that would accommodate a smaller setup, but bigger than the older bag. I only recently discovered that Think Tank makes said bag, so small, that the biggest setup I could fit would be the A7rii + FE 85mm f1.8. That also means that basically most rangefinder glass would also fit in that case. So now, I'm back to experimenting with rangefinder glass again.... however my experiments will be extremely limited as I think the 50 and 85 are great glass. I was at the crossroads of 35 f1.2 or 35 f1.7 voigtlander, and settled with the 35 f1.7. Cost was no issue, they cost nearly the same. The 1.7 was a bit lighter, a bit smaller, and sharper, while the 1.2 seemed to have the best bokeh. Ultimately, the size turned me off, 400+ grams is kind of big, which doesnt even include the adapter.

anyhow, back to the subject, get the think tank digital hoslster 5 if you enjoy belt bags, I love them personally. it's a tad pricey being think tank, but find them second hand for a deal.

Sony A7rii x2 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Sep 15, 2017 19:59 |  #21

Fuji X100 series are not wide, IMO. 35mm is next to normal lens. Personally, I use it most. So, if you are well aware of X100 limitations, at 400$ it is, probably, best deal for OVF placed where it should be. It is great camera for in camera JPEG1. If for any reason you prefer walkaround pictures in RAW, double check to be not disappointed. Canon RAW is very different from FUJI story....

X PRO is big camera. Every time I look at it, here is no reason to switch from 5D series. IMO. 5DC with 24mm old Oly pancake will be about the same to haul around.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Osa713.
Sep 15, 2017 23:19 |  #22

Another vote for the X-PRO1 with an F/2 prime. you can find some used that are not a fortune. Fuji's JPEGS and the film simulations are amazing at saving time when editing if you are looking for a walk around solution.

Scottboarding
Joined May 2016
Sep 16, 2017 00:47 |  #23

I would say the Fuji X100S would be a good bet. It 90% the same as the X100T, but far cheaper. I've never used it, but I've heard fantastic things about it. It's the rangefinder style, APS-C, 35mm equivalent lens.

Olympus E-M1 - Mitakon 25mm f0.95 - Olympus 25mm f1.8 - Olympus 17mm f1.8
Nikon FM2n - Nikon Ai-s 28mm f2.8 - Nikon Ai 50mm f1.4
Ricoh GRii

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Sep 16, 2017 04:40 |  #24

kf095 wrote in post #18453237 (external link)
X PRO is big camera. Every time I look at it, here is no reason to switch from 5D series. IMO. 5DC with 24mm old Oly pancake will be about the same to haul around.

X-PRO1 is a lot smaller and lighter than a 5D. And size is only one of the many reasons someone might move towards shooting mirrorless.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 16, 2017 10:03 |  #25

Hrm,

I could be interested in that A6300, maybe that 20mm F2.8 lens. But, don't care for the look much. Not that it's terribly important how it looks. Though I guess nostalgia gets me when it comes to some of the other bodies and how they look (Fuji, Olympus, Lecia, some of the full frame Sony). Price is a little cranky for a general day to day camera for fun.

As for changing out my 5D classic, the only reason I shoot an old 5Dc is because I simply like the old RAW files and it's comfortable to shoot legacy glass, and modern glass, and is inexpensive and totally replaceable. I had two of them, only traded one out for another 1D body because I had too many cameras (9 at the time, ugh). Finally sold most of those bodies and slimmed back down to about 4 cameras. Now I'm looking to finally let go of the EOS-M and have a compact. I'm happy with my 5D for portrait, 1Ds for wildlife, birding, fishing, and my 650D is basically dedicated to astro and sits on my telescopes and tracking mounts. The EOS-M used to be my jacket-pocket camera, but my S7 does a better job for spontaneous stuff with my family, but I hate using my phone, and I really miss the texture and results of a decent camera. So it has me looking again at small compact but large sensor cameras. So, seeing what has changed over the years.

