Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 22 Sep 2017 (Friday) 08:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

trying to pick lenses

samirb17
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Sep 22, 2017 08:50 |  #1

I am debating between purchasing the Sigma 35mm Art f/1.4 and Sigma 50mm Art f/1.4. My camera is the Canon 6D. I already own the Sigma 24mm Art f/1.4 and I've been very happy with it; it's basically my go to lens these days.

With the 35mm I am hoping to achieve some of the classic focal shots, but at the same time I question the choice of having a 24mm and 35mm. I do realize there's a difference in the images, but I am thinking I'd have more use for a 50mm in my bag. Speaking bag, I generally use my 24mm and 100mm. I do own the 40mm f/2.8 STM, but I mainly use that on backpacking trips due to it's light weight. I also have a Canon 70-200 f/4 L, but I am looking to sell that as I've probably used it...twice in the 5 years I've owned it.

In my mind the 24mm would be for tight places and cities, where the 50mm would be for more personal shots, and times I want to isolate a subject. I'd imagine with the 50mm in my bag I'd travel with the 24, 50, and 100. I've been going back and forth between the 35 and 50 and am hoping you guys have some input.

Do any of own a 24mm and 50mm? If so, how do you use them (they seem they'd compliment each other really well).
Do you own a 24 and 35? If so, what's the usage like on the pair?
Do you own all three? How's the threesome work?

For reference of my photos here's a link to my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/samir_b (external link)

Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM | Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art |

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 22, 2017 09:01 |  #2

Heya,

I find most people who shoot wide, either like 24mm for the wider FOV and crop as needed, or like 35mm for the slightly narrower FOV. That's personal to you. Don't hope for a classic FOV shot, you can already do it with the 24mm. You crop it to the same FOV and it's literally the same, minus a few pixels, that you'd never know where not there anymore (you don't print billboards after all). So these two focal lengths might fight each other for attention. You already have the 24mm. Maybe consider a different 35mm with stabilization or something so that it's truly a different lens and not just a minor difference in FOV? That said, why do you shy away from the 40 STM? The FOV of the 40 is very similar, very, to 35mm. So you already know the classic FOV of 35m pretty much. If it didn't really inspire you, then you already know the answer there. 50mm makes sense, if you want a little more of a natural FOV (for some) compared to 100mm. A lot of people struggle between 35mm and 50mm as their natural FOV choice. Since you're already wide at 24mm and have a 40mm, maybe the 50mm makes a lot of sense to try out. Or maybe it's time to just get a 24-70 F2.8?

Just browsing your Flickr, the places, all to me scream for wide angle. I'd stay on that 24mm. Get close. Connect.

Again you can always gently crop down your shots to be the same as a 35mm without a ton of loss.

Unless you're stuck on shooting F1.4, maybe this is a good opportunity to explore a high quality 24-70 zoom so that you have all those focal lengths in a convenient walk around package.

Personally I'm a 35mm type person. But I'm always wanting wider and often shoot ultrawide (17mm) on full frame. But I'm going to wait until I see a really good 24mm with stabilization. For now, for me, I prefer the 35 F2 IS because I'll take stabilization any day over 1 more stop of aperture at wide angle. And personally I don't care for 50mm at all. Instead, I go straight to 85mm as my next FOV point. So I guess that makes me more of the 35/85 camp. It's all up to how you like to see things.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

samirb17
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Sep 22, 2017 21:45 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #3

Thanks for the detailed response! I will say I am leaning towards the 50mm, mainly due to the similarity of frame in the 24mm and 35mm. There's slightly more distortion in the 24mm compared to 35mm, but I don't think it's noticeable. I am still browsing and looking at images done wit the 50mm. I figured I'd post here and see if people own the 24 and 50 and if they do what their uses are.

Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM | Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art |

553 views & 0 likes for this thread
trying to pick lenses
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.