Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 24 Sep 2017 (Sunday) 00:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

MicroAdjustment if you need it?

russellsnr2
Joined Mar 2005
Greek Island of Rhodes.. Ex. Sussex @ Cumbria
Sep 24, 2017 00:59 |  #1

https://learn.usa.cano​n.com ...roAdjustGuide_deskt​op.pdf (external link)

Russ

Many Thanks,
Russell.

sponsored links
PCousins
Joined Nov 2014
Weston-Super-Mare (UK)
Sep 24, 2017 01:07 |  #2

Good Reading, thank you.

Gear List

greyswan
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Ontario Canada
Sep 24, 2017 03:37 |  #3

^^ ditto, thank you.

Chris
A clean house is a sign that my computer's broken...
gallery:https://ephemerastudio​.smugmug.com/ (external link)
Gear: 50D, 300 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 100 1.28 Macro, nifty fifty.

James ­ Crockett
143 posts
Joined May 2017
Sep 24, 2017 08:12 |  #4

Thanks OP!

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,477 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Sep 27, 2017 12:19 |  #5

I have this one as well. This procedure says to do it at 50X of the focal length. Our manuals say for best results to do it at the shooting location.

This procedure says

• Shoot test pictures using the lens(es) you normally use, and at the distances you typically use them. In other words, if you're seeing a consistent focus shift when you shoot group pictures at weddings, don't take test shots of a ruler on your desk with a macro lens.

http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com ...oadjustment_article​.shtml (external link)

Just thought I'd throw this in because often 50X is impractical for longer lenses.

This is also helpful and it does make a difference.

http://arihazeghiphoto​graphy.com ...ment-is-it-always-needed/ (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Post has been edited 3 months ago by ejenner.
Sep 28, 2017 23:54 |  #6

Yes, I must admit I check focus as I shoot and have enough experience to adjust depending on the circumstances and sometimes subject. For initially testing a lens I can tell very quickly and dial something in without a test setup. If you can't get something consistent shooting, then you've probably got other issues.

Second article very good. I should have read that after getting my first long lens. I never realized how bad atmospheric distortions can be.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Sep 29, 2017 09:16 |  #7

ejenner wrote in post #18462552 (external link)
Yes, I must admit I check focus as I shoot and have enough experience to adjust depending on the circumstances and sometimes subject. For initially testing a lens I can tell very quickly and dial something in without a test setup. If you can't get something consistent shooting, then you've probably got other issues.

Second article very good. I should have read that after getting my first long lens. I never realized how bad atmospheric distortions can be.

Having been a competitive rifle shooter, usually shooting at longer ranges, I have been fighting with those atmospheric distortions for over 30 years. One really unfortunate problem is that as you improve the quality of the lens the specific distortions caused by the atmosphere actually become more noticeable. So where a cheap lens will just seem to be a little low in contrast etc, the really good quality, expensive, lens will show you what type of distortion you are looking at, in temperatures where you would doubt they could even exist. These effects are also much more pronounced over water, or even wet grasslands. The added water vapour makes the change in refractive index with temperature much larger.

On the bright side, for bird photographers at least, they will be much more evident closer to the ground, and usually once the wind speed gets to about 12 mph they simply can't form. The biggest problem with these effects for a rifle shooter is that they move the location of the image of the target in the same direction as the wind. Often when shooting a smallbore match it will move the image of the target downwind by about as much as the wind will physically move the bullet. This means that you actually have to use twice the correction in order to hit the center of the target. At least as a photographer you don't need to worry about the image not being where you think it is.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,501 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Sep 29, 2017 09:34 |  #8

digital paradise wrote in post #18461512 (external link)

• Shoot test pictures using the lens(es) you normally use, and at the distances you typically use them. ......

Just thought I'd throw this in because often 50X is impractical for longer lenses.

But then again, longer lenses are typically used at more than 50x fl.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,477 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Sep 29, 2017 10:24 |  #9

gjl711 wrote in post #18462728 (external link)
But then again, longer lenses are typically used at more than 50x fl.

This is true however it is still inconvenient. At 560mm I would need 92 feet. I have no facility where I could do this and outdoors is not practical - for me anyway. I'd need roller skates to go back and forth. I'm not 59 anymore :-)

I had a hard time with this for many years. 35 years in print media. If we did not set a gap in the folding component properly it shut a 10 million machine down. The gap had to be 0.0035 = 35 thousands of an inch. I'd question all these different procedures and methods out there. This is precision stuff and even Canon has two different explanations.

Since I adopted FoCal I decided to follow their suggestion. Page 2 describes when a lens settles down. Me thinks 50X is possibly suggested by Canon cover themselves as if not done properly can make it worse. The manual even says not normally needed and can cause AF issues.

http://s449182328.webs​itehome.co.uk ...20Test%20Distance_1​.1.pdf (external link)

The Distance tool.

http://support.fo-cal.co.uk ...tion-target-distance-tool (external link)

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,477 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Sep 29, 2017 10:31 |  #10

Forgot to say. Romy Ocon who is member here and at FM who's site name is Liquidstone is a well known and respected birder. He was my BIF mentor except he did not know it ;-)a

He does MFA at MFD. You can't argue with success. At one time someone here mentioned a company in Europe that did MFA with the long primes at around 21 ft. I never did get a follow when I asked more about it.

Image Editing OK

coopernut
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Sep 30, 2017 23:46 |  #11

digital paradise wrote in post #18462748 (external link)
The gap had to be 0.0035 = 35 thousands of an inch.

Did you use one to many zeros after the decimal point or did you mean 35 Ten Thousandths? No offense. Just curious mind you.

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,477 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by digital paradise. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 30, 2017 23:51 |  #12

coopernut wrote in post #18463740 (external link)
Did you use one to many zeros after the decimal point or did you mean 35 Ten Thousandths? No offense. Just curious mind you.

It might be 0.035

I looked it up but I may have misread it. Actually now that I look at it typed that is what it said on the gauge. It has been 10 years. Thanks for pointing it out. No offence taken. :-)

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

8,023 views & 3 likes for this thread
MicroAdjustment if you need it?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.