Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 21 Sep 2017 (Thursday) 19:00
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I'm making the jump into dslr and dont know whether to go with the old or the newer?

KDPIV
20 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Sep 21, 2017 19:00 |  #1

I'm tight on cash and only have tops 1300 to spend. I want to get a good value dslr and lens setup for sports shooting and portraits. What should I be looking for??

One photographer and a dream

sponsored links
KDPIV
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Sep 21, 2017 19:02 |  #2

bump

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 21, 2017 19:07 |  #3

Heya,

You can get a ton of camera and lenses in the used market. Just depends on what you want to get into.

Sports puts demand on the AF abilities and the FPS so that you can capture specific moments in a sequence. ISO performance can play into this a little too if you're shooting in lower light, indoor, etc.

It also really matters what sports you're talking. It's quite different shooting indoor volleyball, compared to outdoor soccer on a full size field.

Portrait can be done with any setup really, you don't need many features other than a working sensor and whatever lens (portrait can be done with anything honestly). Just depends on what kind of portraits you're looking to do. But you don't need a supremely fast aperture lens. Lighting makes more of an impact in my opinion and experience than just using thin depth of field. Be creative with portrait, it's not all the same. But it would help to know if you're planning on doing studio portraits (indoor, controlled) or outdoor stuff, etc, and what look you're looking to achieve.

$1300 is a great budget. So you have a lot of options.

So to best recommend something, we need to know what sports, what conditions, and what kind of portraits you're looking to do.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

tdlavigne
292 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Sep 21, 2017 19:08 |  #4

Used 7dII and used 70-200mm ideally f2.8 but worst case scenario if you're shooting with decent light the f4 is a gem too. Or a used 135L. The 7DII pops up locally for around $700-800.

Some people will probably disagree but I think the original 7D was nothing short of amazing. I'd probably go for that (used for around $400-500), a 135L (used for around $600), and then a 24 or 40mm (or 50mm if you prefer) prime (for around $100-250). Or if you get really lucky a 70-200mm f2.8 Non-IS for around $750. All in you should be around $1200, which would leave you enough for a memory card and spare battery.

KDPIV
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Sep 21, 2017 19:14 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #5

On my sports side I work with outdoor sports specifically being football, soccer, and track + field. I shoot both night and daytime conditions for the team. Along with the sports it will be alot of the same conditions for my portrait work. I do many family and solo portraits outside. Thank you for the advise!

MalVeauX
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 26 days ago by MalVeauX.
Sep 21, 2017 19:44 |  #6

KDPIV wrote in post #18457443 (external link)
On my sports side I work with outdoor sports specifically being football, soccer, and track + field. I shoot both night and daytime conditions for the team. Along with the sports it will be alot of the same conditions for my portrait work. I do many family and solo portraits outside. Thank you for the advise!

I think I would target an APS-C or APS-H sensor size for this, to get the benefits of pixel density with shorter faster lenses so that you can get a lot of flexibility with your budget. Football, soccer, track & field, etc, will need some long glass on the far end of the field, and can get pretty close near side on the field. While you can get a ton of lens with a long prime, you also lose versatility of a zoom. A big zoom will be slower (focal ratio) which is totally fine for daylight conditions outside. It's when its dark out that it can become a challenge to maintain a fast enough shutter (1/640~1/800s or so) for action, and that's at ISO 12,800 often. If that's what you have to be at, then so be it though, if that means getting the shot. So the Canon 100-400 F5.6L ($750ish) could be a great option for sunny day, but will hard to use at night unless there's great field lights. A newer option is the Sigma 100-400 OS, but it's even slower at the long end so will be really hard to use in low light. Unfortunately the kind of lens you'd need for both day & night conditions would be something in the F2.8 flavor range, F4 at the slowest, for a night game probably, and those cost quite a bit. The ideal lens for versatility would be a Sigma 120-300 F2.8 OS, but that is more than your budget. So I think the next best thing would be a Canon 300 F4L (non-IS or IS) because it's fast, long and affordable (often $500~600 used or so). Otherwise, you can look to a 70-200 F2.8L non-IS for around $700ish used so that you're at F2.8 and have a little reach, but 200mm will be reach starved on a long field at the far side. But that F2.8 at night can be a big deal. Note, you could get a Tamron 70-200 F2.8 VC for about $750 too, if you want something new with stabilization.

For portrait, you can get a simple EF-S 18-55 STM for about $80 used. They're sharp, great, flexible, and will do a lot of good for basic portrait considering groups. If you're feeling like you can get away with a lot of working room with a group, you could instead move towards the Canon 50mm F1.8 STM which is fantastic for portrait of all kinds and sharp wide open. Great for solo portrait. Can also do great for group portrait if you have enough working room outside. It's only about $100 these days, so it's a total steal for what it is. Sharp, cheap, fast.

For cameras, maybe consider a Canon 7D (first gen) around $400ish used. Fast excellent AF, 8 FPS, great build, great camera for the cost. Another consideration is a Canon 1D Mark III ($550ish used), which is awesome AF, 10 FPS, 1D build and is a ton of camera (cannot use EF-S lenses, but that's ok when you're mostly looking to reach out).

Personally I think you'll get more from glass than the body. But for sports, a body really can matter a lot. And again, portrait can be done with nearly anything, you just have to be creative.

Shop here on POTN, FredMiranda, Ebay, KEH, etc. Look for deals on specific items.

Some things to maybe shop for and watch for:

Canon 7D ($400~450ish used)
Canon 1D Mark III ($500~600ish used)
Canon 70-200 F2.8L non-IS ($700ish used)
Tamron 70-200 F2.8 VC G1 ($750ish used)
Canon 300mm F4L (non-IS & IS version) ($500~650ish depending on model, used)
Canon 50mm F1.8 STM ($100ish new)
Yongnuo 35mm F2 ($85ish new)

Personally I'd lean towards the 1D3 and a 300 F4L IS and a 50mm STM for your total budget, with an extra battery (third party, $20). Then as budget allows, consider adding a 1.4x TC over time and start saving towards a Sigma 120-300 F2.8 OS eventually and a monopod.

Very best,

KDPIV
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Sep 21, 2017 20:08 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #7

Awesome will definitely start the search and thank you for the help!

MalVeauX
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 21, 2017 20:15 |  #8

So you say you already are shooting, so what are you already using? What kind of results?

Very best,

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,899 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 26 days ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 21, 2017 20:41 |  #9

To shoot sports for what you are calling out, the options I would suggest are the following, but you have to decide how to fit a budget around these and still get glass. These I have used for NBA sports, softball, nighttime football, etc.

1D Mark III
1D Mark IV
5D3
7D2
5D4

The 80D is supposed to be pretty good, I haven't shot with one.

For lenses, the 70-200 2.8 is my staple.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

345 views & 3 likes for this thread
I'm making the jump into dslr and dont know whether to go with the old or the newer?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.