Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 20 Sep 2017 (Wednesday) 20:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Blu Ray still viable for image archives?

Deardorff
104 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Sep 20, 2017 20:12 |  #1

I know many use separate hard drives for storage. I have a few and use them and will end up with more as I go on.
Are Blu-Ray discs still viable as another media for image archiving? A physical/tangible disc stored in a good fireproof/waterproof safe so there is an alternative that won't be hit by an EMP or a major solar storm that wipes much of the electrical storage.

I know finding a new reader after an event might not be easy but could keep a portable one with drivers on the physical disc with the rest so I could use it once computers were up and running again.

Viable, or not these days?

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

sponsored links
gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,861 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited 7 months ago by gjl711.

Sep 20, 2017 21:15 |  #2

Yes and no. Also, Blu-Ray is not susceptible to EMP and if we do have a EMP strong enough to wipe out a drive, then lost images is going to be the least of your problems. :)

As to media, regular BluRay disks do not have a very long shelf life. Some say 5 years or less. If you invest in archival media then you are safer for a lot longer. However, archival medial is more expensive. A quick peek on Amazon shows a 15 pack of archival disks runs $67. To back up one TB, you need 40 disks, or three packs. That's $201 in disks. I can buy several 1TB hard drives for the same cost.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

tim
Light Bringer
50,908 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 21, 2017 15:00 |  #3

25GB is too small to bother for me. I use 4TB hard drives.

Also, there's no such thing as fireproof. Offsite is essential.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

gjl711
53,861 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 21, 2017 15:10 |  #4

tim wrote in post #18457299 (external link)
25GB is too small to bother for me. I use 4TB hard drives.

Also, there's no such thing as fireproof. Offsite is essential.

There are the 100g disks but they are very expensive. a 5 pack runs $88 so to backup a 1tb drive, you are liking at $176. Right now on Amazon you can get a 1tb WD black passport for $46. I would rather have four passports as backup then BR disks I think.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,588 posts
Gallery: 1052 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 21, 2017 15:14 |  #5

I would think BluRay would be a pretty expensive and limited and slow option for actual archival of images.

Pick a media that will handle your requirements and encase it something that protects from what you don't want to risk. That will be more viable than some disks.

True backup is offsite. Have a mirror of everything in a cloud hosted on another side of the planet

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,754 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 05, 2018 17:47 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #6

A general area deployed EMP strong enough to wipe out data in HDD, we will have a much much bigger problem than losing data in HDD. The HDD head is so close the disk platter, even a small power magnetic pulse can alter the HDD content. But with a EMP deploy say by military weapon, the chance it has effect on HDD is minimal .

Just for reference, HDD magnetic head size to platter distance is like a 747 flying 2 feet off the ground. When I was in the HDD read head industry, we have to develop mechanism to handle the event when the head make contact with the platter.

But I do agree, BlueRay, or any optical disk media, the shiny part of the disk is metal. They are subject to oxidation. I have lose many disk due to this. I certainly won't archieve anything with an optical media.

The most reliable achieve media I have seen is magnetic back up tapes. I have seen my previous company's IT recover data a magnetic tape with water and physical damager simply by boiling the tape and roll it on to a new take holder. I was very impressed. But this isn't a very doable method for most people.

Between cost and reliable and convenient trade off, I think HDD is the way to go these days. This may change in future.

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

gjl711
53,861 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 05, 2018 17:59 |  #7

eelnoraa wrote in post #18534402 (external link)
A general area deployed EMP strong enough to wipe out data in HDD, we will have a much much bigger problem than losing data in HDD. The HDD head is so close the disk platter, even a small power magnetic pulse can alter the HDD content. But with a EMP deploy say by military weapon, the chance it has effect on HDD is minimal .

Just for reference, HDD magnetic head size to platter distance is like a 747 flying 2 feet off the ground. When I was in the HDD read head industry, we have to develop mechanism to handle the event when the head make contact with the platter.

But I do agree, BlueRay, or any optical disk media, the shiny part of the disk is metal. They are subject to oxidation. I have lose many disk due to this. I certainly won't archieve anything with an optical media.

The most reliable achieve media I have seen is magnetic back up tapes. I have seen my previous company's IT recover data a magnetic tape with water and physical damager simply by boiling the tape and roll it on to a new take holder. I was very impressed. But this isn't a very doable method for most people.

