Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 07 Jul 2017 (Friday) 15:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Windows 10 search WON'T WORK!

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Jul 07, 2017 15:03 |  #1

Not photo related, but in general, my Windows 10 search simply will not work. I've exhaustively searched Google on this topic and found a handful of "solutions" that seem to work for others, but not me. Simple stuff from turning off Cortana to deleting my profile and creating a new one. Even messing around with some stuff in the registry. I suspected an indexing issue, but that entire drive is indexed. I rebuilt it and the problem still exists. I can open explorer and do a normal search, but it can take minutes opposed to the indexed search via the windows start button.

Unfortunately, NOTHING helps.

Normally I would search (i.e. windows key and start typing "vacation") and get PDFs, Word docs, folders, etc. with "vacation" anywhere in it. Now when I do that, it only seems to search Outlook (emails with "vacation" in them) and my Dropbox folder. ONLY the dropbox folder?!?! Why??? It's on the same harddrive as everything else (E:\Dropbox)

Any ideas before I give up for good?

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,381 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jul 07, 2017 15:08 |  #2

Try the stuff at https://www.windowscen​tral.com ...ch-not-working-windows-10 (external link).

If nothing works, then report back and be a bit more specific of the exact version of Win10.

Ascenta
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2005
Jul 07, 2017 15:22 |  #3

Thanks! I think I tried all of those except the paging file. I have that set up on a separate drive...maybe I'll just go back to the usual C: drive paging file. And check the size.

PrinceAbubu
397 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Jul 07, 2017 20:01 |  #4

reinstall windows 10?

Canon 6D | 17-40 F4 L | 70-200 F2.8 L | 50 1.4 | | 430EX II Flash | Olympus OM-D E-M10 14-42mm kit lens | Sony A5000 with 16-50mm kit | Velbon Sherpa 600R | Manfrotto Monopod 790B | Naneu Pro urbangear U30 |Lowe Pro Flipside 200 | Toploader pro 75AW | wish list Fujifilm XT1 with 35mm f2 | (goneski) 1DsMk1, 450D with 18-200mm, 40mm stm

eddieb1
673 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Jul 07, 2017 22:17 |  #5

Try going into Services and see if Windows Search got disabled. If it is, set it to automatic, reboot and you should be good to go.

tim
Light Bringer
50,844 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Jul 08, 2017 00:40 |  #6

Use Everything Search (external link) if you can get by just searching for filenames. It's instant.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

icor1031
Joined Jan 2015
Aug 07, 2017 11:20 |  #7

X search is absolute rubbish.
Use this: http://www.classicshel​l.net/downloads/ (external link)

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

KDPIV
20 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Sep 21, 2017 19:30 as a reply to icor1031's post |  #8

completely agree vmad

One photographer and a dream

sponsored links

1,061 views & 0 likes for this thread
Windows 10 search WON'T WORK!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.