Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 17 Aug 2017 (Thursday) 13:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How to repair top of tripod center column?

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been edited 2 months ago by kaitlyn2004.
Aug 17, 2017 13:44 |  #1

I have the longer version of this center column for my Feisol 3441T:
http://www.feisol.com/​picture/CC2807S.jpg (external link)

The bottom piece, along with that hook, unscrew from the column. The top is fixed. On my last trip, it broke off due to falling over in the wind when I wasn't around. I think combined with my ballhead hitting the ground, it put a lot of pressure and broke it off. It seemed to be attached by some kind of metal. As something to make it still usable, I bought some superglue and reattached it. It seems okay.

This part doesn't seem to be something you can buy on its own and if possible I'd rather avoid shipping it back for replacement/repair just due to cost associated with that.

Is there anything I can do to secure it more? Put a lot more glue around it? I just worry because I want to have full confidence in it, and combined with a ballhead+camera on top of it, I worry about the single point of failure. Would the glue damage the carbon fibre ("melt" it?)

Edit: I should mention - one of my biggest worries is having the column down (most of the time) and hanging my backpack from the weight hook. I'd hate for it to somehow apply enough downward/upward pressure to just pop that top piece off, which means everything risks falling.

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
eddieb1
673 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Aug 17, 2017 15:28 |  #2

I wouldn't trust my camera to a center column that's super glued together. Just by a new center column and be certain. They aren't that expensive. You can buy it from the manufacturer.

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Aug 17, 2017 15:37 as a reply to eddieb1's post |  #3

It seems for the 3441T the center column isn't available as a standalone purchase?

They had said to me:

I guarantee you that if we re-glue a spot, it will be stronger than straight out of production ... much like a bone almost never breaking twice in the same spot.

eddieb1
673 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Aug 17, 2017 15:42 as a reply to kaitlyn2004's post |  #4

That response from the maker kinda scares me!

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,966 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Aug 17, 2017 15:47 |  #5

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18430128 (external link)
I have the longer version of this center column for my Feisol 3441T:
http://www.feisol.com/​picture/CC2807S.jpg (external link)

The bottom piece, along with that hook, unscrew from the column. The top is fixed. On my last trip, it broke off due to falling over in the wind when I wasn't around. I think combined with my ballhead hitting the ground, it put a lot of pressure and broke it off. It seemed to be attached by some kind of metal. As something to make it still usable, I bought some superglue and reattached it. It seems okay.

This part doesn't seem to be something you can buy on its own
and if possible I'd rather avoid shipping it back for replacement/repair just due to cost associated with that.

Is there anything I can do to secure it more? Put a lot more glue around it? I just worry because I want to have full confidence in it, and combined with a ballhead+camera on top of it, I worry about the single point of failure. Would the glue damage the carbon fibre ("melt" it?)

Edit: I should mention - one of my biggest worries is having the column down (most of the time) and hanging my backpack from the weight hook. I'd hate for it to somehow apply enough downward/upward pressure to just pop that top piece off, which means everything risks falling.

Well Feisol Europe sell it. http://www.feisoleurop​e.com ...t-center-column-p-43.html (external link)

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Aug 17, 2017 15:48 |  #6

john crossley wrote in post #18430229 (external link)
Well Feisol Europe sell it. http://www.feisoleurop​e.com ...t-center-column-p-43.html (external link)

Looking for the original, longer center column

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,353 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Aug 17, 2017 16:01 |  #7

eddieb1 wrote in post #18430218 (external link)
That response from the maker kinda scares me!

It is entirely possible to be able to reliably make that statement. As a manufacturer they know they are working with carbon fiber and can properly select an adhesive based on that need. Cars are being built today where large carbon fiber panels are held in place by adhesives, usually made by Permabond.

Having said that, I see by a thread at https://www.geekzone.c​o.nz ...forumid=77&topicid=​183737 (external link) that an individual mentions a 3-year warranty in New Zealand. Is that a possible approach since I see you got the tripod in May 2015 and your profile shows New Zealand? If you have to do the repair yourself "super glue" is a type of cyanoacrylate adhesive, most of which turn brittle over time and then will fail. There are several in the marketplace that do not turn brittle, one being Gorilla Glue's Reinforced CA that is available in the States. They are not the best adhesive for carbon fiber but are adequate.

See if you can find a large "hobby" shop that deals in radio controlled cars, airplanes, and drones. Usually they have an abundance of good adhesives for carbon fiber. I would wait until such time as the current repair job seems to be failing (check frequently) rather than attempt to pull the column apart and create further damage.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,596 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 17, 2017 16:04 |  #8

I believe the center column in this kit is the same,. but I could be wrong :)

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...Column_CT_3442_CCKi​t.html (external link)

I'm a lot less familiar with Feisol parts, but with Gitzo and Induro, as long as the series is the same, the diameters and thus the parts are interchangeable.
(eg: I can take the center column from a series 3 Induro travel tripod and use it in a series 3 Gitzo systematic rapid collar plate.)

I am interpretation the Feisol naming system to mean that all of these parts are series 3,.

