Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 05 Jul 2015 (Sunday) 20:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Before and After - The Weekly Editing Challenge

Cormac
Joined Jan 2014
Indiana
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Cormac.
Sep 17, 2017 19:05 |  #1696

Pumped clarity, saturated the blue a bit. Then brushed in the sky and added strong dehaze and more clarity. As well as dropping the exposure. OH and a bit of vignette. In LR then to PS for the lightning. I call it, "into the storm"

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.

sponsored links
cfdesigns
Joined Apr 2017
Sep 17, 2017 19:20 |  #1697

Removed sky and painted new background. Applied black and white adjustment layer and other various adjustment layers.

HOSTED PHOTO

Pebal
Joined Jun 2010
Sep 18, 2017 00:45 as a reply to post 18454246 |  #1698

Processed in the SNS-HDR Pro.

HOSTED PHOTO

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,707 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Chet. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 18, 2017 11:36 |  #1699

Decrease exposure crop and vignette in LR CC, adjust tonal contrast in Color Efex Pro, add rain in Paint Shop Pro.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-nQ7GRZ6/0/c3dfeb09/O/i-nQ7GRZ6.jpg

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Benitoite
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Morgan Hill, CA
Sep 18, 2017 13:15 |  #1700

Boosted colors, chroma, chrominance, and any other synonym I could find. Raw conversion / tonemapping in Luminance HDR, layered in Gimp, post in Rawtherapee.

HOSTED PHOTO

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,707 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Chet. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 19, 2017 11:57 |  #1701

Same pp as above; Decrease exposure crop and vignette in LR CC, adjust tonal contrast in Color Efex Pro, add rain in Paint Shop Pro. Spent more time on prop work, added the explosion.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-bQfT8Bx/0/297f5a0a/O/i-bQfT8Bx.jpg

After removing existing prop blade I had to trace wing in AutoCAD to get propeller arc figured out. Took that drawing in Paintshop and layered it over wing then added a radial blur.

HOSTED PHOTO

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Mozes
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Holland
Sep 19, 2017 14:14 |  #1702

just some painting with a firebruh, thats all....

HOSTED PHOTO

*Nikon D3s * Nikon D7100 * 18-105mm kitlens * Tamron AF SP 90 mm f/2.8 VC USD Macro * Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 SP Di VC USD *
Sportplaatje (external link) I flickriver (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,481 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Sep 20, 2017 21:12 |  #1703

Affinity Photo Adjusted contrast, highlights and shadows and added the girl.

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
10,965 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Inland Empire, So. Cal
Sep 24, 2017 16:06 |  #1704

Well, the week is up and it's time for me to decide which edit of my original shot I prefer. Once again, everyone has made that a very difficult task. To me, the most challenging aspect of the photo is the magenta color cast on the left side of the fuselage. My solution was to convert to grayscale so it's great to see how others would handle the image, especially in such creative ways.

For this week, I'm selecting Cormac's edit as the winner and Chet's as the runner-up. Congrats to you both and thanks to everyone for their efforts. Below is mine.

Cormac is up to provide a raw image for the next challenge.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gene - My Photo Gallery ||external link My USS Oriskany websiteexternal link || My Flickrexternal link
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Cormac
Joined Jan 2014
Indiana
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Cormac.
Sep 24, 2017 18:53 |  #1705

Thanks Doc!

...now compiled into a single, easy to locate thread, that can be added to your subscribe/follow list!

Rules are simple:

• Download the image file from the current week

• Contestants will have 7 days to edit the image and post their edited version to the thread (1 entry per week)

• The owner of the original image will choose a winner

• The winner will copy & paste this post and include a new downloadable image link

The new image must be unedited / SOOC (straight our of camera), full-resolution, and in a RAW format, ie. CR2, DNG, TIF, etc (Dropbox works well for uploading and linking these large files) The purpose of this game is to be creative and learn new editing techniques. You must give some insight into exactly how you went about editing the image. For example, increased shadows sliders, reduced highlights, local sharpening, white balance adjustment, specific filters used, tone curve adjustments, etc. Comments and/or questions regarding the edits are encouraged.

Taken last night as the sun was dropping below the horizon. I had literally no time to set up my cheap gorilla pod knock off and fire off a couple long exposures before the sun was gone. All while trying to keep myself and camera on the slippery rocks. So yes, I know the horizon is crooked.

https://www.dropbox.co​m ...hg67hm1/IMG_2776.CR​2?dl=0 (external link)

Here is the image SOOC...

HOSTED PHOTO

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,481 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Sep 24, 2017 22:35 |  #1706

Affinity Photo Cropped and straightened, darkened foreground rocks, punched vibrancy and added rays.

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark

roseyposey
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Hastings, New Zealand
Sep 25, 2017 02:53 |  #1707

OK - I have been watching and admiring the skills here for a few weeks. I don't have any PS skills other then selective sharpening of eyes, so lots to learn. Haven't taken many images lately and liked this. So, very basic in LR: warmed a bit, reduced highlights, upped shadows, increased clarity and vibrance, and slight sharpening. Oh and 6 x 3 crop to try emphasise sun and reflections o rocks.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4430/37445762015_5da4e637dc_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Z3Xj​st] (external link)IMG_2776 POTN Rocks sunset after edit LR (external link) by Rose McGillicuddy (external link), on Flickr

Canon EOS 70D: added a Canon M5: A mixture of Canon, Sigma, Tamron and Tokina prime and zoom lenses, a Samyang fisheye, and just for fun a couple of Helios 44-2 58m..
Rose
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/rose_mcgillicud​dy/ (external link)
"Dance among the moonbeams, feel the magic in the air."

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Sep 25, 2017 05:54 |  #1708

Tonemap with SNS-HDR > Photoshop > Levels > Crop > Adjust Color Temp. Apply nik Tonal Contrast filter.

HOSTED PHOTO

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
10,965 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Inland Empire, So. Cal
Sep 25, 2017 10:34 |  #1709

I did my usual adjustments in ACR such as leveling, black/white point, shadows/highlights and white balance. Then I added two grad. filters, the first to darken the sky down to the rocks and the 2nd from the lower left up to the upper right of the rocks to increase exposure. I also added some dehaze to both adjustments. Open in Photoshop where I adjusted tones a bit more and used Topaz Simplify to boost colors to be a bit 'over the top'. Added the seagull silhouette, reduced image size and saved as jpg. Oh, after I resized, I removed a bit of haloing between the rocks and sky and water using the clone tool in darken blend mode.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gene - My Photo Gallery ||external link My USS Oriskany websiteexternal link || My Flickrexternal link
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Sep 25, 2017 11:56 as a reply to navydoc's post |  #1710

The blue sky is an excellent improvement, mine just looks muddy!

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

sponsored links

202,682 views & 2578 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.