Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing
Thread started 14 Jul 2017 (Friday) 19:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

DIY Geared Focus?

Temma
Joined Sep 2009
Rocky River, Ohio
Jul 14, 2017 19:43 |  #1

I've got a couple of 500mm mirror lenses, which are as widely acknowledged, difficult to focus.

I'm looking for DIY plans to build a follow focus TYPE device to help me move the focus rings in very small increments.

The problem that I've run into is that while I've found a lot of suggestions, almost all of them are for video, and rely upon the sort of video dual rod mount which I don't need and will never use for its intended purpose. I literally have no intention of EVER recording video.

The one or two exceptions I've seen seem to be designed for mirror lenses different from mine.

What I'm looking for is something relatively simple that's designed to attach either to the tripod socket of the camera or the auxiliary threaded hole on my "L" bracket.

I have a moderate selection of tools, but no ability to bend heavy metal parts, weld, etc.

EightEleven
Car enthusiast and an all around nice guy
Joined Nov 2012
Northeast Georgia
Jul 24, 2017 11:39 |  #2

THis...
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...wE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=1​000317 (external link)

Ron Snarski
flickr (external link)
C&C always welcome!

Temma
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2009
Rocky River, Ohio
Jul 25, 2017 10:07 |  #3

If it actually had a gear or roller mechanism to do the adjustments, it'd be exactly what I needed.

The problem with the lens is that depth of field is small and focus is sticky and coarse enough that it's tough to make small adjustments.

Functionally, this device isn't materially different from the one I've made using a hose clamp and a 1/4" - 20 eye bolt. The advantage that this device has is that if you're doing video, you can set up presets. Unfortunately, that's not something I will ever need.

Thanks anyway.

alright12
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Sep 17, 2017 00:07 |  #4

If I'm not mistaken, by saying, "for video", you mean to say, something like follow focus, right? I did also research about gear focus, but to no avail, none of them relevant to the said keywords appeared — results showed follow focus. For follow focus, I've seen a lot of DIY's use gear rings and a magnifying glass, which has its glass popped out.

666 views & 0 likes for this thread
DIY Geared Focus?
FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.