Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 15 Sep 2017 (Friday) 17:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Goodbye Cassini

nardes
Joined Jun 2009
Australia
Sep 15, 2017 17:38 |  #1

Here is an image of the planet Saturn as seen from our back garden in Brisbane, taken through my telescope on the evening that the Cassini spacecraft made its fateful plunge into Saturn's atmosphere, ending this incredible mission just one-month shy of Cassini’s 20th launch anniversary.

The spacecraft and its impact are well beyond the ability of my telescope to resolve, so no live crash-and-burn photos.:-)

It was a poignant evening, gazing at the images on my computer screen as Saturn appeared to dance to the tune of the scintillations caused by the jet stream’s impact on the Earth’s atmosphere.

Cheers

Dennis

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 15, 2017 17:45 |  #2

Will be interesting to see what they publish tomorrow, if they do. They tend to publish within a day or two of receiving data and releasing to the public.

Will be super interesting to see the atmosphere right before it crushed Cassini.

I don't think any terrestrial telescopes will be able to resolve Cassini's fireball on Saturn when it happened around 8am. It's smaller than some of the ice crystals in the rings, and we can't even begin to resolve those.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Capn ­ Jack
Joined Mar 2010
NE USA
Sep 15, 2017 19:42 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #3

If it were bright enough, we could see it but larger than "actual size". It would appear at whatever resolution allowed by the sensor and lens system.

Single molecules are mostly much smaller (I'm not including polymers and some large biomolecules in the discussion) than the resolution allowed by light microscopes, yet we detect the light emitted by these routinely. See https://www.microscopy​u.com ...e-fluorescence-microscopy (external link) for a list of references.

nardes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2009
Australia
Sep 15, 2017 20:49 |  #4

I understand that as there is little/insufficient/no oxygen in Saturn’s atmosphere to support combustion, NASA were not expecting a fireball event?

Cheers

Dennis

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
9,916 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Carolina Beach
Sep 16, 2017 03:12 |  #5

Very nice shot of Saturn!

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,397 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Pekka with reason 'quote fixed'.
Sep 16, 2017 08:15 |  #6

nardes wrote in post #18453173 (external link)
Hotel...lighting from available lamps.

Very very nice capture of Saturn ! Thanks for posting .

nardes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2009
Australia
Sep 16, 2017 15:28 |  #7

Celestron wrote in post #18453458 (external link)
Very very nice capture of Saturn ! Thanks for posting .

Thanks, I appreciate your comments.:-)

Cheers

Dennis

PS - is this a Forum bug? I see that in your reply a different message is quoted from another post #18319151?

HOSTED PHOTO

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,224 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Sep 16, 2017 15:47 |  #8

nardes wrote in post #18453753 (external link)
Thanks, I appreciate your comments.:-)

Cheers

Dennis

PS - is this a Forum bug? I see that in your reply a different message is quoted from another post #18319151?
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by nardes in
./showthread.php?p=184​53753&i=i207919449
forum: Astronomy & Celestial

It is possible to quote any post, with multiquotes it is easy to pick them around the forums. It is wise to check the preview before posting, though. I'll edit the post for the correct quote now.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

nardes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2009
Australia
Sep 17, 2017 02:51 |  #9

Hi Folks

I just added some more IR 642nm data to my Saturn LRGB image and after performing “Digital Development” in Lightroom and “Add Space Object enhancement” in Photoshop CC, noticed a strange, geometric object in the bottom left hand corner – I wonder if this could be a candidate for the Cassini Spacecraft!:-);-)a :p

Cheers

Dennis

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

569 views & 15 likes for this thread
Goodbye Cassini
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.