Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 14 Aug 2017 (Monday) 22:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

The Chinese battery charger that saved our Trip to Africa!

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,797 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. 3 edits done in total.
Aug 16, 2017 10:58 |  #16

DaviSto wrote in post #18428990 (external link)
In the UK, ExpressPro sell their own Ex-Pro branded version through Amazon. There seems to be a good range of plates available for sale either with a base unit or separately. ExpressPro seem to be one of the best of the Chinese goods resellers. They appear to be pretty careful about what they choose to put their name on and offer a good service.

https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...smid=A15TW43BF9Y9WW​&psc=1 (external link)

That's cool, but fyi, those plates (and the charger they go on) do not look like they are the same as the ones the Neewer charger uses. They might not be compatible, (although from the photos, even though the plates are different, they do look like they might be physically compatible) and the dual charger is certainly a different unit without the much desired LCD read out.

I know of at least two completely different plate systems available.
Lenmar was the first to do this, going back to at least the late 1990s,. and they still support that system. Haven't seen any on Amazon in the US, but a google will lead you to them. Plates are usually around $5.00. Adorama sells them for $3.00!!

The more recent one is Watson. They make all the plates easily available.

I am not at all sure why the plates found on so many of these Chinese parts like Neewer and Wasabi are hard to find.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,797 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Aug 16, 2017 11:25 |  #17

OK, bless Adorama again!

First, here is the same charger under two different names;

https://www.adorama.co​m/gxch2.html (external link)
https://www.adorama.co​m/vova1202.html (external link)

And if you search Adorama for "Smart Charger plate volta" you will get a ton of the plates, all only $1.99 :) :) :)

....no idea if my search link will remain working;
https://www.adorama.co​m ...smart+charger+plate​+volta (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Aug 16, 2017 11:45 |  #18

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18429231 (external link)
That's cool, but fyi, those plates (and the charger they go on) do not look like they are the same as the ones the Neewer charger uses. They might not be compatible, (although from the photos, even though the plates are different, they do look like they might be physically compatible) and the dual charger is certainly a different unit without the much desired LCD read out.

I'm pretty sure it is essentially the same unit ... although not very well presented in the marketing photograph. The design does look slightly different. It certainly includes the LCD read out and the specification includes identical functionality: L/H charge rates; AC/DC power supply; high output 2.1A USB charge port, etc.

I can find the actual identical base unit produced by Topmax (at a better price) but only with a Nikon plate and no separate plate availability (not a lot of use to me). Bottom screenshot shows this one.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,797 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Aug 16, 2017 11:48 |  #19

Ah, that one does look correct. I had found a different one;
https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...fRID=C3DKT4SG2VQSEY​QFH1T1 (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

KeithS
Joined Jul 2009
Arizona
Aug 16, 2017 12:54 |  #20

The plates for the Neewer chargers look to be identical to the plates that come with the Wasabi chargers. The Wasabi chargers are essentially free when in a package with a couple of Canon replacement batteries. I have a few of the Wasabi chargers. The ones for LPE6 and BP511 appear to be identical and the plates are interchangeable with each charger. The voltage output in these two chargers is listed at 8.4 volts.

I also have a Wasabi charger that I got with replacement batteries for a Sony RX-100. Outwardly, the charger is the same shape as the ones for Canon, and the plates will interchange. However, the voltage in the Sony replacement is listed at 4.2 volts.

So, if the Neewer and the Wasabi plates are the same, the plates can also be had with an order of Wasabi batteries. I'm not sure what, if any leeway there is regarding differing voltage outputs.

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,797 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. 3 edits done in total.
Aug 16, 2017 13:59 |  #21

KeithS wrote in post #18429340 (external link)
The plates for the Neewer chargers look to be identical to the plates that come with the Wasabi chargers. ...

They are.
This was part of my first post. I was using the Wasabi Fuji charger plate with the Neewer charger in Botswana.
I also included an extensive list of other compatible "brands" in that post.

As for voltage, I am pretty sure that the charge voltage is read from the battery,. that most any modern charger will have flexible output voltage, but I suppose I could be wrong. I will look to see what is listed for the Fuji vs. the LP-E6 that I have already tried.

Usually in a case like this, if the physical part is made to fit (ie: the plates are interchangeable) than that should = no fear of voltage concerns. If I can find two differing voltage chargers, I will be happy to risk a fried battery to test, but again, I believe they should work fine.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Aug 16, 2017 20:58 |  #22

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18429383 (external link)
They are.
This was part of my first post. I was using the Wasabi Fuji charger plate with the Neewer charger in Botswana.
I also included an extensive list of other compatible "brands" in that post.

As for voltage, I am pretty sure that the charge voltage is read from the battery,. that most any modern charger will have flexible output voltage, but I suppose I could be wrong. I will look to see what is listed for the Fuji vs. the LP-E6 that I have already tried.

Usually in a case like this, if the physical part is made to fit (ie: the plates are interchangeable) than that should = no fear of voltage concerns. If I can find two differing voltage chargers, I will be happy to risk a fried battery to test, but again, I believe they should work fine.