Between cost and reliable and convenient trade off, I think HDD is the way to go these days. This may change in future.

I just took apart an old drive that failed and was amazed at how powerful the actuator magnets (external link) are. These suckers when stuck to the fridge will not come off. You have to slide them off and even then, they are nearly un-removable. I would think that any EMP would blow the controller, not the data on the platters.

tim
Light Bringer
50,908 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 06, 2018 01:41 |  #8

Forget EMP, think fire that destroys a home, much more likely.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

drmaxx
896 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jul 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by drmaxx. (2 edits in all)

Jan 06, 2018 04:58 |  #9

The question is not just about the longevity of the media, but also about the hardware that will be capable of reading your discs. I was looking at BlueRay external readers lately and I found that they are a) fairly expensive and b) old technology (in terms of connections, etc - e.g. none of them were USB 3). By no means an extensive search - but I really got the impression that BlueRay for computers is a dying niche. I certainly would not put money on BlueRay for long term storage.

P.S. If you want to protect harddrives from an EMP you also can store them in a metal box - e.g. an old ammunition box.

Donate if you love POTN

drmaxx
896 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 06, 2018 05:18 |  #10

tim wrote in post #18534630 (external link)
Forget EMP, think fire that destroys a home, much more likely.

Agree with the second part of the sentence - but a serious EMP (or similar effects) is a very real thing. Solar flares and coronal mass ejections might get strong enough to destroy electronics. Just because we have no well established probability of occurrence this doesn't mean that it might not happen.

Donate if you love POTN

gjl711
53,861 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 06, 2018 08:21 |  #11

drmaxx wrote in post #18534676 (external link)
The question is not just about the longevity of the media, but also about the hardware that will be capable of reading your discs. ...

Anyone counting on a particular medium to store long term is banking on failure. As you pointed out, technology moves so fast that what is common today will be obsolete in a few years. It's much safer to copy data from old storage mediums to newer ones ever few years. I use to back up using 5 1/4 /moved to 3.5 disks, then Colorado backup tape, then DVDs/Blu-ray and now hard drives. I'm sure something will come alone in a few years rendering my hard drives unreadable. Thing is, I still have much of the data from long ago.

Sideshot
88 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Jan 06, 2018 09:21 |  #12

Blu-Ray discs store data on a thin film, after time temperature fluctuation and other conditions that film can deteriorate. Different productions of Blu-Ray discs have had problems with longevity and deterioration.

They were never designed for long term storage. Just designed to store some media for short term use.

One issue with data storage is you want to keep up with technology so you are not looking tru vintage 2nd hand stores for DVD players and adapters just to retrieve your data.

Much better options out there.

gjl711
53,861 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 06, 2018 19:12 |  #13

Sideshot wrote in post #18534801 (external link)
Blu-Ray discs store data on a thin film, after time temperature fluctuation and other conditions that film can deteriorate. Different productions of Blu-Ray discs have had problems with longevity and deterioration.

They were never designed for long term storage. Just designed to store some media for short term use.

One issue with data storage is you want to keep up with technology so you are not looking tru vintage 2nd hand stores for DVD players and adapters just to retrieve your data.

Much better options out there.

Only true for normal DVD/Blu-ray. They do make archival media that will last decades. It is quite a bit more costly though.

Gomar
527 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 15, 2018 12:21 |  #14

Problem is in 5-10 years BD drives will no longer be sold. Thus, if your drive breaks, you wont be able to read BD discs.
Look at what happened to ZIPs(100,250mb), Jaz, LS-120, Syquest, etc. No longer sold.
Stay with cloud and HDDs.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,106 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 1 month ago by Wilt.

Mar 15, 2018 13:23 |  #15

Just keep in mind that a number of different Cloud storage companies have entered the business, then exited the business. Some went totally OUT OF BUSINESS!

And in the 35 years since personal computing started, a number of harddrive technologies have come and gone, in the march of progress. And the connection bus in the computer motherboard has changed at least 3 times (perhaps 4), and you cannot easily buy the interface card to plug into the current PC bus of modern PCs.

It takes time and work to migrate digital data, to keep it accessible in spite of technology evolution.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

1,113 views & 2 likes for this thread
Blu Ray still viable for image archives?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.