Looking back:

Olympus - The Pen series look nice. Some of them are very affordable. I could probably live with a M43 sensor, but I don't prefer it, simply because I know that most spontaneous shots when I'm with my family are in fairly dim light. I'm ok with high ISO, noise, etc. I shoot an old 5Dc still because it cleans up so easily in post from RAW. But I do worry about a small M43 sensor and noise and ultimately dynamic range as well, at high ISO, in lower light. Don't care about AF, really, because I'd happy to manual focus anyways. But, it has to have a good system for manual focus. The EVF and LCD of these cameras are there, but not sure how well they really handle it.

Sony - I like the smaller A6X00 series bodies, still smaller, and can grab normal glass, and APS-C sensor is a good size for the smaller body. Not happy with the price, would need to find a great used deal. But, cheap glass can be had, though mostly F2.8, other than legacy glass. The idea of focus peaking, eye focus, etc, all looks really great though, and is appealing. I don't care for the body style, but I can overcome that if it's super usable in low light at higher ISO and has great manual focus support features. Worth looking into. I'm always interested in a newer Sony body (The A7S has the features that I'm mostly interested in for a day to day camera, but I don't want yet another big camera system to support).

Fuji - I like the smaller bodies, I like the optical viewfinders, and I'm totally ok with a standard lens and no way to change it. Price is good. Lens is good. Fuji seems to check all the boxes for what I'm looking for in a small compact camera, but, I don't want to get hung up on one thing. The X100 & XPRO1 series seems to have what I'm looking for. I also worry about the RAW support. I'm used to only shooting RAW, but then again, I'm used to really old cameras with poor JPG engines. Maybe a newer camera with a modern JPG engine is fine? Fuji glass looks attractive, but, new costs on some of their nicer glass is really costly. Was also looking at the E1, also affordable, but I guess I need to experience the EVF to know if it's ok for me. Again, I really like manual focus so want tools for good manual focus. The X-E2s is also affordable. Not excited about the pancake 27mm F2.8 lens though. Much more interested in the 23mm F2 pancake (but it's not part of the interchangeable systems) or the 18mm F2 pancake (pricey). The 23 F2 WR is very costly and much bigger. Would definitely prefer a pancake as an option. Again, not looking to have several lenses. Just one.

Leica - Everything I'd love to have, but I won't spend $4k~6k for it. Definitely not for a companion to my other system. Maybe if I ever just completely toss my Canon system and all my lighting. But not today.

I suppose I need to get down to a brick & mortar store and hold a few different models and look through them. See what an EVF is like. See what these hybrid OVF's are like.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Sep 16, 2017 12:02 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #26

For Raw support Fujifilm are launching a new app that will allow you to use the JPEG engine in the camera to convert your raw files, the app runs on your pc/mac and you just connect the camera with a USB cable, it includes the ability to batch edit. The X-E2 was a big upgrade over the X-E1, better EVF too.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Sep 16, 2017 13:14 |  #27

MalVeauX wrote in post #18452972 (external link)
Hey all,

I have this itch to have a smaller walk around camera. I love shooting my 5D classic and a small prime. However, I also often want something smaller even. My EOS-M is my smallest option with the pancake lens (22mm). It's fine for the most part, does the job. It's definitely the size I wish something else could be. My problem with it, is that it uses the LCD for everything and it cannot be used manually easily (have to electronically turn off autofocus, and the lens itself isn't good for MF, very poor MF control on the barrel). I have manual lenses (M42 mount) that I use on my 5D classic often, and those I really enjoy. For my general walk around stuff, I actually weirdly prefer manual focus and I like the wider angles from common focal lengths I use (28mm~58mm).

So I'm wondering, are there other smaller full frame options that are digital that have that range finder feel?

I can't spring on a $4k+ Leica, even though it's what I want (especially the monochrome one). But, can't do that.

I've looked at Fuji, but I don't like the idea of an EVF, I want optical. Fuji glass is very costly though, even if I got a small used body. I don't want to turn this into a costly system.

