Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 15 Sep 2017 (Friday) 11:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Rangefinder digitals, options?

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,140 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Sep 19, 2017 14:15 |  #91

All cameras are junk... none of them have the ability to take their own photo and point in their own direction or align themselves up with subjects... ya... we have "automated" cameras these days.

All cameras are worthless... without the person behind the viewfinder directing it. I've seen some of the worst photos from some of the best equipment and some of the best photos from the worst equipment. They are all just tools...

Did I mention lighting is junk too because TTL automates things... completely worthless and so is light meters... they help automate your exposure what a waste. You want to know the major flaw in digital is??? It automates the development of the image your non automated camera took... Your suppose to not have an LCD at all because otherwise you "chimp too much"

stupid shutters.... how dare they move on their own... your suppose to use plates to block the light all on your own.

stupid automated technology... i never wanted the garage door to open on it's own in the rain I wanted to get out myself and lift it myself.

:p

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Sep 19, 2017 14:34 |  #92

Which is great till it breaks or you have a power cut, have you considered a leica garage door, fully manual, total control, nothing to break, opens as much as you want etc ;)

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Sep 19, 2017 15:02 |  #93

Talley wrote in post #18455923 (external link)
All cameras are junk... none of them have the ability to take their own photo and point in their own direction or align themselves up with subjects... ya... we have "automated" cameras these days.

All cameras are worthless... without the person behind the viewfinder directing it. I've seen some of the worst photos from some of the best equipment and some of the best photos from the worst equipment. They are all just tools...

Did I mention lighting is junk too because TTL automates things... completely worthless and so is light meters... they help automate your exposure what a waste. You want to know the major flaw in digital is??? It automates the development of the image your non automated camera took... Your suppose to not have an LCD at all because otherwise you "chimp too much"

stupid shutters.... how dare they move on their own... your suppose to use plates to block the light all on your own.

stupid automated technology... i never wanted the garage door to open on it's own in the rain I wanted to get out myself and lift it myself.

:p

This is pretty silly and about what i would think a DSLR lover would write. They are all just tools and finding the tools for how one sees and works is what equipment is all about. I prefer to do a lot of the things many want their cameras to do for them because I can do it a lot better for the way I want my work to look. I've been doing it for over 4 decades so it is just a lot easier for me. All of these cameras can capture what we see. The important part is we have to see and to have equipment that works best for each individual in capturing that vision is what this should be about. No matter what that is.

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Sep 19, 2017 15:04 |  #94

I'm guessing you drive a Land Rover Defender, if not, you should :)

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Sep 19, 2017 15:06 |  #95

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18455966 (external link)
I'm guessing you drive a Land Rover Defender, if not, you should :)

Honda fit. My money is in things that make me money like my cameras.

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Sep 19, 2017 15:09 |  #96

God you're my hero, everything I do is a money pit!!!

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Sep 19, 2017 15:13 |  #97

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18455968 (external link)
God you're my hero, everything I do is a money pit!!!

LoL my divorce almost 20 years ago was a forced downsize in space so condo living can be expensive but not like having an old home.

I am lucky in the fact that my work pays for it all so I buy the equipment i need and the equipment that best works for the way I see and work.

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Sep 19, 2017 15:13 as a reply to welshwizard1971's post |  #98

Only you'd have to take the time to unscrew and remove the door every time you wanted to take your car out.

I often shoot fully manual, by that I mean no AF, when using my Fuji X-PRO2. All the dials are in the right place, super easy to change things as needed, and the rear screen is off so the temptation to chimp is gone. Nice to have choices like that. There are also times when AE and AF works out well. And having the option to turn the EVF on and practically see in the dark is a big thing, more so when you are in fully M mode or when shooting with flash. For the money on a Leica I'd rather just go shoot medium format and make use of that much bigger sensor. I do like the rangefinder focusing and the simplicity of the old days, it is a peaceful place to operate if you can and if that is your all in life then perhaps Leica is for you. If it's not but from time to time it might be nice then the Fuji is a good half way point.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by airfrogusmc. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 19, 2017 15:24 |  #99

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18455971 (external link)
Only you'd have to take the time to unscrew and remove the door every time you wanted to take your car out.

I often shoot fully manual, by that I mean no AF, when using my Fuji X-PRO2. All the dials are in the right place, super easy to change things as needed, and the rear screen is off so the temptation to chimp is gone. Nice to have choices like that. There are also times when AE and AF works out well. And having the option to turn the EVF on and practically see in the dark is a big thing, more so when you are in fully M mode or when shooting with flash. For the money on a Leica I'd rather just go shoot medium format and make use of that much bigger sensor. I do like the rangefinder focusing and the simplicity of the old days, it is a peaceful place to operate if you can and if that is your all in life then perhaps Leica is for you. If it's not but from time to time it might be nice then the Fuji is a good half way point.

