Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 26 Jul 2017 (Wednesday) 17:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

6D Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss and post Photos!

repete7
Joined Nov 2010
Sep 15, 2017 06:39 |  #226

digital paradise wrote in post #18452711 (external link)
Some very nice shots everyone. I have a 5D4 and a 7D2. I am thinking about selling my 7D2 and having 2 FF bodies. Not sure which way to go. I'm toying with the 5DSR but a tad costly. Not sure I need 50 megapixels. Thought about maybe a 6D but at 26 megapixels the 6D2 looks interesting. It would be for landscape and architecture so I don't need the crop-ability like my 5D4 which I mostly use for wildlife now. I see some pretty nice detail in architecture shots and the sensor looks pretty silky. My 24-70 II would fit nicely on it.

I read on other forums that the sensor is a bit disappointing compared to the 6D. Not that it is bad, just not not a big leap which is pretty much said about every new camera release. Some beefs about the AF point spread but looked at the manual and it looked good to me. Just opinions, I haven't read any reviews yet and I know nothing of the 6D. I have owned all the 5D's.

Any input would help since there is some real world experience out there now. I'll try to read through the thread.

Thanks in advance.

As a 6D2 owner, I like the camera. I'm coming from a 70D, so the noise and IQ is much improved, but the camera isn't that different in size. The tilty flippy screen with DPAF is the bomb. My complaint is the AF point spread, again coming from a crop sensor, I wish it was better. I have rented a 6D and debated getting a used one, but decided to get the mark ii for the flippy screen.

As far as reviews and opinions in this thread go, the mark ii did not live up to people's expectations based on the rumors and Canon priced the camera aggressively. Reviews have gone from pointing out the camera's short comings to personal attacks. Reading through this thread may not be a good use of your time. You'll learn more if you can get your hands on the camera, or rent one for a weekend and try it out.

Karen Flickr (external link)
Canon 6D2|Canon Eos-m|Canon ef-m 22|Samyang 14mm f/2.8|Canon 40 stm|Canon 50 f/1.8 stm|Canon FD 50mm macro|Canon Macro 100L|Canon 16-35 f/4L IS USM |Canon 24-105L IS USM II|Canon 70-300 IS II USM|Canon 100-400L|

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,237 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Sep 15, 2017 06:50 |  #227

repete7 wrote in post #18452820 (external link)
As a 6D2 owner, I like the camera. I'm coming from a 70D, so the noise and IQ is much improved, but the camera isn't that different in size. The tilty flippy screen with DPAF is the bomb. My complaint is the AF point spread, again coming from a crop sensor, I wish it was better. I have rented a 6D and debated getting a used one, but decided to get the mark ii for the flippy screen.

As far as reviews and opinions in this thread go, the mark ii did not live up to people's expectations based on the rumors and Canon priced the camera aggressively. Reviews have gone from pointing out the camera's short comings to personal attacks. Reading through this thread may not be a good use of your time. You'll learn more if you can get your hands on the camera, or rent one for a weekend and try it out.

I read a few reviews and the aggressive pricing was mentioned. Good idea. Thanks.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Jotto123
80 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Sep 16, 2017 06:48 |  #228

Hopefully we see a decent price drop before Christmas. I can't see myself paying 2000 for this camera.

6d - 135L - 85mm 1.8 - 50mm 1.8 - 24mm 2.8

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,237 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Sep 16, 2017 07:29 |  #229

Jotto123 wrote in post #18453438 (external link)
Hopefully we see a decent price drop before Christmas. I can't see myself paying 2000 for this camera.

$2,700 CND after taxes.

Image Editing OK

lijoec
Joined Jan 2009
Long Island
Sep 16, 2017 11:52 |  #230

here is a link that might help to the DR dilemma. I found this to help me a lot! If this was mentioned I apologize.

https://www.digicamdb.​com ...-mark-ii-vs-canon_eos-6d/ (external link)

It looks as to though Canon wanted more pixel density in the Mark II and sacrificed some DR.

Cheers,
Joe

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,237 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Sep 16, 2017 12:23 |  #231

lijoec wrote in post #18453591 (external link)
here is a link that might help to the DR dilemma. I found this to help me a lot! If this was mentioned I apologize.

It looks as to though Canon wanted more pixel density in the Mark II and sacrificed some DR.

Image Editing OK

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,234 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Sep 16, 2017 12:32 |  #232

lijoec wrote in post #18453591 (external link)

Really? Then why didn't the 5D4 suffer more? I think Canon got really stingy/frugal, and used a discarded pre-5D4 sensor design that was outdated. In using this dated sensor design out of fear of losing 5D4 sales to the 6D2, they may have lost a lot of company loyalty and respect as people think more about other brands.

lijoec
Joined Jan 2009
Long Island
Sep 16, 2017 12:52 |  #233

John Sheehy wrote in post #18453613 (external link)
Really? Then why didn't the 5D4 suffer more? I think Canon got really stingy/frugal, and used a discarded pre-5D4 sensor design that was outdated. In using this dated sensor design out of fear of losing 5D4 sales to the 6D2, they may have lost a lot of company loyalty and respect as people think more about other brands.