I've looked at Sony a bit. Not sure if the body sizes and styles are what I'm wanting though (again like the idea of optical viewfinder, not just EVF).

Ideally I'd like to be able to just continue using old inexpensive manual lenses; I just like them. I'm not looking to change systems entirely. Mainly just to compliment.

Any ideas for cameras I'm not considering or may have missed or not thought of?

Summary:

Rangefinder style body (small, compact, ideally full frame, but could do APS-C or APS-H)
Can be used without an LCD, EVF is ok, but prefer something that allows fast manual focus via optical viewfinder (I'm used to old viewfinders & manual focus)
Prefer a body that is happy with manual focus lenses
Prefer a body that can adapt M42 glass, or similar old lenses, and not require a $600+ lens to compliment the body

Ideas?

Fuji X100F (optical viewfinder) and X100T (optical viewfinder & image stabilization) for example really appeals to me. Just don't like the price. Maybe what I'm looking for doesn't exist?

Very best,

None of the X100's have optical stabilization. That being said, I've not found they need it. You sound like you would love Fuji. Pick up a used X-Pro1, X-E1 or X100 (I see each under $300 regularly on FM) and the 18mm f2 or a 35mm and I don't think you'd be at all disappointed.

MalVeauX wrote in post #18453125 (external link)
Hrm,

The XPRO1 has a lot of what I'm looking for, and used ones are around $400 where I've just looked. That may be an option. $400 is totally doable for dabbling with a new camera system. Looks like I can adapt old glass to the Fuji X mount too with a basic adapter and use what I have. But, I also really like the idea of a small wide prime that has good long throw manual focus (though maybe a modern manual like a Rokinon would be more my speed).

I really really would want that 23mm F1.4 or the 16mm F1.4, but I'm definitely not paying those prices. That would be if I changed systems.

As for the Sony bodies, can't seem to find a good one that is cheap used. Everything is pretty much around $800+. I would be willing to try a focus peaking EVF with in-body stabilization. Just don't want to swap systems just yet.

It would be so much easier if I just wasn't hung up on the Rangefinder look/feel and manual lenses with a view finder. I just enjoy the "process" of shooting with them enough to care to see what's out there these days. I'm used to shooting Canon. I like to use my 5Dc and EOS-M for around the house, travel, walk around, with my kid, etc. But I really have always much more enjoyed my manual shooting with the 5Dc and an old prime than anything else. I've just never enjoyed autofocus for that sort of thing. I love autofocus for when I'm birding though... but that's different.

Hrm...

So Rokinon has a few interesting manual lenses that I'd be interested in that would go straight onto the Fuji mount without adapters with a 21mm F1.4 (manual focus, manual aperture for $385 new) and the 35mm F1.2 (also fully manual, $500ish).

Then again, a Fuji X100 with a 23mm F2 is $400 as a package used. I could totally dabble with something like that I suppose. Though I'd probably rather spend $400 and be able to try different lenses on it. Though ideally, I'd rather have one lens and it always be that. I really enjoy using 35mm FOV (full frame; 22mm on APS-C) for my "general" stuff. This could do that with a 23mm of several flavors. But I'd of course love to know how that Rok 21mm F1.4 feels on it, and it's not expensive.

Fuji XPRO1 with a Rokinon 21mm F1.4 maybe? That's about $800 roughly? Nevermind on the Rokinon 21mm. It's huge. Might as well use my 5Dc + 35 F2 IS instead there.
Or just a Fuji X100 with a 23mm F2 for a total of $400.
Or Fuji XPRO1 with a short slower lens like F2 or F2.8... preferably F2.
Really want something that has smooth manual focus around F2 though.

If I were swapping systems I'd just spring for the Leica. But, I'm not changing systems any time soon. But if I were, it would be a monochrome Leica hands down. I just can't do it right now. Maybe one day when its old.

