Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 15 Sep 2017 (Friday) 11:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Rangefinder digitals, options?

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Sep 23, 2017 21:43 |  #121

MalVeauX wrote in post #18458926 (external link)
Welp, I listed some things to sell. Time to raise some funds.

My 1Ds II, EOS-M kit and some flash kit are all on the books to go bye bye. With funds raised, I'll likely move to a 1D3 (I recently went birding and it's actually weird, but I prefer a crop for birding, so will sell one of my full frames) and a Fuji X100S, with a bit out of pocket to go that way.

Looking back over everything, I have gone over the Sony options, Fuji and a few M43 options again. Deep down I'd love to get a full on full frame Sony with eye/face detect. But, I recently found one piece of media that finally swayed my choice on what I will try for a small large sensor compact. I looked at the size comparison of a Fuji X100 series to the EOS-M and it was like 10~15mm difference overall in HxL. It's still very small. The EOS-M is very small to me (for the sensor size). I'm already completely happy with a 35mm FOV, so it seems this is the right way to go for my check boxes. The size really got me though. I thought it would be big. But it's quite small. Especially in the context of my 5D or 1Ds series bodies which are much bigger and far far heavier.

So the shopping begins. I'm thinking an X100S will do the job.

Thanks to everyone for the opinions and ideas.

I'll report back when I have something in my hands.

Very best,

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

sponsored links
welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Sep 24, 2017 02:22 |  #122

Good choice.....

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Sep 24, 2017 09:20 |  #123

My 1Ds II, EOS-M kit and some flash kit are all on the books to go bye bye. With funds raised, I'll likely move to a 1D3 (I recently went birding and it's actually weird, but I prefer a crop for birding, so will sell one of my full frames) and a Fuji X100S, with a bit out of pocket to go that way.

Looking back over everything, I have gone over the Sony options, Fuji and a few M43 options again. Deep down I'd love to get a full on full frame Sony with eye/face detect. But, I recently found one piece of media that finally swayed my choice on what I will try for a small large sensor compact. I looked at the size comparison of a Fuji X100 series to the EOS-M and it was like 10~15mm difference overall in HxL. It's still very small. The EOS-M is very small to me (for the sensor size). I'm already completely happy with a 35mm FOV, so it seems this is the right way to go for my check boxes. The size really got me though. I thought it would be big. But it's quite small. Especially in the context of my 5D or 1Ds series bodies which are much bigger and far far heavier.

Very best,

I do have a strange feeling you are eventually going to wind up with a Leica M.

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 24, 2017 09:26 |  #124

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18459284 (external link)
I do have a strange feeling you are eventually going to wind up with a Leica M.

Maybe in 12~15 years. :)

My current cameras are that old. I rarely buy anything newer than 6~8 years. I've yet to spend more than $600ish on a body even. So I don't see a used Leica M at $4k or new at $6k any time soon. Too many other things that I also spend money on as this is not the source of my income and I'm not dedicated to genres of photography where rangefinders are suited best. My main squeeze for my budget is astrophotography. Terrestrial photography can be done on far lesser equipment and inexpensively, so that's what I do there.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,825 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Sep 24, 2017 09:34 |  #125

Very best,

good luck feeding the beast ;-)a

I've been looking for the perfect 35 for a while (however content with my 50 and 85, 2/3 is not bad!), and truly convinced I need a 35 f1.4-f2 with AF/eye detect/IS/IBIS. My compromise has been the 35 1.7 ultron, absolutely stunning IQ (super sharp WO, creamy buttery bokeh), but with the quirks of an adapted system.

finding the perfect 35 camera combo has been a pain for me, I settled for 35 f2.8 for nearly two years as I WILL NOT buy a gigantic 35 f1.4 lens.

rx1 cameras, fixed 35mm f2 zeiss, I'de rather have ILC, I dont like the idea of being boxed in, and it's quite expensive.

leica lenses, same predicament I'm in right now, but 5 times the cost  :p

fuji may work very well for you, since you like using strobes much more than I do, it has a really high sync speed from what I recall. Also, the godox TT350..... amazing flash, tiny package. TTL, can do bounce, very small, can act as a master controller

Sony A7rii x2 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,825 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Sep 24, 2017 09:37 |  #126

MalVeauX wrote in post #18459287 (external link)

My current cameras are that old. I rarely buy anything newer than 6~8 years. I've yet to spend more than $600ish on a body even. So I don't see a used Leica M at $4k or new at $6k any time soon. Too many other things that I also spend money on as this is not the source of my income and I'm not dedicated to genres of photography where rangefinders are suited best. My main squeeze for my budget is astrophotography. Terrestrial photography can be done on far lesser equipment and inexpensively, so that's what I do there.

Very best,

M9's often show up for ~2500 on the bay :-)

lenses may cost as much for leica or much less from third party.

