Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 19 Mar 2016 (Saturday) 17:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Godox X1 system integration thread

elv
Goldmember
1,441 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Sep 19, 2017 11:04 |  #1231

RDKirk wrote in post #18455678 (external link)
That would mean, though, that other TTL flashes are being overridden in some way--or their TTL information is ignored--by the setting for the master flash.

I don't think its ignored, just that a small amount of compensation is added.

Unfortunately I don't know how the conversion from TTL to a Manual power level is done to start with, so I'm not sure why using different flashes causes an issue then either.

Its not completely out though. I mean there's a number of stops in power difference between a V860II and AD600 for example, so if it made the power level equal for both for example then the result would be a long way out, not just a little bit.

Anyway you guys can experiment with it and might be able to make more sense out of it. Maybe it could be further refined by the time they ship as well. Just letting you know what I can see so far.

If it hadn't have been working well from the start using the same flashes then I would have been concerned. Knowing the custom function was there for when mixing strobes I pretty much figured there was going to be more involved in that area.

FLASHHAVOC.COMexternal link

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,919 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 19, 2017 11:42 |  #1232

We shouldn't have to try to figure it all out as a group effort, it should be fairly intuitive, or at least supplied clear directions that allow a majority of people to figure it out quickly and independently. In order for this particular model line to become more mainstream and mature, that is going to have to be a priority long-term. :)

Even AMASS had a several month long beta group testing effort before it went live, even that is very helpful for a product launch. It wasn't just the dev team and a few users.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

dpe
142 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Wareham
Sep 19, 2017 11:48 |  #1233

could you do one group in TTL, convert to manual, then do a second group TTL, convert to manual and then follow on

Mike

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,494 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Sep 19, 2017 11:57 |  #1234

elv wrote in post #18455779 (external link)
I don't think its ignored, just that a small amount of compensation is added.

Unfortunately I don't know how the conversion from TTL to a Manual power level is done to start with, so I'm not sure why using different flashes causes an issue then either.

Its not completely out though. I mean there's a number of stops in power difference between a V860II and AD600 for example, so if it made the power level equal for both for example then the result would be a long way out, not just a little bit.

Anyway you guys can experiment with it and might be able to make more sense out of it. Maybe it could be further refined by the time they ship as well. Just letting you know what I can see so far.

If it hadn't have been working well from the start using the same flashes then I would have been concerned. Knowing the custom function was there for when mixing strobes I pretty much figured there was going to be more involved in that area.

But how can it work?

The camera reads a pre-flash and feeds power information to (it thinks) a single flash. The flash sets a single power level and provides that in the main flash.

elv
Goldmember
1,441 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Post has been edited 1 month ago by elv.
Sep 19, 2017 23:59 |  #1235

RDKirk wrote in post #18455812 (external link)
But how can it work?

The camera reads a pre-flash and feeds power information to (it thinks) a single flash. The flash sets a single power level and provides that in the main flash.

No, the TTL exposure works as normal, you can mix different power TTL flashes in separate groups no problem. I'm not sure if I've tried mixing them in the same group.

Again the initial TTL exposure is not the issue, that's working fine, its just the conversion you do later to the manual power levels.

Another person has recently posted on my blog comments that TCM is working well for them mixing numerous different flashes, so it may be a non issue anyway with current firmware.

elv
Goldmember
1,441 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Sep 20, 2017 00:03 |  #1236

dpe wrote in post #18455805 (external link)
could you do one group in TTL, convert to manual, then do a second group TTL, convert to manual and then follow on

Mike

That's a good point, thanks. My first thought was it would be a hassle to turn the other groups off each time to start with, but thinking about it you shouldn't even need to as manual groups don't effect the TTL pre-flash metering. I'll give that a go later.

As mentioned above though another person has said this is working well for them, so this may all be a non-issue anyway.

level5photog
148 posts
Joined Nov 2015
Sep 20, 2017 14:45 |  #1237

First Godox Xpro review.
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=-1TE8L1iv30 (external link)

It's in Chinese with English sub.

owenegan
THREAD ­ STARTER
238 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Sep 21, 2017 01:00 |  #1238

Godox added CFn 08 to the X1T-C transmitter a while ago.

When set ON, fCFn 08 apparently forces the sending of flash exposure settings to the remote flashes before each exposure. With CFn 08 set OFF, as I understand it, the transmitter only sends this info when the settings are changed, or when the TEST button is half-pressed.

On the new XPro transmitter, from what I have read and watched, this same option is slected in the "SHOOT" section of its CFn menu, by selecting the icon with three people. (The icon represents, I think, the multiple shooters using the same set of flashes, ergo requiring the pre-exposure setting of flash power for each shot of each shooter.