Very best, :D

The Rokinon lenses are great. I have the 12mm f2, 21mm f1.4 and have been giving real thought to the 50mm f1.2 also. They're pretty small and very light, they compliment the Fuji bodies greatly (though not as well as the native XF lenses do). Another great small option is an Olympus PEN 38mm, these lenses can be found all day on ebay for around $100-150 and they're awesome.

Manual focusing with any of the Fuji's is a breeze. When using MF with the X-Pro1 with the OVF it will switch to a zoomed EVF mode automatically when you turn the focus ring on XF lenses and you can do so manually with a button press when using legacy lenses. The X-Pro2 is far better in this regard thanks to the electronic range finder (what Fuji calls it, not technically accurate), with this option you get a smaller corner LCD within the OVF so manual focus and nailing exposure is always easy.

PineBomb wrote in post #18453206 (external link)
Legacy glass manual focus is a snap with focus peaking (why did we wait so long for this beautiful freaking feature). If you're bargain hunting for Fuji, skip the X-Pro1. Opt for an X-E2 or X-E2s instead for better focus features (- USD $300). Don't let the EVF scare you off. It's a terrific performer, and will only have you looking forward to the improved performance of the 3d gen Fuji offerings (e.g., x-pro2, x-e3). Cost of manual lens adapters without elements are nominal. Focal length reducer adapters that aren't called metabones are about $100. Add at least one native XF lens for AF (used the 18/2, 23/2, 35/2 are all -$300).

X-Pro1's work fine for MF in my opinion, they're definitely lacking in the AF department, but certainly no worse than an EOS M. You can get X-E1's for $150 pretty often, at that price there's basically no risk in trying it out. I've even thought about buying one to convert it to IR.

kf095 wrote in post #18453237 (external link)
Fuji X100 series are not wide, IMO. 35mm is next to normal lens. Personally, I use it most. So, if you are well aware of X100 limitations, at 400$ it is, probably, best deal for OVF placed where it should be. It is great camera for in camera JPEG1. If for any reason you prefer walkaround pictures in RAW, double check to be not disappointed. Canon RAW is very different from FUJI story....

X-Pro cameras are definitely nowhere near as big as a DSLR. Yes, they're larger than most mirrorless bodies, but they still dwarf DSLRs, and they're way lighter.

As for the RAWs; I think this issue is so overblown it's ridiculous. It was a problem for a while with the 1st gen X-Trans sensors, but the issues don't really exist anymore. I've been using LR for my Fuji RAW files for years now, it works great (though a bit slower to load than other RAW types). The X100 doesn't even use X-Trans though, so it's RAWs are no different from any other manufacturer in LR.

Scottboarding wrote in post #18453371 (external link)
I would say the Fuji X100S would be a good bet. It 90% the same as the X100T, but far cheaper. I've never used it, but I've heard fantastic things about it. It's the rangefinder style, APS-C, 35mm equivalent lens.

I wouldn't say it's 90%, but it is pretty close. I would definitely try for an X100S over an X100 because I love the X-Trans sensors and I know they worked out a few of the hardware bugs in that iteration.

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18453409 (external link)
X-PRO1 is a lot smaller and lighter than a 5D. And size is only one of the many reasons someone might move towards shooting mirrorless.

This.

MalVeauX wrote in post #18453500 (external link)
Hrm,

I could be interested in that A6300, maybe that 20mm F2.8 lens. But, don't care for the look much. Not that it's terribly important how it looks. Though I guess nostalgia gets me when it comes to some of the other bodies and how they look (Fuji, Olympus, Lecia, some of the full frame Sony). Price is a little cranky for a general day to day camera for fun.

As for changing out my 5D classic, the only reason I shoot an old 5Dc is because I simply like the old RAW files and it's comfortable to shoot legacy glass, and modern glass, and is inexpensive and totally replaceable. I had two of them, only traded one out for another 1D body because I had too many cameras (9 at the time, ugh). Finally sold most of those bodies and slimmed back down to about 4 cameras. Now I'm looking to finally let go of the EOS-M and have a compact. I'm happy with my 5D for portrait, 1Ds for wildlife, birding, fishing, and my 650D is basically dedicated to astro and sits on my telescopes and tracking mounts. The EOS-M used to be my jacket-pocket camera, but my S7 does a better job for spontaneous stuff with my family, but I hate using my phone, and I really miss the texture and results of a decent camera. So it has me looking again at small compact but large sensor cameras. So, seeing what has changed over the years.

