Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 23 Sep 2017 (Saturday) 00:16
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How to remove flash from eyes?

dylan84
86 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Sep 23, 2017 00:16 |  #1

I am looking to get some advice on how to remove flash from eyes, from an on camera flash. There not the most attractive thing, though have only found information out there on red eye which is a bit different. Would appreciate any help. If you can't zoom in on the shots i will crop them.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
dylan84
THREAD ­ STARTER
86 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Sep 23, 2017 00:21 |  #2

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Sep 23, 2017 00:22 |  #3

I'd leave them. Especially with the young lady, if you clone the 'flash' out you'll turn the eyes into unsightly black holes. It's normal for the eyes to have a catchlight.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Post has been last edited 28 days ago by Nogo. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 23, 2017 00:26 |  #4

What you are dealing with is the catch light in the images. Most people like these. Instead of trying to remove them, the better option is to use the flash in ways that make the catch light more attractive. The best way to do that is to separate the flash farther from the camera. Usually up and to the side. If you are using a flash on the camera, simply using something like a flashbender will help.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

dylan84
THREAD ­ STARTER
86 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Sep 23, 2017 00:30 as a reply to Nogo's post |  #5

What i am shooting is dating profile shots, so ideally i don't want the shots to look like they were taken professionally. You don't think it really matters though?

dylan84
THREAD ­ STARTER
86 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Sep 23, 2017 00:31 as a reply to Alveric's post |  #6

i did notice that, doesn't look great

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Sep 23, 2017 00:44 |  #7

dylan84 wrote in post #18458411 (external link)
You don't think it really matters though?

Any catchlight would be better than a blacked out pupil in my opinion. Your best option other than accepting this as "good enough" would be to take another shot without the flash and layer the pupil into the original. That may be more work than you wish to do though being these are just photos for use on a dating site.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Sep 23, 2017 19:24 |  #8

Are you planning to do more of these and is your flash off your camera?

If they were red eyes, that would be strange. But a hint of light looks fine, and in fact can look natural because other bright city lights or sky can cause that too sometimes.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

mike_d
Goldmember
4,973 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Sep 23, 2017 20:08 |  #9

dylan84 wrote in post #18458411 (external link)
What i am shooting is dating profile shots, so ideally i don't want the shots to look like they were taken professionally. You don't think it really matters though?

Then use a phone from 18" away with the LED on in a dark room and hold it vertically.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Sep 25, 2017 10:00 |  #10

The best way to eliminate those kinds of catchlights is to not use on-camera flash.

Get the flash off the camera,
OR
Have the subject stand in a location where the ambient light is flattering and put away the flash entirely.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Sep 25, 2017 11:28 |  #11

You actually WANT catchlights in the eye. Thats a plus.

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,834 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Sep 25, 2017 11:33 |  #12

A little catchlight from flash is not a bad thing. I like those. There is always PS but inconvenient for multiple files. Other method is to bounce. This person who I consider the master of in camera bounces off anything he can find. Directional lighting as opposed to direct will give images more depth.

https://neilvn.com ...h-photography-techniques/ (external link)

https://neilvn.com ...es/natural-looking-flash/ (external link)

Another option is off camera flash which may be inconvenient for your purposes. Even getting the flash higher with a bracket makes a difference.

You may consider a flash diffuser but stay away from the gimmicks that say they have overcome the physics of light. ;-)a I made this one for about 5 dollars but I seldom use it. I prefer to bounce and put my flash on a bracket when I can't and it is what it is. I don't worry about it.

http://super.nova.org/​DPR/DIY01/ (external link)

Image Editing OK

Websiteexternal link ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

1,012 views & 3 likes for this thread
How to remove flash from eyes?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.