Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 17 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 10:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!

graham121
Joined Feb 2013
Pakenham, VIC, Aus
Post has been edited 2 months ago by graham121.
Sep 24, 2017 01:47 |  #6736

bidkev wrote in post #18459105 (external link)
Exactly what I've been doing mate. I have it in manual but at a high shutter speed and small aperture eg. f11 and 2000sec all I get is a dark screen. I'll reset to factory settings and try again and if I get no joy, I'll take it back

Hi Kev,

I dont know too much about the ins and outs of HSS, but I do believe that output is reduced the further you go away from the normal sync speed...and 1/2000 is a fair way away from 1/180.

So I am thinking that at 1/2000 sec there is not much light coming out and with F11 there is just not enough light getting onto the sensor if you are trying those settings in a dark space light the rain forest.

I am thinking - and happy to be corrected - maybe 1/2000 and F11 would be better to freeze something close by in bright sunlight

Maybe that is the issue?

A coupla bodies and a few lenses

sponsored links
bidkev
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2013
From Blackpool UK to Brisbane Australia 20 yrs ago
Post has been edited 2 months ago by bidkev.
Sep 24, 2017 02:54 |  #6737

graham121 wrote in post #18459115 (external link)
Hi Kev,

I dont know too much about the ins and outs of HSS, but I do believe that output is reduced the further you go away from the normal sync speed...and 1/2000 is a fair way away from 1/180.

So I am thinking that at 1/2000 sec there is not much light coming out and with F11 there is just not enough light getting onto the sensor if you are trying those settings in a dark space light the rain forest.

I am thinking - and happy to be corrected - maybe 1/2000 and F11 would be better to freeze something close by in bright sunlight

Maybe that is the issue?

Dunno Graham? It's a powerful flash and the subjects are never more than 5 metres away (you're on top of 'em before you see 'em in the rain forest). I tried it at 1/000 and got the same result. Any slower and there's a chance of ghosting. I notice that Denis's shots were 500 and 640 and they look ok so I'll give that a go

See my fish and fishy photography tips here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Canon 7D mk2 | Canon 6D, 100-400L mk2, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100 Macro | 24 EF-S 2.8 STM |Canon 1.4 Ex Mklll | Canon 580EXll| Kenko 12,20,36 Ext tubes |

nardes
Joined Jun 2009
Australia
Post has been edited 2 months ago by nardes.
Sep 24, 2017 03:47 |  #6738

bidkev wrote in post #18459143 (external link)
Dunno Graham? It's a powerful flash and the subjects are never more than 5 metres away (you're on top of 'em before you see 'em in the rain forest). I tried it at 1/000 and got the same result. Any slower and there's a chance of ghosting. I notice that Denis's shots were 500 and 640 and they look ok so I'll give that a go

Hi Kev

That sounds very frustrating.

I just put a 430 EX RT (ETTL II Mode) on the 5D Mk III and noticed the following:

5D Viewfinder: displays the HSS Symbol.
430 EX RT LCD Panel: displays the HSS Symbol.

Do you also get these on the 6D and 580EX?

The 5D Mk III manual has some info when in AV Mode that limits HSS, but you wrote that you were in Manual Mode (i.e. Manual Exposure on the Camera Main Dial – not Manual Flash setting on the Speedlite) so that should not be an issue?

Cheers

Dennis

PS - Just added a screen capture from DPP4 showing my settings so you can compare yours.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

bidkev
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2013
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by bidkev. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 24, 2017 10:01 |  #6739

nardes wrote in post #18459163 (external link)
Hi Kev

That sounds very frustrating.

I just put a 430 EX RT (ETTL II Mode) on the 5D Mk III and noticed the following:

5D Viewfinder: displays the HSS Symbol.
430 EX RT LCD Panel: displays the HSS Symbol.

Do you also get these on the 6D and 580EX?

The 5D Mk III manual has some info when in AV Mode that limits HSS, but you wrote that you were in Manual Mode (i.e. Manual Exposure on the Camera Main Dial – not Manual Flash setting on the Speedlite) so that should not be an issue?