Question: why would an option to have exposure settings transmitted with every exposure NOT be the default? In what scenario would you NOT want this behaviour? The only thing I can think of is reduced battery life, but that seems unlikely. (My X1T-Cs seem to go forever on a set of AAs)

Any ideas?

Owen.

Lotto
Goldmember
2,520 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Southern California
Post has been edited 29 days ago by Lotto.
Sep 21, 2017 02:13 |  #1239

I am on X1 v.22, with CF08 set to OFF, the X1 would not change the slave setting (made by an another master) by making changes on the controller (or firing of the shutter),only the TEST button can activate the switching. So I guess it's kind like a 'early warning' not to mess with other shooter's setting by taking shots without switching first.

If I am the owner of lights, set CF08 to ON all the time :)

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Sep 22, 2017 16:42 |  #1240

Has Flashpoint made a custom version in the past of Godox stuff? How long after release does their flavor usually take?

1DIII through 1DXII(2) | 5D2-4 | 5DS | 8-800mm
XT2 | 16-140mm

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,494 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Post has been edited 28 days ago by RDKirk.
Sep 22, 2017 17:35 |  #1241

Lotto wrote in post #18456942 (external link)
I am on X1 v.22, with CF08 set to OFF, the X1 would not change the slave setting (made by an another master) by making changes on the controller (or firing of the shutter),only the TEST button can activate the switching. So I guess it's kind like a 'early warning' not to mess with other shooter's setting by taking shots without switching first.

If I am the owner of lights, set CF08 to ON all the time :)

That's why it's relatively quick and easy to change the channel, and why there are so many channels.

I don't have my equipment on channel 1 any more than I leave my user name at Admin.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,623 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Sep 25, 2017 09:36 |  #1242

I did a shoot on Friday using the AD200 in a godox folding octabox (can;t recall the model number) hand held by an assistant.

Used the X1t, and all was good except for one problem. Despite having used it many times before without this issue, I ran into the "hot-shoe lock" problem, where 3/4 of the way through the shoot we discovered it was firing intermittently.

Suddenly I understand why some people keep the beep on!

removing and reinstalling fixed it. Oh dear Godox, please adopt a lock more similar to the 580EXII :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

owenegan
THREAD ­ STARTER
238 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Sep 25, 2017 12:15 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #1243

I ran into the "hot-shoe lock" problem, where 3/4 of the way through the shoot we discovered it was firing intermittently. Suddenly I understand why some people keep the beep on! removing and reinstalling fixed it. Oh dear Godox, please adopt a lock more similar to the 580EXII

Agreed. I often use a V860IIC in hotshoe, and always have slight anxiety about whether it's on tightly enough, or if it might be on *so* tightly that I'd have trouble getting it off in a hurry if needed.

Maybe Profoto's new speedlight will help Godox realize that there IS a market for a well-designed robust master speedlight in their system, complete with a quick-locking shoe.

Owen.

owenegan
THREAD ­ STARTER
238 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Sep 25, 2017 12:38 |  #1244

elv wrote in post #18456285 (external link)
As mentioned above though another person has said this is working well for them, so this may all be a non-issue anyway.

Has anyone done any new testing with the XPro and different models of flash used together?

I saw the one post on Flashhavoc from the person who said it all just worked great, but would love to hear more from anyone who is testing this thing - with the understanding, of course, that firmwares may not be finalized etc.

I'm particularly interested in whether Godox is showing more signs of listening to feedback from users testing this stuff in "real-world" scenarios. I think Elv mentioned that after doing TCM, the process needed to get back to TTL seemed clunky. This is the kind of thing that I really hope they can get right.

For instance, when shooting events I often use the V860IIC as on-camera master and for fill, with main lighting coming from an off-axis AD200 held on a stick by an assistant. So, most of the time I'm in GR mode. But, when things change suddenly and I need to, e.g., get into straight TTL, then right back to GR mode in a hurry - the button-pressing dance required is a bit daunting.

I really hope the XPro design will exhibit signs of having been tested by actual users and refined by their feedback.

Owen.

mmmfotografie
Goldmember
2,035 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Post has been edited 25 days ago by mmmfotografie.
Sep 25, 2017 13:43 |  #1245

owenegan wrote in post #18460144 (external link)
I really hope the XPro design will exhibit signs of having been tested by actual users and refined by their feedback.

We are talking about Godox and they are quite bad listeners. A few person had a pre production model to test. Firmware can solve a lot these days.

Luckily that can be updated by the user.

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

sponsored links

196,756 views & 325 likes for this thread
Godox X1 system integration thread
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.