Looking back:

Olympus - The Pen series look nice. Some of them are very affordable. I could probably live with a M43 sensor, but I don't prefer it, simply because I know that most spontaneous shots when I'm with my family are in fairly dim light. I'm ok with high ISO, noise, etc. I shoot an old 5Dc still because it cleans up so easily in post from RAW. But I do worry about a small M43 sensor and noise and ultimately dynamic range as well, at high ISO, in lower light. Don't care about AF, really, because I'd happy to manual focus anyways. But, it has to have a good system for manual focus. The EVF and LCD of these cameras are there, but not sure how well they really handle it.

Sony - I like the smaller A6X00 series bodies, still smaller, and can grab normal glass, and APS-C sensor is a good size for the smaller body. Not happy with the price, would need to find a great used deal. But, cheap glass can be had, though mostly F2.8, other than legacy glass. The idea of focus peaking, eye focus, etc, all looks really great though, and is appealing. I don't care for the body style, but I can overcome that if it's super usable in low light at higher ISO and has great manual focus support features. Worth looking into. I'm always interested in a newer Sony body (The A7S has the features that I'm mostly interested in for a day to day camera, but I don't want yet another big camera system to support).

Fuji - I like the smaller bodies, I like the optical viewfinders, and I'm totally ok with a standard lens and no way to change it. Price is good. Lens is good. Fuji seems to check all the boxes for what I'm looking for in a small compact camera, but, I don't want to get hung up on one thing. The X100 & XPRO1 series seems to have what I'm looking for. I also worry about the RAW support. I'm used to only shooting RAW, but then again, I'm used to really old cameras with poor JPG engines. Maybe a newer camera with a modern JPG engine is fine? Fuji glass looks attractive, but, new costs on some of their nicer glass is really costly. Was also looking at the E1, also affordable, but I guess I need to experience the EVF to know if it's ok for me. Again, I really like manual focus so want tools for good manual focus. The X-E2s is also affordable. Not excited about the pancake 27mm F2.8 lens though. Much more interested in the 23mm F2 pancake (but it's not part of the interchangeable systems) or the 18mm F2 pancake (pricey). The 23 F2 WR is very costly and much bigger. Would definitely prefer a pancake as an option. Again, not looking to have several lenses. Just one.

Leica - Everything I'd love to have, but I won't spend $4k~6k for it. Definitely not for a companion to my other system. Maybe if I ever just completely toss my Canon system and all my lighting. But not today.

I suppose I need to get down to a brick & mortar store and hold a few different models and look through them. See what an EVF is like. See what these hybrid OVF's are like.

Very best,

I wouldn't worry too much about the smaller sensor size of the M43 cameras, I've seen lots of great images and comparisons with other cameras to prove those little sensors are very capable. The biggest hold up for M43 for me (and I think should be for you) is that adapting legacy glass to them isn't as efficient since your'e 50mm's become 100mm's and so on, to me this greatly limits the use of legacy lenses. Especially since when using a reducer on these lenses it really just pulls the lens closer to what the lens would be like on an APS-C body.

I had an a7S and loved it. I bought it because I realized from my previous cameras that resolution didn't matter much to me and a lot of people reported that it rendered similarly to the original 5D, something I always admired. I loved my a7S and it certainly rendered beautiful images, but just about everything about my Fuji's made me want to use them more. Ultimately I concluded I'd be happier with a full Fuji setup and ditched my a7S in favor of my X-Pro2 and I haven't regretted any part of that switch for a moment. To me the Fuji bodies are much more ergonomic, the lenses are fantastic (and all have aperture rings) and the files are beautiful SOOC, require very little manipulation.

