Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 06 Jul 2017 (Thursday) 16:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Orlit RT 610 problems

PhotogNY
587 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Lawn Guyland, Noo Yawk
Sep 16, 2017 11:40 as a reply to post 18453353 |  #31

Oh man, and the Canon version isn't even ready to ship yet. -?

Photographer's Guide to Copyright Law Basics (external link)

sponsored links
deejjjaaaa
122 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Steel City, Rust Belt
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by deejjjaaaa. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 16, 2017 12:54 |  #32

PhotogNY wrote in post #18453583 (external link)
Oh man, and the Canon version isn't even ready to ship yet. -?

typically there are less (or none) issues with C or N versions... this most probably this bug is specific only for Sony version .. Chinese dudes are not yet capable to write firmware code to reproduce Sony flash behavior... but what I see from Jinbei / Adorama Orlit (a sudden, huge drop in exposure between f4.0 and f5.6 - again less exposure for wider aperture) is worse than from Godox / Adorama Flashpoint ( gradual drop wider than f4.0 - the wider you go the less exposure you get... funnny, isn't it) you can see how I was testing starting from http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=18​228167 ) ... but ok everybody makes mistakes - what irritates that they can't (rather simply do not want) fix that for month (Godox/Flashpoint bug was properly reported 9+ month ago)

PS: as a side note - manufacturing (quality of materials / assembly) is certainly worse with Jinbei / Adorama Orlit than with Godox / Adorama Flashpoint for both strobe and transmitter ... except one thing - Bowens mount is done better in Jinbei / Adorama Orlit - they way Godox slaps Bowens mount on their strobes (which clearly designed for their own mount in the first place) is simply shameful and shobby... I 'd not risk to put any heavy light mod on it...

deejjjaaaa
122 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Steel City, Rust Belt
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by deejjjaaaa. 4 edits done in total.
Sep 16, 2017 15:11 |  #33

just to give you an idea how Sony specific TTL implementation done by Jinbei / Adorama Orlit is... f4.0 raw is ~2.5+ stops underexposed vs f5.6 raw and TTL is supposed to keep exposure stable (the scene is static and we do not stress strobe power limits at all, as difference between f5.6 and f8.0 shots is "chinese negligible", f8.0 for example might be even 0.4 EV overexposed - consistency is noticeably poorer vs Godox / Adorama FlashPoint not to mention how Sony own gear works - but it shows that strobe power limits are not reached and then as I noted - more exposure with f5.6 than with f4.0 - that alone shows that strobe power is not to blame)... 2.5+ stops Carl... this is totally f..cked up.

what is the bottom line here ? IMHO

1) do not buy neither Jinbei / Adorama Orlit not Godox / Adorama FlashPoint if you need reliable TTL and you have Sony camera ... the attitude from manufacturers and reseller is simply - go "f...ck your self" towards users.... granted they (Adorama) will accept return and refund - no displute here, but the hassle and misrepresentation vmad they shall stop selling TTL gear (__ TTL transmitters__, strobes are cross brand compatible) from Sony from both Jinbei and Godox or at least put a detailed explanation for users to read what they are buying into... no claims here about C & N specific transmitters - I use only Sony cameras

2) if you decide between Jinbei / Adorama Orlit and Godox / Adorama FlashPoint = go with Godox / Adorama FlashPoint , unless you need a more solid Bowens mount

HelenOster
That's me!
4,290 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Post has been edited 1 month ago by HelenOster.
Sep 17, 2017 02:45 |  #34

deejjjaaaa wrote in post #18453735 (external link)
just to give you an idea how Sony specific TTL implementation done by Jinbei / Adorama Orlit is... f4.0 raw is ~2.5+ stops underexposed vs f5.6 raw and TTL is supposed to keep exposure stable (the scene is static and we do not stress strobe power limits at all, as difference between f5.6 and f8.0 shots is "chinese negligible", f8.0 for example might be even 0.4 EV overexposed - consistency is noticeably poorer vs Godox / Adorama FlashPoint not to mention how Sony own gear works - but it shows that strobe power limits are not reached and then as I noted - more exposure with f5.6 than with f4.0 - that alone shows that strobe power is not to blame)... 2.5+ stops Carl... this is totally f..cked up.

what is the bottom line here ? IMHO

1) do not buy neither Jinbei / Adorama Orlit not Godox / Adorama FlashPoint if you need reliable TTL and you have Sony camera ... the attitude from manufacturers and reseller is simply - go "f...ck your self" towards users.... granted they (Adorama) will accept return and refund - no displute here, but the hassle and misrepresentation vmad they shall stop selling TTL gear (__ TTL transmitters__, strobes are cross brand compatible) from Sony from both Jinbei and Godox or at least put a detailed explanation for users to read what they are buying into... no claims here about C & N specific transmitters - I use only Sony cameras

