Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 12 Sep 2017 (Tuesday) 13:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Custom carry-on flight case

Trik
Joined Apr 2005
Dorset, England
Sep 12, 2017 13:39 |  #1

I am fed up with lugging a backpack on to a plane, getting the straps caught up trying to get it into an overhead locker and hearing the tutting of other passengers waiting to get passed. The weight is starting to be a problem too. So...

I would like a hard case, with extending handle and wheels, of a suitable size to fit in the overhead lockers. I want to have this case fitted out with custom foam inserts to take one each of the following Canon equipment :

300mm f2.8 lens with strap but without hood (I think I can risk that in my hold luggage)
2x Extender Mk 3
7D2
7D
100mm macro lens
24-105mm lens
Plus various small compartments for extras like remote release, batteries etc.

Am I asking too much? If not, suggestions please as to how to accomplish this, including makes of flight cases, custom insert manufacturers (UK only, please) to approach and so on - plus how much brandy I will need to revive me after finding out the price!

Many thanks
Trik

sponsored links
nordlysBW
328 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Sep 12, 2017 15:24 |  #2

You don't forget that the weight limit is more often than we wish under 10kg, with the current trend being around 6 to 7kg. That means that any sort of hard case with all the bells and whistles is already going to put a limit on what you will be carrying inside it.

Trik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2005
Dorset, England
Sep 13, 2017 11:19 |  #3

My current Tamrac 5 backpack, loaded with the above bar one short lens, weighs about 8.5 kg, so I do have a little to spare, but maybe not enough. I have not started looking at carry-on flight cases yet so I do not know how heavy they are. Doubtless, the lighter and stronger they are, the more expensive they will be, but I would be prepared to spend quite a bit to save the strain on my back and legs trudging back and forth along those tiresome zigzags that now seem to be inevitable for security, passport control etc.

bpalermini
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Ashland, Oregon
Sep 13, 2017 11:25 |  #4

Well, the Pelican 1535 (external link) is pretty much exactly what you are asking for. I don't know about UK availability but there are a number of companies who make similar cases here in the US so I would bet you can find something similar there.

The Air line is their newer, lighter line. I have the older 1510 and it holds everything you listed.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 300 IS 2.8L, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,387 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Sep 13, 2017 11:49 |  #5

Could you use the backpacks that have retractable handles? Not this particular product, but at least a concept of what might work.

https://www.amazon.com ...fRID=YYMB9KSS6DXP36​VJC8QX (external link)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

nordlysBW
328 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Sep 13, 2017 14:49 |  #6

The Pelican is great as such but heavy: 4.53 kg

Along the line suggested by TeamSpeed I could suggest the Cabin Max Flight Approved Lightweight Carry on Trolley Backpack Bag (1.7kg):
https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...sr=8-2&keywords=cabin+max (external link)

I use the standard Cabin Max to save another kilo, and live with the fact I have to carry it and can't roll it

Trik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2005
Dorset, England
Sep 14, 2017 11:32 as a reply to nordlysBW's post |  #7

Cabin Max Flight Approved Lightweight Carry on Trolley Backpack Bag looks a good option, but the details don't mention anything like adjustable dividers in the main compartment to create sections to separate my gear securely, which is a big disadvantage.

Prior to nordlysBW's post, I had not realised that it was possible to get such a thing as a camera backpack/trolley, so thanks for that. I have now been trawling through amazon.co.uk and found lots of good camera trolley bags but although their dimensions should be OK for budget airlines' allowances, they are too heavy and, with my gear, will probably exceed the 10kg limit, which is all rather frustrating. :rolleyes:

Trik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2005
Dorset, England
Sep 14, 2017 12:49 |  #8

I have found the Lowepro Photostream RL 150. It's dimensions are OK for budget airlines but it weighs 3.63 kg, so I'll have to do some calculating to make sure I wouldn't be over the limit. Anyone got this case who can let me know the pros and cons, please?

I like the look of the Think Tank Airport Advantage Rolling Case, too, and at 2.7 kg it's a better weight. It's quite a bit more expensive than the Lowepro, so I would like to know if it is worth the extra. Any views, please?

nordlysBW
328 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Sep 14, 2017 14:37 |  #9

Trik wrote in post #18452143 (external link)
Cabin Max Flight Approved Lightweight Carry on Trolley Backpack Bag looks a good option, but the details don't mention anything like adjustable dividers in the main compartment to create sections to separate my gear securely, which is a big disadvantage.

No dividers indeed as this is not a photo equipment trolley. You can go two different ways. One is to buy dividers or an insert, the other is to make your own. For the DIY version, my experience is that with a closed cell camping mat cut to size, sewn into fleece sleeves with velcro strips on both ends you can customize any bag. Lightweight, offering good padding and very affordable. If you don't own a sewing-machine, somebody you know might be able to help.

Trik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2005
Dorset, England
Sep 14, 2017 17:56 as a reply to nordlysBW's post |  #10

There's another thing I learned today - I didn't know it was possible to buy inserts or dividers separately! Finding the right size insert to fit might be a problem, though? I do have a sewing machine, but, these days, I really can't be bothered to faff about making a bespoke one, as my fingers aren't as strong or nimble as they used to be. Thank you for the suggestion, anyway.

Trik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2005
Dorset, England
Sep 22, 2017 12:02 |  #11

I went for the Think Tank Airport Advantage. I liked the Lowepro and it seemed sturdier, but the Think Tank was nearly 1 kg lighter. There was also a 20% discount, and that clinched it for me, although weight was my primary consideration.

sponsored links

707 views & 1 like for this thread
Custom carry-on flight case
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.