Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk
Thread started 18 Oct 2016 (Tuesday) 11:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Huntington Beach Air Show - Who's going?

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Oct 24, 2016 21:42 |  #16

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18165802 (external link)
I couldn't make it, maybe next year if they have it again.

For those who paid for the Aviator Beach Club I'd like your opinion. Do you feel it was money well spent?
How far away from the spectators did the planes fly? Was it a similar distance as when performed at an airport?

Looking forward to your photos!

Yep. Don't pay for the Aviator Club unless you'd like easier access to porta-potties and not have to go back to the parking lot and wait in line for food. The food was actually quite good I thought. Was catered by Legends, and they had: caesar salad, tri-tip, and ahi or chicken tacos and chocolate chip cookies and of course there were beverages/alcohol provided for those who wanted to have a buzz.

There's about 50-yds worth of beach head between the chalet and waters edge. I'd say the aerobatic planes were probably 100-yds off shores. And the jets were obviously much farther. I liked the show schedule in that there was very little down time between performers. Since they didn't have to deal with landing and taking off traffic.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Oct 25, 2016 20:19 |  #17

Thanks Julian, I'll keep that in mind for next year.
Btw, your description of the food is making me a bit hungry ;-)a

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Oct 25, 2016 23:30 |  #18

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18166959 (external link)
Thanks Julian, I'll keep that in mind for next year.
Btw, your description of the food is making me a bit hungry ;-)a

I did go back for 2nds... even considered 3rds but didn't want to be weighed down by food. :lol:

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

djr01974
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2014
Yorba Linda
Sep 17, 2017 23:19 |  #19

Who's going this year?

mike_d
Goldmember
4,979 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by mike_d. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 18, 2017 00:14 |  #20

djr01974 wrote in post #18454585 (external link)
Who's going this year?

IN! Hoping for better skies this year. I've upgraded my 100-400 to the v2 and added a 1.4x TC so I'll have to crop less.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by jwcdds.
Sep 18, 2017 09:56 |  #21

djr01974 wrote in post #18454585 (external link)
Who's going this year?

I plan to go on Sunday's show. Hoping for better weather too. (Granted last year Saturday had superb weather, getting drenched on Sunday sucked. :lol: )

Julian

djr01974
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2014
Yorba Linda
Sep 18, 2017 11:28 |  #22

I'm planning on going. First time to any airshow. Where about do you hang out.?

mike_d
Goldmember
4,979 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Sep 18, 2017 12:07 |  #23

djr01974 wrote in post #18454925 (external link)

I went last year and was front row on the sand, about 10' south of the fenced-off VIP area.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Sep 18, 2017 23:03 |  #24

djr01974 wrote in post #18454925 (external link)

I typically buy a ticket for the VIP seating cuz I'm too lazy to bring my own chair and food. And easier access to potty too.

Julian

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Sep 19, 2017 09:59 |  #25

Don't know yet. I'll monitor the weather report and if the sky is clear I'll go.
Although I can't wait too long to decide as I'd like to buy an Aviator club ticket.

For those who attended last year, was parking a problem?

mike_d
Goldmember
4,979 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Sep 19, 2017 10:21 as a reply to Perfectly Frank's post |  #26

I parked in the beach lot south of Newland, about even with the fuel storage tanks for the power plant. I got there about 930. That gave me about a mile walk to show center.

SSNTUFF
Joined Jun 2017
Colorado Springs, Co. USA
Sep 19, 2017 10:27 |  #27

Sounds like it will be a great time. I will be attending our own air show in Colorado with the Thunderbirds and many WWII aircraft. The only thing that I wish could be changed is where people will be set up for viewing. The mountains will be behind us so won't be in the pictures. Looking forward to seeing everyone's pictures!

Land locked submariner, making do with what I have.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Sep 19, 2017 10:49 |  #28

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18455721 (external link)
Don't know yet. I'll monitor the weather report and if the sky is clear I'll go.
Although I can't wait too long to decide as I'd like to buy an Aviator club ticket.

For those who attended last year, was parking a problem?

I get there at the crack of dawn, but yeah, I can see how parking can load up quick.

Julian

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Sep 19, 2017 11:17 |  #29

mike_d wrote in post #18455737 (external link)
I parked in the beach lot south of Newland, about even with the fuel storage tanks for the power plant. I got there about 930. That gave me about a mile walk to show center.

Thanks, I might try that.

I also considered attending both days, and staying at the Hilton or Hyatt over night. Per google maps those hotels are walking distance from
show center. But those are high-end hotels with high-end prices. :-(

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Sep 19, 2017 11:44 |  #30

What I like about this show (and I'm sure that's how it is at non-airport/airbase shows) is that everything is pretty fast paced. Since you're not waiting for plans to take off and land as that's occurring offsite, the show just keeps rolling. :D

Julian

sponsored links

11,450 views & 36 likes for this thread
Huntington Beach Air Show - Who's going?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.