Sony A7rii x2 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Sep 24, 2017 09:51 |  #127

MalVeauX wrote in post #18459287 (external link)

Very best,

Yes rangefinders are really not well suited for astro. Where they shine is fast passed candid work. I doubt you will ever find a digital Leica M body that is usable for $600. The good thing about Leica glass is yes it is pricey but you probably depending on the lens wont loose a lot of money if you ever need to sell it.

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 24, 2017 10:11 |  #128

Ebay & FM are pretty dried up for X100S's right now. And last week KEH had several, but are now completely sold out (that discount they had last week musta inspired a few people to clean them out).

In the mean time, I'm using my 5Dc + 35 F2 IS. I'd use this combination all the time as I love it. It's just also very big and heavy. That's what's inspiring me to consider a compact like the Fuji in the first place (along with replacing the EOSM of course as it's not fulfilling this role the way I want it to).

If anyone see's a good X100S for sale and feel like sharing, by all means, point me that way!

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Sep 24, 2017 10:26 |  #129

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18459302 (external link)
Yes rangefinders are really not well suited for astro. Where they shine is fast passed candid work. I doubt you will ever find a digital Leica M body that is usable for $600. The good thing about Leica glass is yes it is pricey but you probably depending on the lens wont loose a lot of money if you ever need to sell it.

Yes, but you can pretty much say that about any lenses, especially if you're buying used. I think I've only lost money on one lens. My FE 28/2 I bought new for $450 and sold a year later for $375... not much of a loss in my book.

MalVeauX wrote in post #18459310 (external link)
Ebay & FM are pretty dried up for X100S's right now. And last week KEH had several, but are now completely sold out (that discount they had last week musta inspired a few people to clean them out).

In the mean time, I'm using my 5Dc + 35 F2 IS. I'd use this combination all the time as I love it. It's just also very big and heavy. That's what's inspiring me to consider a compact like the Fuji in the first place (along with replacing the EOSM of course as it's not fulfilling this role the way I want it to).

If anyone see's a good X100S for sale and feel like sharing, by all means, point me that way!

Very best,

I've been thinking about selling my X100T to fund an X100F. Shoot me an offer ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 24, 2017 10:28 |  #130

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18459325 (external link)
I've been thinking about selling my X100T to fund an X100F. Shoot me an offer ;)

Unfortunately too rich for my blood! Trying to keep it around $500 or less, which is why the X100S is the target.

Very best,

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by airfrogusmc. 4 edits done in total.
Sep 24, 2017 10:39 |  #131

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18459325 (external link)
Yes, but you can pretty much say that about any lenses, especially if you're buying used. I think I've only lost money on one lens. My FE 28/2 I bought new for $450 and sold a year later for $375... not much of a loss in my book.

Nope ya can't say that about almost any lens. A year? Yeah there shouldn't be that kind of drop yet. But use the same % if it were a $4500 lens and you only able to get $3750 maybe not so good huh? S you except a 21% drop in a year? Wait 10 years and see. The only lens that I didn't get about half what I paid for when I sold my Canon gear was the 200 2L. I got about what i paid for it after 8 years. My 35L, 85L and 24L and dropped to about half of what i paid. That was the going rate when I sold them. Some Leica lenses actually go up quite a bit depending on the model Have you priced the rare 35 1.4 summilux double aspherical lately? If they are in good shape they are fetching around 13K. Were selling years ago for less than 4K. The 50 1.0 Noctilux is another example of going up and they are many more. Rumors have it Leica will be releasing a 35mm .95 noctilux and a new 50mm .95 noctilux sometime in the next year or so and well as an M 10 MM.
I could also probably sell my 5 year old 35 Summilux FLE for about what i paid for it if I desired to do so though I doubt that lens will ever go and long as I am still making photographs.

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Two Hot Shoes. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 24, 2017 12:41 as a reply to airfrogusmc's post |  #132

I'm sure some of the lenses will hold their value particularly if they are rare but really Leica, like any other brand, is prone to second hand deflation. Also the consideration of opportunity cost when investing capital at such a heavy rate is a big one for most people who might require some of the capital to fund other areas of business and/or life. Now if that's not a consideration or if it is and makes sense then fine. But it's not for most.

One search on eBay - first result - wielded this & I'd consider that $2000 is a big dip in value, bigger than most of the lenses I own right now. I can mearly lust after Leica ownership, I could go out and buy a M camera and a few lenses but then I'd be stuck not upgrading our, quite old and over due, cars and doing the renovation on the new house as well as finishing off my studio & office etc... Choices suck at times.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Sep 24, 2017 14:06 |  #133

24mm is one of those odd F/Ls that most Leica shooters have never embraced. To wide for the OVF.

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Sep 24, 2017 14:16 as a reply to airfrogusmc's post |  #134

Ok how about the classic 35mm SUMMILUX? Another $2k drop.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been edited 2 months ago by airfrogusmc.
Sep 24, 2017 14:48 |  #135

Thats the one with focus shift right? Not the FLE. And IIRC that 35 didn't sell for 4800. Thats the price of the newer FLE.

sponsored links

6,214 views & 98 likes for this thread
Rangefinder digitals, options?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.