I shot 500 C/Ms for a couple of decades. Love medium format but for where i am now in my career and the type of work I do both professionally and personally Leica M is the tool for me. Fuji's are great cameras and I have friends and folks on forums that always try to tell me the error of my ways. I had a friend let me barrow one of his fuji for a while. There are not to many cameras and formats both film and digital both personally and professionally that I have not shot with and i prefer the tools I now have. Not saying it's right for anyone else. And as you can see the comments like you must drive a_______ or you must be a dentist or you must not have tried_____ come out any time one mentions Leica M. And funny many of the ones that go down those roads have never shot with one or had one even in their hands. Again rangefinders and Leica M digital are clearly not for everyone. But that doesn't mean it isn't right for some. Even those that do this for a living and some do not live in insanely expensive neighborhoods or drive expensive cars. Like me some have priorities that are important to them. My equipment and having equipment that fits the way I see and work has always been important to me.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,809 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Sep 19, 2017 15:29 |  #100

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18455971 (external link)

that's interesting that you turn off the rear screen to prevent temptation.

I'm not one to chimp either, it's too distracting, cant you just turn off auto review?

the rear screen is my PRIMARY method of shooting, I find it easier to get on level with different people, low/high perspectives. I do use the viewfinder from time to time, but it's not often. The process of putting the camera up to the viewfinder is only beneficial in a few scenarios, like when the lens is too heavy/extra stabilization/bright sunny day/super long focal lengths. I just dont like chimping, trust in my instincts.

Sony A7rii x2 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Sep 19, 2017 15:50 |  #101

Charlie wrote in post #18455981 (external link)
that's interesting that you turn off the rear screen to prevent temptation.

I'm not one to chimp either, it's too distracting, cant you just turn off auto review?

the rear screen is my PRIMARY method of shooting, I find it easier to get on level with different people, low/high perspectives. I do use the viewfinder from time to time, but it's not often. The process of putting the camera up to the viewfinder is only beneficial in a few scenarios, like when the lens is too heavy/extra stabilization/bright sunny day/super long focal lengths. I just dont like chimping, trust in my instincts.

heres a prime example of different ways of working. Leica M would not be the tool for working like this. I can't work like that. Doesn't mean it is wrong for Charlie and seem like he has the stuff that works for him. That way of working is so far from the way I see and work. So Leica M works for me it would probably not be the choice for Charlie. And thats OK because we have choices.

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Sep 19, 2017 16:47 as a reply to Charlie's post |  #102

I have auto review turned off by default, but when I'm in the mood for shooting more simply it's viewfinder only. When I'm working it's usually all on, as it's just easier and I'm use to working that way. The other way is more for me on my own time.

Pulling the polaroid out of the back of a Hassy - lovely feeling or old school chimping perhaps.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,140 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Sep 19, 2017 16:58 |  #103

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18455964 (external link)
This is pretty silly and about what i would think a DSLR lover would write. They are all just tools and finding the tools for how one sees and works is what equipment is all about. I prefer to do a lot of the things many want their cameras to do for them because I can do it a lot better for the way I want my work to look. I've been doing it for over 4 decades so it is just a lot easier for me. All of these cameras can capture what we see. The important part is we have to see and to have equipment that works best for each individual in capturing that vision is what this should be about. No matter what that is.

Vision??? Hey you have your method I have spray and pray... we both use what works

Next time I go out I'll hang a Nikon Sony Fuji Leica Walmart disposable and a GoPro off my neck so I can be sure my vision takes notice

I mean candids of people on street with a wtf look at my goofy butt would be pretty good vision

My Gear Archive

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by airfrogusmc. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 19, 2017 17:57 |  #104

Talley wrote in post #18456048 (external link)
Vision??? Hey you have your method I have spray and pray... we both use what works

Next time I go out I'll hang a Nikon Sony Fuji Leica Walmart disposable and a GoPro off my neck so I can be sure my vision takes notice

I mean candids of people on street with a wtf look at my goofy butt would be pretty good vision

Do what you need to do. Glad you got it all figured out.

Better yet get out the 1DX whatever with a 200 2L around your neck. That'll show everyone you're the real deal.

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,140 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Talley.
Sep 19, 2017 20:41 as a reply to airfrogusmc's post |  #105

Heck ya. With a vest too and cps stickers on the hood yo.... You do realize I'm just jacking around right.

I'll use whatever to capture my kids. I only require a jack of all trades and for the most part my two cameras does just fine. I'm not out there with any vision. Just want to capture some nice images. My first hobby is gear whoring... then taking pictures is a side effect.

Me personally don't like taking photos of strangers.

My Gear Archive

sponsored links

6,160 views & 98 likes for this thread
Rangefinder digitals, options?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.