Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 21 Sep 2017 (Thursday) 06:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

1D Mk III - Only working via AC adapter.

hyppy
Joined Jun 2013
Sep 21, 2017 06:35 |  #1

Presumably related: I was out shooting in rather damp conditions last weekend—mizzle rather than downpours—when my trusty 1D Mk III 'died'. The focus point indicators became feint through the viewfinder, it powered down after a few more shots, and wouldn't boot up again. Fearing that moisture had got to it, I stuck it in a bag with a desiccant pack overnight. Worryingly it still wouldn't boot up, meaning no more snapping for the rest of my trip.

Back at home a few days later, I've tried to work out what's what. I looked to perform a 'hard reset', removing battery and backup battery as documented elsewhere, but still nothing. I then plugged the camera into the AC adapter and it booted up just fine. I put the battery back in and again it powered up. I set the time and date again, thinking that was that and it had sorted itself out. Battery health was showing at 90% if I recall correctly, and has the final (third) led flashing when plugged into the charger.

The following day though, and I'm back to the camera not booting up from the battery, but just fine using AC adapter. Clutching at straws I've replaced the backup CR2025 (still nothing) and am currently calibrating the battery in the hope that helps. I've also tried booting from a 3rd party battery of dubious quality to no avail, so questions: Does the AC adapter use different circuitry to the battery inside the camera to power things up? Does anyone have any thoughts on what next to try?

It's at that age and value where sending away for repair isn't cost-effective but I'm reluctant to give up on it just yet. Until this incident it's been doing me proud.

Thanks.

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,387 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 21, 2017 07:01 |  #2

Did you leave the battery in it for those few days, or did you take it out immediately once you determined you had an issue? Also, do you have a 2nd battery to try? Right now based on what you have provided, I would lean toward your battery being bad. As soon as my equipment gets wet, the very first thing I do is remove the battery and get the camera in a bag of rice. I don't turn anything on, even though some would consider the on/off button to really be a "soft button" meaning the camera is always on, the on position just makes the display come alive, and activates the hard buttons.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

hyppy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2013
Sep 21, 2017 08:40 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #3

I'd left the battery in. And yeah, tried with another battery and that's no good either.

All rather frustrating … 

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 21, 2017 09:01 |  #4

Heya,

The AC adapter feeds power via the same route that the battery does. If it's powering on fine from the AC adapter, then the camera is likely fine. Mean while, your batteries may not be fine. I get generic batteries for my 1D and they work great.

That 2nd battery you have that is 3rd party, is it a recent battery? Or did you just get it to test? If not, I would get one to test. They're $20 on Amazon.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,692 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Chet.
Sep 21, 2017 09:27 |  #5

Good luck, we're all pulling for you. I have the 1d3 as well, is it worth sending to Canon for new seals due to age?

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

hyppy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2013
Sep 21, 2017 10:27 |  #6

Thanks all.

I've ordered a new 3rd-party battery and will see if that does the trick. I've got a couple of weeks before my next assignment which gives me a little time to sort something out.

eddieb1
687 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Sep 22, 2017 00:10 |  #7

Chet wrote in post #18457089 (external link)
Good luck, we're all pulling for you. I have the 1d3 as well, is it worth sending to Canon for new seals due to age?

I believe Canon has stopped servicing the 1D3.

hyppy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2013
Post has been edited 2 months ago by hyppy.
Sep 22, 2017 11:16 |  #8

So … 

New battery arrived. Plugged it in and nothing. Plug AC adapter in and now, nothing there either. Not looking good. Plug old battery in: Powers up! New battery in: Nothing. AC adapter in: Powers up! New battery in: Powers up! Old battery in: Powers up! Even older battery in: Powers up!

So I'm seriously confused now but have a half-baked new theory: there's something up with the camera's battery latch. The camera obviously powers down when the latch is turned, but does that act as part of the battery/AC adapter circuitry or as a simple switch?

I've left it 10 minutes and gone back to it a couple of times now—so as to take it by surprise—and it's currently behaving and powering up each time, but I still don't fully trust it.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,387 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Sep 22, 2017 14:48 |  #9

Perhaps the battery lock in the body for the latch is a bit corroded? It sounds like a corrosion issue to me at this point?

hyppy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2013
Sep 22, 2017 15:03 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #10

Yeah, that's my thinking too, although my Google-fu is failing me in discovering what's actually going on inside the latch, so unsure what might be corroded and how that is causing the fault, presuming that this is actually the cause of said fault.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 2 months ago by John from PA.
Sep 22, 2017 15:17 |  #11

hyppy wrote in post #18457867 (external link)
So … New battery arrived. Plugged it in and nothing. Plug AC adapter in and now, nothing there either.

You don't mention it but I assume you fully charged the new battery prior to attempting to use it. Since about spring of 2016 batteries are required to be shipped at no more than 30% of their fully charged capacity. That may not be enough to work properly.

hyppy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2013
Sep 22, 2017 15:26 |  #12

Thanks John.

John from PA wrote in post #18458085 (external link)
You don't mention it but I assume you fully charged the new battery prior to attempting to use it.

I didn't …

Since about spring of 2015 batteries are required to be shipped at no more than 30% of their fully charged capacity.

… but that's exactly the charge it was reading … 

That may not be enough to work properly.

… and once it did power up again seemed to be working ok.

hyppy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2013
Sep 23, 2017 01:59 |  #13

Sigh. It won't power up at all this morning, battery or AC adapter. :(

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,387 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Sep 23, 2017 04:26 |  #14

Most likely by the random nature, one of the PCBs has corrosion, and the powering up and down, while wet and now, has caused issues. :(

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Sep 23, 2017 06:53 |  #15

hyppy wrote in post #18458436 (external link)
Sigh. It won't power up at all this morning, battery or AC adapter. :(

I see by one of your old posts that you likely reside in the UK. That camera has been around since 2007 so here in the States service by Canon may no longer be available and that could be the same in the UK. It seems about time to seek out an independent camera repair shop.

sponsored links

17,703 views & 4 likes for this thread
1D Mk III - Only working via AC adapter.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.