Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 17 Sep 2017 (Sunday) 15:24
Prev/next
Poll"Regarding battery grips, which best describes your style?"
Use battery grip
55.8%
Do not use a battery grip
25.6%
Use a battery grip sometimes
18.6%

43 voters, 43 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Battery Grip vs. Body Only / Your Choice & Style w/ Poll

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been edited 1 month ago by mdvaden.
Sep 17, 2017 15:24 |  #1

I'm interested to learn what other photographers prefer regarding using battery grips or not. I touched on this months ago. I use grips now but may sway based on other's preferences. My gear grew and paid work increasing, so I'm pondering options to shed weight. Canon DSLR and lenses served me so well, mirrorless doesn't appeal yet. Part of the matter is space gain too. The poll is particularly of interest if enough photographers complete it, but written reasons will be appreciated too.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 1 month ago by MalVeauX.
Sep 17, 2017 15:34 |  #2

There's pretty much 1,000 threads that will mirror this thread. And I think you'll see a spread of both for and against, with various reasons. Some people sway one way or the other over time too. It's all very personal and specific to what they're doing.

I used to love grips for the extra battery time and extra space and the easy of shooting in vertical orientation with the placement of the grip's extra buttons.

But, I also grew to dislike the added bulk, weight, etc. So went back to bare camera with no grip.

Then I went back to grip on my larger camera(s) again for easy of the buttons in vertical orientation and battery life.

Now I'm split on both. My tanks all have grips and there's no option not to have it (1D series). My smaller cameras have no grips anymore, and I'm leaving them off to keep them lighter, smaller, and fitting into smaller bags. I'm tired of taking out massive loads of gear, big bags, heavy this and that and going for a smaller volume and smaller weight where I can and just throwing a few extra batteries in there. I can change a battery in a hot second no problem. So lose a grip, gain room for another speedlite. Things like that.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been edited 1 month ago by mdvaden.
Sep 17, 2017 18:19 |  #3

MalVeauX wrote in post #18454359 (external link)
SNIP ... But, I also grew to dislike the added bulk, weight, etc. So went back to bare camera with no grip.

Then I went back to grip on my larger camera(s) again for easy of the buttons in vertical orientation and battery life ... SNIP

Some of what you wrote sounds familiar to my end. Right now, I'm finding the decision harder to make than expected. I would like to pick one choice or the other and just stick with it. The double batteries are nice. But the grip with the plates mounted for tripods pushes the cameras to the brink in a backpack and I settled on leaving the plates attached. I've learned to use the extra grip to hold, but don't use the buttons on the grip. I think I could even reconfigure my bag. It's a strange contrast. One kind of convenience vs. a bulk that started to annoy me more than expected the past year.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Dan Marchant.
Sep 17, 2017 21:48 |  #4

No grip.
1. When I use my canon gear I almost always have a bag on wheels full of kit. I would rather the spare batteries stayed in the bag until needed than carry them around in a grip all day.
2. If I don't have my full kit/wheels I would much rather just have a spare battery in my small bag/pocket than the extra bulk of a grip.
3. I never shoot portrait orientation so the extra buttons aren't helpful.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

BG03
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Sep 18, 2017 14:27 |  #5

No grip and I guess it al depends on what you are comfortable with

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Sep 18, 2017 17:05 |  #6

I have grips on my bodies but will likely be removing them. They fit my hands well but I'm beginning to object to the extra weight.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Tom Reichner.
Sep 18, 2017 17:35 |  #7

I currently use a Canon 1D Mark 4, with the grip "built in", which is what I prefer.

When I used bodies like the 5D classic and the 50D, I used them with a battery grip. . Why? . Primarily because I wanted the cameras to be bigger, and the grip would add some size to the overall setup, so that it would feel comfortable in my hands.

By the way, I do not have large hands at all - just regular average sized hands and fingers. . I just hate how awkward and uncomfortable it is to use small, light cameras. . This is one of the primary factors that has kept me from getting one of the newer mirrorless cameras - they are simply too small for comfortable use.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Ah-keong
Joined Apr 2016
Sep 19, 2017 01:21 |  #8

For events / streets, I would use it with battery grip.

For travel, I would use body only.

For all the advantages that battery grip have, I find many grips (7D2, 5D4, etc) doesn't mirror the buttons well onto the grip resulting in different feel when using in the vertical orientation.

Hope future grips would design with this in mind.

:p

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART |
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |
Tenba DNA 15 Messenger | Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 40v2.0 | Speed Changer v2.0

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
uk
Sep 19, 2017 02:47 |  #9

After using a 1 series for ten years, i can't use a camera without a grip now.

tdlavigne
295 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Sep 19, 2017 02:54 |  #10

I only use a grip when I know I'm shooting mostly (or all) portrait orientation. Example would be an all day beauty shoot or ecommerce.

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,092 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Sep 19, 2017 05:56 |  #11

I use a grip when I use a 1D but when I'm not using a 1D I'm not using a grip. The Grip just doesn't feel right after you man handle a 1D beauty.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Sep 19, 2017 07:03 |  #12

I have a grip on both my 80D and my 7D Mark II, I prefer the added weight for stability when shooting with larger lenses like the Sigma 150-600 C or Sigma 50-100 f1.8. I also like the added battery life and the ability to swap batteries without having to take the tripod plate off. The bit of added bulk doesn't prevent it from fitting in my small daily-carry bag so I see no benefit to be gained by removing the grip in my situation.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,092 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Sep 19, 2017 08:38 |  #13

those are large lenses? sweet... my 120-300 or 200L are mammoths :)

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Sep 19, 2017 09:10 |  #14

TreeburnerCT wrote in post #18455596 (external link)
I have a grip on both my 80D and my 7D Mark II, I prefer the added weight for stability when shooting with larger lenses like the Sigma 150-600 C or Sigma 50-100 f1.8.

Talley wrote in post #18455665 (external link)
those are large lenses? sweet... my 120-300 or 200L are mammoths :)

Balancing the weight of large lenses is a good point that you both bring up.

I have two very heavy lenses - the first gen 400 f2.8 IS and the Sigma 300-800mm. . They're each around 12 pounds, and mounting a camera without a grip to either of them creates a balance problem when using my gimbal head.......especially the Sigmonster, because the weight (center of gravity) in that lens is so far forward.

My new Canon 100-400mm is quite small and light, relatively speaking, and I have no trouble balancing that on a small body without a grip.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,498 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Sep 19, 2017 09:31 |  #15

I've been using a grip since the early 70s. I have short fingers but very wide palms. My hand cramps within minutes without something larger than the body itself to wrap my mitt around.

sponsored links

4,052 views & 11 likes for this thread
Battery Grip vs. Body Only / Your Choice & Style w/ Poll
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.