Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 25 Sep 2017 (Monday) 02:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Does Watson LPE6 battery nullify Canon 5d mk4 body warranty?

checkitout
41 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Sep 25, 2017 02:29 |  #1

I am about to purchase a new 5d mk4 body and I normally purchase from B & H. All my past older Canon bodies from this company all came with a Canon brand battery. Their current selections only come with a Watson brand battery. From other posts i have learned of the screen prompt on the 5d mk4 that asks if you have inserted a Canon brand battery. I have no problem purchasing a Canon battery, but should'nt this be standard with a new body? Am i relegated to simply not using the new Watson battery that seems to be the only brand that is shipped with this body, in order to retain the proper Canon warranty on the body? Thanks for any input from current 5d mk4 users that may have also questioned this before or during their purchase.

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,782 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 25, 2017 03:02 |  #2

If B&H sent me a NEW Canon camera with a Watson battery, I'd return it (the camera) for a refund. That would also be my last transaction with B&H. I find it extremely hard to believe that B&H is shipping new cameras with anything but OEM batteries.

You say you haven't made the purchase, yet. What makes you think B&H is shipping NEW cameras with after-market batteries?

Tom

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,427 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Sep 25, 2017 03:18 |  #3

I use 2 different aftermarket batteries in the 5d4 and it doesn't prompt me.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

checkitout
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Sep 25, 2017 03:23 |  #4

Every body or kit has a list of whats being shipped/purchased, and it states they are Watson brand batteries. I also checked Adorama and a few others and they also list a non Canon battery.

checkitout
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Sep 25, 2017 03:24 |  #5

Its good to know that the body may not prompt on other batteries.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,782 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Bassat. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 25, 2017 03:43 |  #6

checkitout wrote in post #18459811 (external link)
Every body or kit has a list of whats being shipped/purchased, and it states they are Watson brand batteries. I also checked Adorama and a few others and they also list a non Canon battery.

NEW bodies shipping with non-Canon batteries? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Please provide some.

EDIT:
I have discovered the error of my thinking. I was assuming you meant shipped with ONLY a Watson battery. My bad. The Watson is an aftermarket addition/enticement to get you to buy. I usually just buy bodies, and do that directly from Canon, and mostly refurbished. Most of the stuff in 'kits' like these is cheap crap. Without making a comment on Watson batteries, you can get spare batteries for $10-12.

BTW, Canon will sell you a 5D Mark IV for $2800. What is the enticement to go to B&H?
https://shop.usa.canon​.com ...-mark-iv-body-refurbished (external link)

Tom

checkitout
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Sep 25, 2017 03:57 |  #7

Thank you for the reply. No, you actually were not wrong. I had been looking at "what's in the box" and kept seeing only the Watson battery listed...but as you have said, it is something additional thrown in . After also viewing many you tubers opening their typical Canon silver and black boxes...i see that an OEM battery must come with the body. My apologies and thanks for the replies. Sincerely curt

checkitout
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Sep 25, 2017 04:00 |  #8

I have purchased most of my past gear from B and H, or from Calumet in Chicago as i used to live near one of their stores. I never thought of purchasing from another source as i have always been very satisfied with those two companies. But i will check into Canon...thank you!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,513 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by John from PA. 4 edits done in total.
Sep 25, 2017 05:56 |  #9

To the OP "checkitout" you need to check it out! But more carefully.

I think if you investigate carefully B&H is supplying you with an "extra" battery, which is the Watson. The link https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...os_5d_mark_iv.html?​sts=pi (external link) is for the 5DiV body only and yes it lists as "included free"

INCLUDES FREE TOTAL VALUE: $115.85
Watson LP-E6N Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.2V, 1900mAh)
Ruggard Journey 34 DSLR Shoulder Bag (Black)
SanDisk 64GB Extreme UHS-I SDXC Memory Card

But if you scroll down and watch the right side of the screen you will come to an area titled "In the box" which lists a battery described as "LP-E6N Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.2V, 1865mAh)." Click that and you will get the details which read

Power your EOS DSLR Camera with this LP-E6N Lithium-Ion Battery Pack from Canon.

I have checked some other model cameras and the "free" offering varies a bit but in many they seem to be throwing in the 2nd but non-Canon battery.

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,056 posts
Joined Apr 2011
New York
Post has been edited 2 months ago by iazybandit.
Oct 04, 2017 19:42 |  #10

I don't remember what is Canon's claim is on aftermarket but I know they say if you use counterfeit, it voids warranty. I've used aftermarket batteries and never had an issue with the camera. There is also no way for Canon to know if the battery is removed.

I believe Watson is B&H's own brand. Just like Adorama has Flashpoint.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Peak Design Capture Clip, Slide Sling, Slide Lite Strap | Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer

checkitout
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Oct 06, 2017 04:11 |  #11

Thank you for the additional info.

cristphoto
790 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Maryland
Dec 16, 2017 19:28 |  #12

I just got a new 5D4 from B&H this week and it came with the factory Canon battery. I know B&H sells camera kits that often include an extra Watson battery. I have been using a Watson battery in my 5D3 for a few years with no problems at all. It even registers properly with the cameras battery data function. Charges up properly too with the normal Canon charger. I haven't tried it yet in my new 5D4 yet but don't expect any problems.

5D MKIV, 5D MKIII, 1D MKIV, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

cristphoto
790 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Maryland
Dec 16, 2017 21:40 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #13

Lots of good reasons to get a new 5D4 from B&H. I bought one this week from B&H for $3199. It included a Rode pro microphone ($216) and the Canon battery grip ($309). The clincher was that I also got a $400 rebate coupon too. Thus $2800 net.

5D MKIV, 5D MKIII, 1D MKIV, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,513 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
11 hours ago |  #14

iazybandit wrote in post #18466138 (external link)
There is also no way for Canon to know if the battery is removed.

First off let me say I use 3rd party batteries (usually STK) and have no issues. But just because you remove the 3rd party battery is no guarantee that Canon doesn't have the ability to know one has been used. You saying they won't know, or me saying they will know, is at best speculation since we do not know the firmware coding in the camera. It probably would be possible for Canon to note and log the use of a 3rd party battery.

The one thing I have found after some limited research is the 3rd party batteries and usually the 3rd party chargers are not UL approved. If that matters, then perhaps consider spending the money for the OEM battery.

sponsored links

6,059 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does Watson LPE6 battery nullify Canon 5d mk4 body warranty?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.