2) if you decide between Jinbei / Adorama Orlit and Godox / Adorama FlashPoint = go with Godox / Adorama FlashPoint , unless you need a more solid Bowens mount

As I have noted previously, the units DO work, but with limitations. We are taking your reports seriously, and have been putting constant pressure upon Godox to improve the product and deal with the shortcomings. We actually discussed at length stopping selling the transmitter completely, based on the issues raised primarily on this forum as well as on dp, but the Flashpoint Team decided that the benefits of the unit being available, even if just for HSS with the Sony system, is in serious demand with Sony shooters.

While of course we tested the product during development and when we first received your reports, we never reached the level of meticulous systematic focus on that small aperture range that was brought to our attention through your research and dedicated testing.
Thanks to the users of this forum bringing the issue to our attention, the Flashpoint Team added a notification on our product page advising potential customers of the limitations of the unit.
The Adorama sales team has been advised as well, although they deal with tens of thousands of products a day, from thousands of brands, only a small amount of which are Flashpoint, and they cant be considered experts, which is why we have set up the flashpoint product support hotline, by phone or email at brands@Adorama.com

We HAVE been in contact with the Godox engineering team on an updated estimated date when the fix will be available, but I shan't be sharing it at this point in time. I was doing my best to keep you all as informed as possible by passing on the information we received directly to you, but when I previously gave the time scale predicted by Godox, it backfired horribly on us

Those customers who are dissatisfied are welcome to return the units to us for a full refund.

I have copied your comments to the Flashpoint Team.

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOsterexternal link
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/external link

HelenOster
That's me!
4,290 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Sep 17, 2017 02:50 |  #35

deejjjaaaa wrote in post #18453353 (external link)
ORLIT TR-Q6 TTL 2.4Ghz Studio Flash Trigger - Sony has a severe bug in firmware and does not function properly in TTL mode with at least ORLIT RoveLight RT 610 HSS TTL Battery-Powered Monolight

the story with FlashPoint bug (not fixed for 9 month and counting) is going to be repeated, I bet

We have an updated estimated date from the Godox engineering team on when this will be fully resolved but I shan't be sharing it at this point in time. I was doing my best to keep you as informed as possible by passing on the information we received directly to you, but when I previously gave the time scale predicted by Godox, I was attacked.

Helen@adorama.com

deejjjaaaa
122 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Steel City, Rust Belt
Post has been edited 1 month ago by deejjjaaaa.
Sep 17, 2017 09:19 |  #36

HelenOster wrote in post #18454010 (external link)
I was attacked.

nobody has any issues with your personally, Helen... you are a very nice person :love:... you are just caught in a crossfire because you personify Adorama... and Adorama bears the grudge because it tries to rebrand the goods and claims support... seriously, after the epically long story of these specific troubles with the FP/Godox TTL transmitter for Sony did it not happen to Adorama to check how Orlit/Jinbei TTL transmitter for Sony is working ? I specifically purchased the Orlit/Jinbei gear to test for this issue...

deejjjaaaa
122 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Steel City, Rust Belt
Sep 17, 2017 09:28 |  #37

HelenOster wrote in post #18454008 (external link)
I have copied your comments to the Flashpoint Team.

this is primarily about __ORLIT (Jinbei)__ gear , unless they are the same people (most probably)

deejjjaaaa
122 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Steel City, Rust Belt
Sep 17, 2017 09:32 |  #38

HelenOster wrote in post #18454010 (external link)
We have an updated estimated date from the Godox engineering team on when this will be fully resolved

OK, looking forward to have this at least before 2018 ... thank you for the update.

deejjjaaaa
122 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Steel City, Rust Belt
Sep 18, 2017 08:20 |  #39

Adorama still did not post warning to customers about ORLIT TR-Q6 TTL 2.4Ghz Studio Flash Trigger for the Roverlight RT Series - Sony ... let us start counting how many days it will take to disclose the issues to prospective buyers ...

HelenOster
That's me!
4,290 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Sep 18, 2017 13:04 |  #40

deejjjaaaa wrote in post #18454792 (external link)
Adorama still did not post warning to customers about ORLIT TR-Q6 TTL 2.4Ghz Studio Flash Trigger for the Roverlight RT Series - Sony ... let us start counting how many days it will take to disclose the issues to prospective buyers ...

