Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 16 Aug 2017 (Wednesday) 12:02
Prev/next
Poll"Skin Softening"
Always
8%
Never
16%
Half the Time
0%
on certain occasions
76%

25 voters, 25 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Skin softening - is it always necessary?

JJConstantine
Joined Sep 2017
Denver, CO
Post has been edited 1 month ago by JJConstantine.
Sep 21, 2017 00:17 |  #16

Define "skin softening" - retouch? Always! Use a plugin to soften the skin? NEVER

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.jjconstantine.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/jjcon​stantine2 (external link)
www.instagram.com/jjco​nstantinephoto/ (external link)

sponsored links
chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
MI/CO
Sep 21, 2017 05:05 |  #17

When i see someone saying that they never do something, that usually means they can't do it.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43external link

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,527 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by RDKirk.
Sep 21, 2017 06:29 |  #18

nathancarter wrote in post #18430136 (external link)
Also, as mentioned above, "skin softening" implies that you're just tossing on a heavy Gaussian blur, and obliterating all skin texture. That falls under "almost never." I'd like to think that a retoucher of any skill would not be doing that. (but I just saw one yesterday that was surprisingly overdone, from a photographer I respect - so maybe it's what the client wanted)

That's not really an implication, that's a presumption. I don't know of anyone who actually does "skin softening" who implies by the term "just tossing on a heavy Gaussian blur, obliterating all skin texture."

There are people who don't do it who make that blanket presumption about people who do.

And that's just a prejudice born of ignorance, because anyone using Photoshop knows that everything can be used heavily or delicately nuanced.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Sep 21, 2017 16:15 |  #19

JJConstantine wrote in post #18456910 (external link)
Define "skin softening" - retouch? Always! Use a plugin to soften the skin? NEVER
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by JJConstantine in
./showthread.php?p=184​56910&i=i27247781
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

It's obvious no retouching was done here. That often means it was done well.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

JJConstantine
Joined Sep 2017
Denver, CO
Sep 26, 2017 09:53 as a reply to AZGeorge's post |  #20

Thank you :) - this photo was retouched quite heavily :)

GESWhoPhoto
42 posts
Joined Sep 2017
St. Augustine, FL; USA
Sep 27, 2017 15:53 |  #21

I've mostly done portraits for friends and family thus far, and I always do what I can to make the person look their best, no matter what it takes. Now, if I ever get around to shooting photos daily and having to keep up with crazy turn-around times, I may develop a generic preset for different skin types and try to apply that.

V/r, Garrett
Current Equipment:
- Nikon D750 | Nikon D3400 | Nikon MB-D16 | Nikon SB-700 | Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD | Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 VR | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 | Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 DX | Nikkor 18-55mm kit | Nikkor 70-300mm kit |

ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Sep 27, 2017 21:51 |  #22

tim wrote in post #18430153 (external link)
10+ years as a professional wedding photographer, I've never done skin softening. However brides tend to have fairly heavy makeup which is the real world version of skin smoothing.

Yea, I just did a 'mini shoot' for a homecoming and on looking through the shots I was surprised how good the makeup was. Definitely didn't need to smooth any skin there. Of course they are 15yo, but I'm not sure that makes all that much difference. Models are often teenagers and I don't think making a 40yo look like they have the skin on an 18yo is portraiture.

Personally I always do some re-touching, but as a default I never remove or change permanent features like scars, moles etc...

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

JJConstantine
Joined Sep 2017
Denver, CO
Oct 10, 2017 00:23 as a reply to GESWhoPhoto's post |  #23

I would stay away from actions/plugins - and if I can say anything never use smoothing of any kind...
How much retouch do you think

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from JJConstantine's gallery.
this picture had?

JJConstantine
Joined Sep 2017
Denver, CO
Oct 10, 2017 00:24 as a reply to chauncey's post |  #24

what do you mean? retouch or smooth?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Oct 10, 2017 05:46 |  #25

If you do any post processing manually, there can be a filter written to do that as well, i see no distinction between the purported manual methods vs filters you can use.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

RDKirk
12,527 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Oct 10, 2017 07:46 |  #26

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18469547 (external link)
If you do any post processing manually, there can be a filter written to do that as well, i see no distinction between the purported manual methods vs filters you can use.

I agree. An action is nothing but a recorded series of Photoshop steps. Even if you buy someone else's recorded series of Photoshop steps, you can always open it up and change it to your own tastes.

And if you have your own favorite series of steps, it's silly not to record them into an action instead of doing them manually every time.

RDKirk
12,527 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Oct 10, 2017 07:51 |  #27

JJConstantine wrote in post #18469469 (external link)
I would stay away from actions/plugins - and if I can say anything never use smoothing of any kind...
How much retouch do you think this picture had?

I wouldn't know--it's a small digital image that I'm seeing on a laptop screen. I'd be more impressed, perhaps, if I were looking at it in hardcopy at 30x40.

I do wall portraits, normally and ideally reproducing my subjects at close to life size. And my subjects are frequently middle aged or older people who don't necessarily want every age spot and wrinkle frozen in time and space to be closely examined (unlike how a person is experienced in real life: Constantly in motion and influenced by personality).

Raising the act of retouching or skin softening to something like an ethical rule is silly.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Oct 10, 2017 12:02 |  #28

JJConstantine wrote in post #18469469 (external link)
How much retouch do you think
this picture had?

I'd say not quite enough because of the left-hand sweater thread. <G>

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

JJConstantine
Joined Sep 2017
Denver, CO
Oct 21, 2017 18:22 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #29

no there can't be a "process written" to encompass a manual retouch... explain how would you accomplish that? I think you are confusing "retouch" with "smoothing"

JJConstantine
Joined Sep 2017
Denver, CO
Oct 21, 2017 18:23 as a reply to RDKirk's post |  #30

do pixel peeping - lol, this image size is 1400px on a short edge - big enough to see all detail :)

sponsored links

5,904 views & 26 likes for this thread
Skin softening - is it always necessary?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.