Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 11 Sep 2017 (Monday) 17:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Metering mode for portraits

James ­ Crockett
129 posts
Joined May 2017
Sep 11, 2017 17:59 |  #1

Which metering mode do you use for portrait photography? thanks!

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
74,884 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Sep 11, 2017 22:39 |  #2

It's not so much what mode you use as it is how you learn to interpret what the camera is telling you. This is what I use: Need an exposure crutch?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,252 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Sep 12, 2017 09:38 |  #3

I'm assuming you are using flash?

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

James ­ Crockett
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined May 2017
Sep 12, 2017 10:14 |  #4

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18449865 (external link)
It's not so much what mode you use as it is how you learn to interpret what the camera is telling you. This is what I use: Need an exposure crutch?

digital paradise wrote in post #18450206 (external link)
I'm assuming you are using flash?

no flash, thanks for the replies!

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Alveric.
Sep 12, 2017 11:26 |  #5

Spot, in those rare cases I don't have my lightmeter with me.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,784 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 12, 2017 13:46 |  #6

I use Evaluative for EVERYTHING. Somewhere, way in the back of shriveled up, pea-sized brain, I think it is easier to completely understand how one metering mode works, than to mostly use one, and be confused when the others don't behave as expected. I got by just fine for 40 years with film cameras that only did Center-Weighted Average.

Tom

James ­ Crockett
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined May 2017
Sep 12, 2017 14:59 |  #7

Bassat wrote in post #18450427 (external link)
I use Evaluative for EVERYTHING. Somewhere, way in the back of shriveled up, pea-sized brain, I think it is easier to completely understand how one metering mode works, than to mostly use one, and be confused when the others don't behave as expected. I got by just fine for 40 years with film cameras that only did Center-Weighted Average.

thanks Bassat!

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Sep 12, 2017 16:04 |  #8

^^^ this is the same reason I use Spot metering- pick one, read up on it, learn it's behavior and have fun.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,284 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by PhotosGuy. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 12, 2017 19:58 |  #9

Without any offense intended, Evaluative is the 'non-thinking mode'...if is what generally 'works most of the time' to provide usable (but not necessarily 'correct') exposures.

For a given skin brightness, sometimes Evaluative will result in a 'correct exposure', but there will be other times it will result in a 'somewhat underexposed' exposure, and yet other times it will result in a 'somewhat overexposed' exposure. A photographer, who needs to record with accuracy a shot so that the colors and tonality are recorded with precision might find Evaluative to be sufficiently wrong much of the time so that a client who demands ACCURACY of color (for example, someone in the textile industry) would be grossly unsatisfied.

Understand that ALL meters try it interpret the metering sample point to RENDER that point as 'midtone, 18% tonality'.

1. Evaluative prioritizes the AF focus zone(S) to have greater importance, but Evaluative includes the surrounding zones as well, to derive some composite brightness of all the zones and render that composite to average 18% tonality!
  2. Center-weighted prioritizes the central zones but includes the surrounding zones as well, to derive some composite brightness of all the zones and render that composite to average 18% tonality!
  3. Only Partial and Spot ignore all but the central area of the viewfinder

To rely upon #1 or #2 is to be subjected to inherent error introduced by other metering zones!
And to rely upon #3 is to be subject to inherent error introduced by having the metering zone which is NOT 'midtone'!...because both Partial and Spot will try to make Caucasian skin to be TOO DARK, because untanned Caucasian skin is typically about +1EV brighter than 18% midtone!

So 'the best' camera metering mode for portraiture is to simply fill the frame with an 18% gray card, and use that reading on a manually-set camera.
And 'the best metering mode (in general) for portraiture is to use a handheld incident light meter to read the amount of light falling upon the SCENE and use that reading on a manually-set camera.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Sep 12, 2017 19:59 |  #10

And this is the reason that mostly I have mine set for CWA to this day. With CWA I do know what the camera is going to do in pretty much any situation, since it is essentially the same as my Pentax ME Super did back in 1980 when I first had a camera with built in metering.

The problem with Evaluative is that the camera will assess a whole load of different sections of the frame, and then use some unknown algorithm to try to make a guess at what it is looking at. As the scene gets more complicated you run a higher chance of the camera taking an unexpected decision. My all time favorite metering mode though is still an external incident lightmeter, preferably with circular analogue readout, which is what I started out with back around 1974 or so.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

FTb
Joined Jun 2014
Sep 15, 2017 23:38 |  #11

Wilt wrote in post #18450749 (external link)
both Partial and Spot will try to make Caucasian skin to be TOO BRIGHT, because untanned Caucasian skin is typically about +1EV brighter than 18% midtone!

You mean too DARK don't you?

My flickrexternal link
Favorite lenses: Canon 16-35 f/4 L IS, 50/1.2L, 85/1.2L II, 135/2L, 70-200L IS II, TS-E 17mm f/4L

Wilt
39,284 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Wilt.
Sep 20, 2017 14:40 |  #12

FTb wrote in post #18453331 (external link)
You mean too DARK don't you?

Yes, you are correct. Over the past week this is the second time my brain has made my hands type the wrong thing! :cry:

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

PhotosGuy
74,884 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Sep 20, 2017 15:22 |  #13

Wilt wrote in post #18456666 (external link)
Yes, you are correct. Over the past week this is the second time my brain has made my hands type the wrong thing! :cry:

I don't think you can edit a post that old, so I fixed it for you.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Wilt
39,284 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Sep 20, 2017 15:42 |  #14

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18456685 (external link)
I don't think you can edit a post that old, so I fixed it for you.

Never had a problem editing even older posts before!

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,758 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Chet.
Sep 20, 2017 15:54 |  #15

Wilt wrote in post #18456699 (external link)
Never had a problem editing even older posts before!

Frank is being nice. Doesn't want you to screw it up. ;-)a

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

sponsored links

16,406 views & 6 likes for this thread
Metering mode for portraits
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.