THIS:

http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=18​453346

BTW your Orlit transmitter ( ORLIT TR-Q6 TTL 2.4Ghz Studio Flash Trigger - Sony ) for Sony has even worse bug in TTL than FlashPoint - are you putting a note to customers about this yourself or shall I repeat the public postings about this everywhere ? let me know ... $80 piece of junk with the current firmware for TTL .... case in point - try to take shots @ f4.0 and @ f5.6 in TTL mode and compare exposure... as of Sep 16 2017 - there is no warning for unsuspecting customers on Adorama website that ORLIT TR-Q6 TTL 2.4Ghz Studio Flash Trigger - Sony does not function properly in TTL mode (w/ at least ORLIT RoveLight RT 610 HSS TTL Battery-Powered Monolight)

Was sent to the manufacturer yesterday.

We are awaiting their response. We will not be posting anything until we hear back from the manufacturer.

Helen@adorama.com

deejjjaaaa
122 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Steel City, Rust Belt
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by deejjjaaaa. 6 edits done in total.
Sep 18, 2017 21:17 |  #41

and now data including raw files to support the claim about a severe firmware bug in TTL implementation in Adorama ORLIT TR-Q6 TTL 2.4Ghz Studio Flash Trigger - Sony (rebranded Jinbei)

here is the graph illustrating what we are being sold as "TTL" and here are the raw files (data extracted using rawdigger, from the center 400x400 and G1 DNs) :

IMAGE: https://s26.postimg.org/mgb9xqmeh/Orlit-_Jinbei-_Sony_TTL-suxx.jpg

and raw files = https://www.amazon.com ...0oKzGIGTcpZIocspsiO​n82Q7k (external link)

enjoy, as you can see taking exposure @ f1.8 as a base line we have a wild, wild swing ranging from ~-1.5 EV below to ~+2.4 EV above the said baseline ... also you see that upper power strobe limit was not challenged till at least f9.0 :-) and lower power strobe limit was not challenged @ f1.8 ... exposure time was @ 1/200, scene was totally static, no ambient light present, manual focus and locked

so how daring is for this to be sold as TTL to Sony users ?

PS: I probably correct my prev. statement about jump between f4.0 and f5.6 -> it is rather a jump between f3.5 and f4.5...f5.0, albeit with the Orlit / Jinbei firmware quality one can indeed encounter this huge jump on a different scene (a reminder - scene remained totally static during shooting for all 17 exposures)

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Post has been edited 1 month ago by KatManDEW.
Sep 22, 2017 08:35 |  #42

Wow, the price on these dropped quite a bit. I hope that's not a bad sign...

I'm on my third RT 610. I tried it this week with V3 firmware and the Canon 5D Mark IV with Canon ST-E3-RT transmitter. Everything worked pretty well, including TTL and Group mode. Only problem was that communication was still frequently lost with the ST-E3-RT, requiring powering everything off and then back on. One note on that is that I needed to start the camera/ST-E3-RT and the RT 610 first, before starting and speedlights, because the RT610 wont connect to the to the ST-E3-RT if any speedlights are already powered on.

Yesterday I received the TR-Q6 RT. Preliminary tests were encouraging. It works with both Canon and Yongnuo speedlights, and there were not lost communication problems.

I'm doing a shoot with the system tomorrow. Wish me luck :-)

deejjjaaaa
122 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Steel City, Rust Belt
Post has been edited 1 month ago by deejjjaaaa.
Sep 22, 2017 10:37 |  #43

and Adorama still continue to sell Orlit transmitter ___for Sony__ w/o any warning to unsuspected customers that TTL is not working properly...

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Sep 22, 2017 12:08 |  #44

Forgot to mention, I have been unable to find the Orlit app on the Google Play store. Not sure how useful it will be, but I can't find it.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,290 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Sep 23, 2017 15:16 |  #45

THIS:
http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=18​453346

"BTW your Orlit transmitter ( ORLIT TR-Q6 TTL 2.4Ghz Studio Flash Trigger - Sony ) for Sony has even worse bug in TTL than FlashPoint - are you putting a note to customers about this yourself or shall I repeat the public postings about this everywhere ? let me know ... $80 piece of junk with the current firmware for TTL .... case in point - try to take shots @ f4.0 and @ f5.6 in TTL mode and compare exposure... as of Sep 16 2017 - there is no warning for unsuspecting customers on Adorama website that ORLIT TR-Q6 TTL 2.4Ghz Studio Flash Trigger - Sony does not function properly in TTL mode (w/ at least ORLIT RoveLight RT 610 HSS TTL Battery-Powered Monolight)"

Was sent to the manufacturer on September 17th. We are awaiting their response. We will not be posting anything until we hear back from the manufacturer.

Helen@adorama.com

sponsored links

15,560 views & 9 likes for this thread
Orlit RT 610 problems
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.