Of course in Canada, I try to find a Canadian store with a good return policy before trying.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Aug 17, 2017 16:10 |  #9

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18430245 (external link)
I believe the center column in this kit is the same,. but I could be wrong :)

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...Column_CT_3442_CCKi​t.html (external link)

I'm a lot less familiar with Feisol parts, but with Gitzo and Induro, as long as the series is the same, the diameters and thus the parts are interchangeable.
(eg: I can take the center column from a series 3 Induro travel tripod and use it in a series 3 Gitzo systematic rapid collar plate.)

I am interpretation the Feisol naming system to mean that all of these parts are series 3,.

Of course in Canada, I try to find a Canadian store with a good return policy before trying.

Nah, that's a different column. At least for the 3441T the center column is just a standard pole with 2 end caps...

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,681 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Post has been edited 1 month ago by johnf3f.
Aug 17, 2017 17:33 |  #10

Choose a suitable spot on the center column (close - but not too close to the break) where the carbon is undamaged. Score a marker line around the tubing making sure that is is square - a cheap Pipe Cutter does this nicely. The cut the tubing using the line as a guide - a simple hacksaw does a neat job. Tidy up with a file/sandpaper. Then remove the end piece from the off cut and clean it up. Make sure everything is grease/oil free and mix up some slow setting Epoxy Resin - I like Devcon as it flows a little batter than Araldite for jobs like this, though any decent Epoxy will do.

Apply the Epoxy thickly to the inside of the tubing and a bit thinner to the contact surface of the end piece. Make sure that you don't use so much that it will affect mounting studs/hooks etc. Then fit the end piece in the tubing and wrap a layer of insulating tape around it. Place the center column on end so that the glue flows towards the end that you are repairing. Double check that everything is square and leave it for 24 hours. Net result is as good as if not better than new.

I had a similar problem with a Gitzo 3 series center column which had been damaged just below the head mounting plate. I cut about n inch off the column and did the above. Took about 30 minutes + setting time and has been fine for the last 8 years or so. As for trusting it with a heavy lens? Well it's fine with the 800 F5.6 - currently Canon's heaviest lens and was fine with my earlier (and heavier) 600 F4 L IS Mk1.

Hope the above instructions make sense! If you lived in the UK I would just say post it and I will sort it.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,596 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by CyberDyneSystems. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 17, 2017 17:56 |  #11

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18430256 (external link)
Nah, that's a different column. At least for the 3441T the center column is just a standard pole with 2 end caps...

Yes, the 3442 has a removable top plate, so to add a center column, one must also add the collar. There is no collar on the stock plate. Just a flat plate to mount a head.

I linked to the 3442 "kit" as I believe the center column in that kit is the same.
You would remove it from the collar and insert it into the built in collar on your 3441.

The only Feisol part I have is this;
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...t_horizontal_adapte​r.html (external link)

...and despite all the other parts, the carbon column happens to be a 2 series center column. It will fit in pretty much any 2 series application, and can be removed from the rest of the assembly by unscrewing the bottom hook cap.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,596 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Aug 17, 2017 17:59 |  #12

johnf3f wrote in post #18430334 (external link)
Choose a suitable spot on the center column (close - but not too close to the break) where the carbon is undamaged. Score a marker line around the tubing making sure that is is square - a cheap Pipe Cutter does this nicely. The cut the tubing using the line as a guide - a simple hacksaw does a neat job. Tidy up with a file/sandpaper. Then remove the end piece from the off cut and clean it up. Make sure everything is grease/oil free and mix up some slow setting Epoxy Resin - I like Devcon as it flows a little batter than Araldite for jobs like this, though any decent Epoxy will do.

Apply the Epoxy thickly to the inside of the tubing and a bit thinner to the contact surface of the end piece. Make sure that you don't use so much that it will affect mounting studs/hooks etc. Then fit the end piece in the tubing and wrap a layer of insulating tape around it. Place the center column on end so that the glue flows towards the end that you are repairing. Double check that everything is square and leave it for 24 hours. Net result is as good as if not better than new......

Awesome John. This is a great way to go.

My suggestion was the opposite of do it yourself, it's the "throw money at the problem" way.
Yours is a better way to go for anyone willing to roll up their sleeves.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,681 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Aug 17, 2017 18:11 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #13

Being a Gitzo, even an old one, the part is easily available - but pricey, more than I paid for the tripod!

The only hard bit was getting the cut end of the tubing square - I do not saw in straight lines!

I don't know about the US but a friend of mine found Feisol over here very helpful with queries and advice, perhaps an E Mail from the OP?

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,966 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Aug 18, 2017 02:17 |  #14

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18430231 (external link)
Looking for the original, longer center column

Perhaps if you had posted a picture of the center column that you DO want instead of a picture of the center column that you DON'T want it would make life easier.

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

alright12
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Sep 23, 2017 21:54 |  #15

Too bad to hear that it is not available as a standalone purchase. Would this metal machining services (external link) be of help?
This type of work isn't listed in their mechanical components category, but I think they can make something like that for you.

sponsored links

716 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to repair top of tripod center column?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.