I would assume it has to do with better hardware and software in the camera not the sensor . viewing sensor to sensor itself , it look as though the 6D2 should be better. perhaps that's why the 5D4 cost more!!! and the 1D X even more then that.

https://www.digicamdb.​com ...-vs-canon_eos-5d-mark-iv/ (external link)

Cheers,
Joe

DaveKosiba
Joined Jan 2011
Atlanta
Sep 16, 2017 19:58 |  #234

Regional NICA Mountain Bike Race

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4351/37127790501_94f4f52518_c.jpg

EOS 6D MkII, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 85 1.8, 70-200L f/4 IS, 16-35 f/4L IS, 430 EXII, Luma Cinch Strap

kayl
Joined Apr 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Sep 18, 2017 00:38 |  #235

Jotto123 wrote in post #18453438 (external link)

Same boat here. I decided to wait until it hits $1500ish. I'll make do with my 50d and SL1 until then, as much as I don't want to! :)

My Gearand Feedback
My 365 Project (Est. 5/1/10)external link

elitejp
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Sep 18, 2017 00:49 |  #236

Im already seeing it sell for 1600usd in hong kong

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

russbecker
Joined Jun 2007
Eastern PA, USA
Sep 18, 2017 06:53 |  #237

This is the problem: feature set vs price point. At $1499 or even $1599 the 6D2 would sell well. $2000 is a different threshold; you can pick up a refurb 5D4 from Canon (one year warranty just like new) for $2800. So why bother with a 6D2 if you are going the FF route?

Going to rent a Sony A7r2 and Metabones adapter next month, see how it does with my existing Canon glass. I need to get out of a rut anyway.

6D2 is a fine camera, but not at this price point.

7D2 | 7D | 40D | 300 f/4 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IIL | 70-200 f/4L | 135 f/2 L | 85 f/1.8 | 100 f/2 | 60 f/2.8 macro | nifty-fifty | 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Tamron 150-600 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 | Sigma 120-400

Nethawked
Joined Oct 2014
Virginia, USA
Sep 19, 2017 12:39 |  #238

So. There's the guy who thinks ISO doesn't matter. There's someone else more prone to attacking photographer abilities than the tools used, and a lot of fanboys who think automatically II is better than the original. Perhaps justified. However, every professional review I've read contradicts this camera's ability in low light when compared with the original 6D.

I am a concert photographer. I don't pull out a spot meter and expect the world to be nice to me. I can shoot from ISO 200 to 12,800 on the same stage, same act. Low light performance, and the ability to clean noise at high ISO is important. I've owned 6D, 5DIII and 5DIV (the latter two I use today). The 6D was the best of the three in this regard, and from everything I've read (not spewed by fanboys) the 6DII is crippled. Is there anyone out there with experience and the opportunity to compare?

Thanks.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,234 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Sep 19, 2017 13:39 |  #239

Nethawked wrote in post #18455844 (external link)
So. There's the guy who thinks ISO doesn't matter. There's someone else more prone to attacking photographer abilities than the tools used, and a lot of fanboys who think automatically II is better than the original. Perhaps justified. However, every professional review I've read contradicts this camera's ability in low light when compared with the original 6D.

I am a concert photographer. I don't pull out a spot meter and expect the world to be nice to me. I can shoot from ISO 200 to 12,800 on the same stage, same act. Low light performance, and the ability to clean noise at high ISO is important. I've owned 6D, 5DIII and 5DIV (the latter two I use today). The 6D was the best of the three in this regard, and from everything I've read (not spewed by fanboys) the 6DII is crippled. Is there anyone out there with experience and the opportunity to compare?

I only have experience with the 5D2 and the 6D, but DxO just put out their measurements, which I have looked over, and the 6D2 trails behind the 6D by about 1/4 stop in read noise over the ISO range, but the 6D2's strength is that it collects more light with the same exposure, despite having steeper color filters like some of the older cameras. So, the 6D2 seems to be better in photon-noise dominated tones and exposures, and can distinguish colors with less chromatic noise at low and medium ISOs, but has more overall read noise.

Nethawked
Joined Oct 2014
Virginia, USA
Sep 19, 2017 13:57 |  #240

John Sheehy wrote in post #18455887 (external link)
I only have experience with the 5D2 and the 6D, but DxO just put out their measurements, which I have looked over, and the 6D2 trails behind the 6D by about 1/4 stop in read noise over the ISO range, but the 6D2's strength is that it collects more light with the same exposure, despite having steeper color filters like some of the older cameras. So, the 6D2 seems to be better in photon-noise dominated tones and exposures, and can distinguish colors with less chromatic noise at low and medium ISOs, but has more overall read noise.

Thanks John, yes I've come to the same conclusion. The magenta cast would indicate the same. In some circumstances with the 5DIII/IV and original 6D I can increase shadow detail and reduce noise to produce presentable images. If I can't do either with the 6DII it isn't worth the risk. Bummer, I could have used that articulating screen. Cheers.

sponsored links

155,535 views & 447 likes for this thread
6D Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss and post Photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.