Cheers

Dennis

PS - Just added a screen capture from DPP4 showing my settings so you can compare yours.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by nardes in
./showthread.php?p=184​59163&i=i156880847
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by nardes in
./showthread.php?p=184​59163&i=i187115898
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

No Dennis. There's very little about HSS on the 6D via google. One article said that if you set HSS on the flash, and also set it on the 6d, then you should get the same symbol through the viewfinder as you do on the flash ie a flash symbol with a H beside it. All i get is the flash symbol.

I'm not a great lover of, and have little knowledge of, (on camera) flash, despite doing a lot of studio work in the past and having my own studio..............on camera never "sailed my boat" and I neglected to learn the new technology, despite having the 580. My simple understanding was, of the new generation of speedlights, (my words) that the flash was as clever as the camera and all you needed to do for a "standard" exposure, one that wasn't a "fill light" or "exposure compensation" etc., was to simply set your camera settings and the flash would read the camera settings, fire, and cut out when it judged the correct exposure for your shutter speed and aperture set. ( my simplification).......​........I know...............I'm a dinosaur..............​.carried the same "brick" mobile phone for 14 yrs and my boys only recently bought me a Samsung, simply because I couldn't find a battery for the Nokia brick and they didn't like the idea of me being out in the mountains alone..............."y​ou need a GPS" they said............."you can send selfies to show you're alright", they said...............the​y didn't show me how though...............j​ust as Canon hasn't shown me how HSS synch works on my camera :lol: The 6D manual simply tells you how to set it on your flash

Despite the above showing my lack of skills/knowledge with a speedlight, I never had a problem, based on my understanding and settings of said speedlight and camera (5Dlll). I simply set my speedlight to HSS, camera to manual with HSS enabled, and no problem. It's only the 6D I'm having a problem with. I've used the same procedure with the 7Dmkll without a problem. Set the 6D to "auto" and I would assume it would read the camera shutter speed with HSS enabled, but no go. If not, then what the feck does it mean by "auto"? It still shows 1/180sec in the viewfinder.

Raised the same issue on the 6D thread and not one reply so I'm guessing that the contributors either don't use HSS and can't answer me, or else they just think that I'm a dickhead:lol:

Thanks for taking the time to try and sort me Dennis.

See my fish and fishy photography tips here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Canon 7D mk2 | Canon 6D, 100-400L mk2, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100 Macro | 24 EF-S 2.8 STM |Canon 1.4 Ex Mklll | Canon 580EXll| Kenko 12,20,36 Ext tubes |

bidkev
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2013
Sep 24, 2017 17:53 |  #6740

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4372/36439701154_25165e2630_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Xw3Z​By] (external link)Eatern Spinebill (8) (external link) by Kevin Dickinson (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4440/36439721674_c4a5637ac8_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Xw46​Hm] (external link)Eatern Spinebill (7) (external link) by Kevin Dickinson (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4433/36462679763_69fcd218d2_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Xy5L​mt] (external link)Eatern Spinebill (6) (external link) by Kevin Dickinson (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4420/36462771163_c7d81c692c_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Xy6e​wk] (external link)Eatern Spinebill (2) (external link) by Kevin Dickinson (external link), on Flickr

markesc
Joined Feb 2014
Sep 24, 2017 20:39 |  #6741

Getting a lot of vibration, tried re-tightening everything...any tips?

Wind @ 400mm = it just moves around. I have an OLD Arca swiss monoball and gitzo, plus I used my backpack to weigh everything down, so it cannot be the tripod.

I'm thinking gimbal mount from Wimberley is next:

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Sep 24, 2017 21:16 as a reply to markesc's post |  #6742

It's possible your head and/or legs aren't rated for the focal length being used. I have a RRS BH40 and Gitzo 2 series fiber legs and they're fine at 200mm but progressively worse as the focal length increases. Every little bit of movement is magnified on longer lenses.

Armidillo
Joined Jun 2014
NSW, Australia
Sep 24, 2017 22:54 as a reply to bidkev's post |  #6743

Hi Kevin

I have recently acquired my first 'Speedlight' - a new Yongnuo YN685. I also have a 6D, and HSS works for me.

My 6D has latest firmware. I have the H with flash symbol displayed on the flash

On the camera, with M selected, I go to 2nd menu group/External Speedlight Control/Flash Function settings. This displays 6 settings boxes, corresponding with 6 different flash settings. Shutter synchronisation is bottom left. When I select it, the options are First curtain, 2nd curtain or HSS (the lightning bolt and H symbol).

