Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk
Thread started 09 Sep 2017 (Saturday) 05:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New conical diffuser

Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
Hampshire, UK
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Lester Wareham.
Sep 14, 2017 11:55 as a reply to post 18452148 |  #61

I have locked this for the moment while I work out what to do with you all and all the off topic discussion.

Can I request and require all parties not to engage in IPR pissing matches in other threads, I will be very unhappy with you if you do.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

sponsored links
SteB
Joined Oct 2008
Whitchurch, Shropshire, United Kingdom
Sep 14, 2017 12:09 as a reply to post 18452083 |  #62

Just to clarify one point. One I first described how light worked in the macro region and outlined some new ideas on diffusers/light modifiers, I made it clear that there was nothing magic about them, and they were just a means to an end. I always made it clear that you could create similar lighting in multiple ways. I specifically said that a softbox could produce similar light if modified enough.

In fact I will give you an example of what spurred this particular set of diffusers. John Hallmen's (morfa) beauty dish design was very good. John identified the problem as the bright spot in the middle of a diffuser. What he did was to attenuate the light in the centre of the diffuser similar to yours, in a slightly different way, with what he called a blocker. I've achieved a similar effect just by sticking a rectangle of white foam to the diffuser face on the inside of a diffuser similar to John's (that was only because my blocker kept falling off or going out of alignment.
http://www.photomacrog​raphy.net/forum/viewto​pic.php?t=8783 (external link)

Initially I tried to make mini versions of John's beauty dishes for the MT24EX. But it was too fiddly, they only had to be knocked slightly, and light would get around the blocker causing hotspots. I tried using multiple thicknesses of diffuser like your design, using styrofoam cups for the soft boxes, but because they were just pushed on they could get out of alignment and the same problem could occur i.e. uneven light. The concave diffuser idea was to avoid alignment sensitivity, but then I found out that they had other properties such as focusing the light and were far more efficient in terms of light output compared to softbox types.

Again I've never claimed any magical properties for my diffusers, unlike the manufacturers of diffusers, and with careful construction you can achieve similar results with different designs. But a softbox will always be much less efficient than the focused light from the concave diffusers.

Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
Hampshire, UK
Sep 15, 2017 12:58 as a reply to Lester Wareham's post |  #63

OK I have tried to remove the worst of the IPR and prior-art type material from the thread without damaging useful information content. This is better that just wholesale deletion but is a LOT of moderation effort, particularly as much was added after my initial warnings.

Do not use the forum for making claim and counter claim about IPR, it is not the proper place, further such posts will be simply deleted so be careful.

On this occasion we will forgo the floggings, but don't make more work for me, I have enough to do already.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

racketman
Cream of the Crop
20,646 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2005
Richmond Surrey
Sep 16, 2017 12:35 |  #64

May I put forward a candidate for the best test of MP-E65/MT-24EX diffusion:

Allacma fusca

Toby
6D, 80D, 100D & Olympus EM-1 MKII
Flickr collections (external link)
Gear

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,243 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Sep 20, 2017 10:19 |  #65

Any updates to the 3D manufacturing? :D

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

JasonC007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2012
Derbyshire
Sep 20, 2017 11:44 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #66

I've been a little inundated with diffuser requests from people so I've been busy printing those the last few days. My other printer has arrived today so I hope to get that up an running by next week so I can keep up with prototyping etc.

I have been re-designing my current diffusers though. The bodies now attach with a TPU strap providing a much firmer attachment, plus a couple of other minor tweaks. I've also been adapting these to work with the Yongnuo YT24 which I hope to test this weekend.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4392/37158107366_666f84fceb_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4391/37158117946_627b8e5597_b.jpg

Canon 80D | 24-105L | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | MP-E65 f/2.8 1-5x Macro | Tamron 150-600 | Sigma 10mm Fisheye | EF 24mm f/2.8 Pancake | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT |
Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

sponsored links

9,570 views & 13 likes for this thread
New conical diffuser
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.