Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 21 Sep 2017 (Thursday) 18:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Potential gift

Galix
Joined May 2013
Sep 21, 2017 18:55 |  #1

These pictures will be printed separately on 16X20 metal sheets and gifted to Mom. Of course, final quality of print will be higher than this...

The image is pretty much as I envisioned it while planing for it, but does it look too much like a prison ? What do you think of the concept ?

Thanks for helping me out !

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Sep 22, 2017 06:03 |  #2

Does this building have some special meaning to your mom or is there a story here?

To me, just looking and knowing nothing about what it is I'm looking at, I can't envision these pictures hanging on my wall. They really don't do anything for me.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,970 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Sep 22, 2017 10:38 |  #3

I wouldn't say it looks like a prison, but whether it'll be a welcome gift is impossible to say without knowing your mom's taste in art.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,068 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Sep 22, 2017 11:12 |  #4

I like the concept. They are powerful images that evoke a sense of loneliness and coldness. Mental institution rather than prison comes to mind. As mentioned, I don't know what kind of art Mom's into.

Galix
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2013
Sep 22, 2017 11:32 |  #5

This is exactly the feedback I wanted, thank you all so much, it is truly appreciated.

The person to whom these are destined also likes out of focus images posted on Facebook, so... still not sure if she will like them.

I, on the other hand, am quite fond of the result: my kids an I had fun planing things out and having a blast on a Sunday afternoon walk ! :)

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,097 posts
Joined May 2007
Huntington Beach California
Oct 16, 2017 13:50 |  #6

I was wondering the same thing as a previous poster, does this building have some significance to the gift recipient? I do find it interesting, as a 3 part art piece, but it really does look like a mental institution. That said, I love the repeating patterns of the windows, and the placement of the 3 people in the image. I'm sure it will be a conversation piece! And isn't that what art is supposed to do; to evoke an emotion, spark a conversation etc.?

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

sponsored links

417 views & 1 like for this thread
Potential gift
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.