I've been keeping an eye out for your photos from Botswana. I'm looking forward to see how your new 500 ll and 5D IV worked for you.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

i-G12
Wat?
1,368 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Seattle, WA
Aug 21, 2017 17:15 |  #23

Jake, I'm confused. What did you plug into that was DC current? And why wasnt AC available? I haven't experienced that YET.

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by DaviSto. 3 edits done in total.
Aug 21, 2017 17:28 |  #24

i-G12 wrote in post #18433529 (external link)
Jake, I'm confused. What did you plug into that was DC current? And why wasnt AC available? I haven't experienced that YET.

Jeep 12v socket, I imagine.

Mains or even generator power is not to be relied upon outside the big cities in much of Africa (and inside the big cities may be a good deal less than desirable). It won't be a problem if you're staying in nice swanky hotels, of course. Maybe Jake wasn't.

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,797 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Aug 22, 2017 11:20 |  #25

i-G12 wrote in post #18433529 (external link)

The backie's cigarette lighter.
We were camping in tents on top of the backie for 8 days.

We had Hippo, Elephant and of course monkeys right in our campsites. With the occasional Jackal, Hyena and Lion very near by :eek:

HOSTED PHOTO

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,797 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Aug 22, 2017 11:34 |  #26

DaviSto wrote in post #18433535 (external link)
Jeep 12v socket, I imagine.

Mains or even generator power is not to be relied upon outside the big cities in much of Africa (and inside the big cities may be a good deal less than desirable). It won't be a problem if you're staying in nice swanky hotels, of course. Maybe Jake wasn't.

No hotels. We had three very nice nights in lodges, and two nights in a rented house. Two of those lodge days were at the start and end of the trip, about 20 minutes from Maun airfield.

Days in places with power in red

Fri 20 ------ Backpackers Lodge, MAUN
Sat 22 ----- Xakanaxa - Moremi, Okavango Delta, Botswana
Sun 23 ---- Xakanaxa - Moremi, Okavango Delta, Botswana
Mon 24---- Khwai - Khwai River, Okavango Delta, Botswana
Tue 25 ---- Khwai - Khwai River, Okavango Delta, Botswana
Wed 26 --- Savuti - Linyanti, Botswana
Thur 27 --- Muchenje - Chobe, Botswana
Fri 28 ----- Muchenje - Chobe, Botswana
Sat 29 ---- Kazungula Residence - Chobe, Botswana
Sun 30 --- Kazungula Residence - Chobe, Botswana

Mon 31 --- Senyati Lodge - Lesoma Valley, Botswana
Tue 1 ----- Nxai Pan Camp - Kalahari, Botswana
Wed 2 ---- Nxai Pan Camp - Kalahari, Botswana
Thurs 3 ---- Backpackers Lodge, MAUN

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been edited 3 months ago by DaviSto.
Aug 22, 2017 16:05 |  #27

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18434114 (external link)
No hotels. We had three very nice nights in lodges, and two nights in a rented house. Two of those lodge days were at the start and end of the trip, about 20 minutes from Maun airfield.

Days in places with power in red

Fri 20 ------ Backpackers Lodge, MAUN
Sat 22 ----- Xakanaxa - Moremi, Okavango Delta, Botswana
Sun 23 ---- Xakanaxa - Moremi, Okavango Delta, Botswana
Mon 24---- Khwai - Khwai River, Okavango Delta, Botswana
Tue 25 ---- Khwai - Khwai River, Okavango Delta, Botswana
Wed 26 --- Savuti - Linyanti, Botswana
Thur 27 --- Muchenje - Chobe, Botswana
Fri 28 ----- Muchenje - Chobe, Botswana
Sat 29 ---- Kazungula Residence - Chobe, Botswana
Sun 30 --- Kazungula Residence - Chobe, Botswana

Mon 31 --- Senyati Lodge - Lesoma Valley, Botswana
Tue 1 ----- Nxai Pan Camp - Kalahari, Botswana
Wed 2 ---- Nxai Pan Camp - Kalahari, Botswana
Thurs 3 ---- Backpackers Lodge, MAUN

Whoah ... living the easy life. You've just got to love 24hr room service! Still, I bet most places you stayed, they could find you a cold beer if you really needed it. :-)

Africa!!!

i-G12
Wat?
1,368 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Seattle, WA
Sep 20, 2017 17:48 |  #28

Been reading about the LP-E6 and the LP-E6N...

Apparently the LP-E6N has a slightly better life.

But, will this charger Jake posted charge both types? I got the LP-E6N with my camera but the extra battery B & H sent with the camera is a Watson LP-E6. I haven't had any problems charging with the charger that came with the camera (80D) but just wanted to check on this issue.

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,797 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Sep 22, 2017 13:54 |  #29

Does the 5D4 come with the "N"?

If so then it's charged them and I have not seen any difference either way.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

sponsored links

6,645 views & 6 likes for this thread
The Chinese battery charger that saved our Trip to Africa!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.