I can now see the HSS symbol in the viewfinder, on the lower left between the battery and the shutter speed.

It works as expected, although I haven't tried it in a rainforest yet :).

No doubt this exactly what you've done, and problem may well be your flash, but I thought it worth spelling out the steps, in case anyone else reading this thread has the same problem.

Cheers

Alec

Canon EOS 6D, EOS 80D | Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD | Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM, EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC , 85mm f/1.4 AS UMC |

bidkev
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2013
Sep 24, 2017 23:51 |  #6744

Armidillo wrote in post #18459738 (external link)
Hi Kevin

I have recently acquired my first 'Speedlight' - a new Yongnuo YN685. I also have a 6D, and HSS works for me.

My 6D has latest firmware. I have the H with flash symbol displayed on the flash

On the camera, with M selected, I go to 2nd menu group/External Speedlight Control/Flash Function settings. This displays 6 settings boxes, corresponding with 6 different flash settings. Shutter synchronisation is bottom left. When I select it, the options are First curtain, 2nd curtain or HSS (the lightning bolt and H symbol).

I can now see the HSS symbol in the viewfinder, on the lower left between the battery and the shutter speed.

It works as expected, although I haven't tried it in a rainforest yet :).

No doubt this exactly what you've done, and problem may well be your flash, but I thought it worth spelling out the steps, in case anyone else reading this thread has the same problem.

Cheers

Alec

Thanks Alec. Tried those steps before and it didn't work but I've just run through 'em again after reading your advice and cleaning seating and flash terminals and it works. Either the terminals were dirty (doubtful on a new camera and a barely used flash, or more likely, the flash wasn't seated properly. I'm sorted! :-D:-D

MatthewK
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Sep 25, 2017 05:23 |  #6745

That background is Van Gogh-esque. Nice captures all around, Kevin!

flickrexternal link

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Sep 25, 2017 05:31 |  #6746

Magical work there Kev. Well done.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
Joined Jul 2005
Sydney, Australia
Sep 25, 2017 15:36 |  #6747

markesc wrote in post #18459658 (external link)
Getting a lot of vibration, tried re-tightening everything...any tips?

Wind @ 400mm = it just moves around. I have an OLD Arca swiss monoball and gitzo, plus I used my backpack to weigh everything down, so it cannot be the tripod.

I'm thinking gimbal mount from Wimberley is next:

Hard to beat a monoball for rigidity. A Wimberley will have more movement. Not much, but the monoball will have less. Weighing down the tripod does almost nothing for the twisting the wind causes. Hanging weight dampens vibration, not twisting force of the wind. Removing the hood will help.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1D4, 1DS2, 7D2. Canon, Sigma lenses

markesc
Joined Feb 2014
Sep 25, 2017 16:14 |  #6748

Choderboy wrote in post #18460292 (external link)
Hard to beat a monoball for rigidity. A Wimberley will have more movement. Not much, but the monoball will have less. Weighing down the tripod does almost nothing for the twisting the wind causes. Hanging weight dampens vibration, not twisting force of the wind. Removing the hood will help.

Ugh.... so I took the foot off again, tightened those 4 screws AGAIN, seems back to normal. I think I just need to bite the bullet and get the blu locktite.

As far as the wimberley, I'm hoping for more movement/flexibility as the monoball is hard to move once locked, then unlocked, it takes a lot of force, which is probably putting stress on the lens foot area and the lens mount area each time. Tried taking it apart and cleaning it, but didn't do much to help. I stupidly exposed it to salt water many years ago and it's never been the same!

bidkev
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2013
Sep 25, 2017 16:57 |  #6749

MatthewK wrote in post #18459843 (external link)
That background is Van Gogh-esque. Nice captures all around, Kevin!

Thanks Mathew. Yeah, sometimes that weird bokeh the lens sometimes throws out, works in your favour.

bidkev
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2013
Sep 25, 2017 17:01 |  #6750

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18459847 (external link)
Magical work there Kev. Well done.

Thanks mate. Hoping to get back up there once the school holidays are over. That's the only grevillea I saw up there and it attracted quite a few honey eaters

sponsored links

1,603,210 views & 15859 likes for this thread
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.