Again, Fuji RAW support is great. If you'd like I can send you some RAWs to play with and you can see for yourself, I have cameras with the 16mp X-TransII sensors as well as the newest 24mp X-TransIII.

If you're not afraid to buy used, the Fuji system can be very cheap. I haven't paid more than $300 for any of my Fuji glass. My 18mm cost me $200, my 35mm was $300 and I had bought my 27mm for $225 (it's a fantastic lens by the way, probably the sharpest Fuji lens I had owned, the only reason I don't have it anymore is that I traded it with my X-E2 straight up for my X100T), you could have a Fuji setup for under $500 easily.

Leica's are great, no doubt. But to me they're way too expensive to fit the role of an everyday camera. One of the smaller reasons I sold my a7S is that I was tired of worrying about my expensive Sony kit all the time. I didn't want to have to fret to much about leaving it in the break room at work, or setting it on a table at a party etc. With my X100T I don't really worry about it at all... yeah, it would suck if someone stole it, but it wouldn't be that expensive to replace either.

If you'd like more thoughts on my switch/thoughts on Fuji compared to other brands, I made a blog post about it a while ago: http://everydaygetaway​.blogspot.com ...-full-frame-canon-to.html (external link)

Keep in mind that despite what people like to label me as, I'm not a fanboy. If someone else made something that peaked my interest I'd be right there looking at their offerings. If I had the cash lying around I'd love to get one of those new Hassleblad mirrorless cameras :) And I'm still praying that Canon (or Nikon) will stop messing around and come out with a DSLR the size of their classic ones already... modern digital Canon A-E1? Yes please.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 16, 2017 13:32 |  #28

Hrm,

I keep coming back to Fuji after looking some more. Watched some YouTube content.

Trying to be realistic, that this is not to replace my Canon system, but simply to be a nice little beater camera that I don't have to think about much with but also that is going to be inconspicuous, not being a big "dSLR" in someone's face, but rather just a smaller camera that folk tend to truly ignore. Makes candid family stuff a little more candid feeling. My EOS-M already does that, compared to me hulking around my 1Ds & 135L. It just gets old having to stand 20 feet away and they know I'm pointing a big kit at them, versus when my wee M is out and no one cares. Weird psychology.

Right now, just looking at KEH (love used stuff there):

Fuji X100S (23mm F2) $550
Fuji XPRO1 (no lens) $490
Fuji X-E2 (no lens) $370

Fuji 18mm F2 $350 - This could be nice.
Fuji 27mm F2.8 $350 - Don't like the idea of F2.8, didn't like the 40 F2.8 STM on a full frame either.
Fuji 23mm F2 WR $450 - I like it, but it's a big lens, I'd rather have a pancake.
Rokinon 21mm F1.4 $380 - This would be great, but, it's a huge lens and I'd rather have a pancake compared to 1 more stop of aperture.

I like the idea of the PRO1 or E2, since I can then fiddle with legacy glass and a basic pancake Fuji lens. But, I don't like the price of a camera + lens right now, even used, as that's at least $700 basically. Too much for the intended purpose of this camera, that for me is more of a system price, and I'm not looking to have a 2nd system.

Then again there's the M5 from Canon, but it's like $700~800. Not interested in buying a Canon APS-C at all. Not sure about Canon's EVF compared to others who have been in the game of EVF's longer too. But that price excludes it pretty much.

I may have just talked myself into trying an X100S?

Any X100 shooters that can relate and comment why they also have 1 or 2 other Fuji bodies? Especially knowing my context (day to day use, family cam with the girls, travel and out at the beach, just whenever we're doing whatever, around the house; good for manual focus, good for dim lighting in a house, etc).

Very best,

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,799 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Sep 16, 2017 13:37 |  #29

MalVeauX wrote in post #18453669 (external link)
Hrm,

I keep coming back to Fuji after looking some more. Watched some YouTube content.

Trying to be realistic, that this is not to replace my Canon system, but simply to be a nice little beater camera that I don't have to think about much with but also that is going to be inconspicuous, not being a big "dSLR" in someone's face, but rather just a smaller camera that folk tend to truly ignore. Makes candid family stuff a little more candid feeling. My EOS-M already does that, compared to me hulking around my 1Ds & 135L. It just gets old having to stand 20 feet away and they know I'm pointing a big kit at them, versus when my wee M is out and no one cares. Weird psychology.

Right now, just looking at KEH (love used stuff there):

Fuji X100S (23mm F2) $550
Fuji XPRO1 (no lens) $490
Fuji X-E2 (no lens) $370

Fuji 18mm F2 $350 - This could be nice.
Fuji 27mm F2.8 $350 - Don't like the idea of F2.8, didn't like the 40 F2.8 STM on a full frame either.
Fuji 23mm F2 WR $450 - I like it, but it's a big lens, I'd rather have a pancake.
Rokinon 21mm F1.4 $380 - This would be great, but, it's a huge lens and I'd rather have a pancake compared to 1 more stop of aperture.

I like the idea of the PRO1 or E2, since I can then fiddle with legacy glass and a basic pancake Fuji lens. But, I don't like the price of a camera + lens right now, even used, as that's at least $700 basically. Too much for the intended purpose of this camera, that for me is more of a system price, and I'm not looking to have a 2nd system.

Then again there's the M5 from Canon, but it's like $700~800. Not interested in buying a Canon APS-C at all. Not sure about Canon's EVF compared to others who have been in the game of EVF's longer too. But that price excludes it pretty much.

I may have just talked myself into trying an X100S?

Any X100 shooters that can relate and comment why they also have 1 or 2 other Fuji bodies? Especially knowing my context (day to day use, family cam with the girls, travel and out at the beach, just whenever we're doing whatever, around the house; good for manual focus, good for dim lighting in a house, etc).

Very best,

you've gotta consider equivalency. if you dont like 40 stm on FF, you certainly wont be satisfied with any of the fuji's you mention, save the 21 f1.4.

40 stm on FF is really a killer combo, but I can understand why you dont like it.

there is no magical small 35mm F2 on full frame/23mm f1.4 on crop, and it looks like that's your wish.

Only way you get that:

35 summicron
35 lux
35 nokton
35 ultron
23 f1.4 xf

Sony A7rii x2 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 16, 2017 13:44 |  #30

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18453649 (external link)
If you're not afraid to buy used, the Fuji system can be very cheap.

Keep in mind that despite what people like to label me as, I'm not a fanboy. If someone else made something that peaked my interest I'd be right there looking at their offerings. If I had the cash lying around I'd love to get one of those new Hassleblad mirrorless cameras :) And I'm still praying that Canon (or Nikon) will stop messing around and come out with a DSLR the size of their classic ones already... modern digital Canon A-E1? Yes please.

Thanks,

Nope, I'm virtually all used on gear. I would prefer it used, and don't care if it looks beat up. I like scuffed cameras. They've seen stuff.

Nah, I've seen you go from a 6D to a Sony to Fuji over time. I've still been kicking that 5Dc from a long time ago last we spoke of manual/legacy glass. Ended up with 2 5Dc's. Only recently let one 5Dc go and added a 2nd full frame again (too many bodies, tired of it).

I definitely don't want to end up having several lenses. The EOS-M has the 22mm virtually glued on it. I'm totally ok with a X100S I think, with the 23mm F2 permanently on there. My biggest concern with that camera is going to be the EVF/OVF and how that feels, especially with manual focus. I really like manual focus in darker situations where I can see depth of field (like on my 5Dc with the super matte screen), because I get what I want, and not what the AF was able to get. Battery life is nuts on cameras when you manual focus too, which is a huge plus.

Though, I admit, I could get sucked in easily now that Godox R2 works with Fuji. I'm a lighting nut.

Very best,

sponsored links

6,151 views & 98 likes for this thread
Rangefinder digitals, options?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.