Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 06 Feb 2016 (Saturday) 16:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

CR2 files not recognized from new camera

SWIFFY
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Out in the country in Central Minnesota
Sep 23, 2017 15:28 |  #16

Mine are just coming up as CR2 files and unable to open. I dont know whats right to download and whats wrong as far as codecs. Im confused with the techy computer stuff but I suppose theres only one way to learn. If I call Canon will their customer service walk me through it?

Will the disks included with the camera have any of this?

I apologize for asking before looking but im not by my equipment at the moment.

Thanks for all the help!

sponsored links
davesrose
Goldmember
2,778 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been last edited 27 days ago by davesrose. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 23, 2017 17:02 as a reply to SWIFFY's post |  #17

What version of Windows are you using? What version of PS? There's different versions of ACR for Photoshop CC versions or CS6. Here's a link that has links for ACR with CC or CS6:

Camera Raw plug-in installer (external link)

Let us know if you've got PS working. Way back when, I remember I could get camera codecs from Canon's site that would let you see thumbnails in the file manager. Now with Windows 10, I can see my 7D2 cr2 files as thumbnails or in the gallery viewer. You can try seeing if installing all the software on the disc will also install the codec (not sure if it's included or not). Looking at the Canon site, some software like the EOS Utility for Windows has a much more current version as a download (the utility may have the codec):

7D II Drivers (external link)

Edit: found another forum where a poster stated they were able to get 7D2 cr2 files to show in Windows 7 with this camera codec (even though it's not specified in the details):

Microsoft Camera Codec Pack (6.3.9721.0) (external link)

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

SWIFFY
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Post has been edited 26 days ago by SWIFFY.
Sep 24, 2017 13:09 |  #18

I have PS Elements 9 and Windows 7 Pro.

I went through all the disks that came with the camera and downloaded a Canon viewer to see the RAW images, but it doesnt do me any good in PS or Windows. I also downloaded the Adobe Camera RAW Installer 9-12... and that didnt do anything either.

I appreciate all the helpful comments people. I know its not easy to explain this stuff to a dummy like me on a forum. Ill have to find someone local who can come and physically look at it for me, cause its frustration having good quality files that I cant do anything with. The largest jpegs I can take are about 4 MP.

Thanks again everyone!

Edit: davesrose, thanks I will try that Microsoft codec pack!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,365 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 26 days ago by John from PA. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 24, 2017 14:42 |  #19

SWIFFY wrote in post #18459418 (external link)
I have PS Elements 9 and Windows 7 Pro.

I went through all the disks that came with the camera and downloaded a Canon viewer to see the RAW images, but it doesnt do me any good in PS or Windows. I also downloaded the Adobe Camera RAW Installer 9-12... and that didnt do anything either.

I appreciate all the helpful comments people. I know its not easy to explain this stuff to a dummy like me on a forum. Ill have to find someone local who can come and physically look at it for me, cause its frustration having good quality files that I cant do anything with. The largest jpegs I can take are about 4 MP.

I see one major issue. Camera Raw 8.7 (or later) is only compatible with Elements 13 and later versions. You say you are using Elements 9. If you look up the compatibility of Elements 9 with Camera Raw you will find it is only compatible with Camera Raw versions 6.1 to 6.5. Conclusion is you'll never be able to open the 7DII Raw files so long as you stay with Elements 9. You have several alternatives, fortunately one good one is free. You could upgrade to the latest Elements compatible with Windows 7 Pro. Version 15 is compatible with Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

You could also batch convert all RAW images to DNG format using the Adobe DNG Converter. With your admitted lack of computer skills this might not be desirable.

If all you want to do is view RAW, then you might try using the FastStone Image Viewer (freebie) I mention in this thread, response #7.

Lastly, and perhaps your best alternative IMO, is to download and install the Canon software Digital Photo Professional version 4. Version 4 is actually quite powerful software for post processing. If you do this download the PDF manual as well as there will be a learning curve and the manual is very helpful

SWIFFY
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Sep 24, 2017 15:04 |  #20

So with the DPP Version 4 would I not use Photoshop? I like PS and have used some version of it since 2003 so I hate to go to something else im not as familiar with.

I dont want to just view... I can see the jpegs now. I want the ability to edit in Photoshop and save the finished product as a viewable image.

Uuggghh... im just out of my league here. Im probably best off shopping for a new PS Elements 13 or newer.

Thank you John!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,365 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 26 days ago by John from PA. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 24, 2017 15:15 |  #21

SWIFFY wrote in post #18459493 (external link)
So with the DPP Version 4 would I not use Photoshop? I like PS and have used some version of it since 2003 so I hate to go to something else im not as familiar with.

I dont want to just view... I can see the jpegs now. I want the ability to edit in Photoshop and save the finished product as a viewable image.

Uuggghh... im just out of my league here. Im probably best off shopping for a new PS Elements 13 or newer.

Some things to consider. First of all DPP v4 can replace Photoshop. There will be a learning curve but their also will be a learning curve in moving from Photoshop 9 to 15. Comparing the two alternatives I don't know which learning curve would be "steeper" I do know that I quit using Elements at version 12 and moved from DPP 3 to 4 and have no regrets. Something to consider is DPP 4 is free so you can use it and if you don't like it do an uninstall. If you move to the latest and greatest Elements you will definitely be out some cash (maybe $80). See https://commerce.adobe​.com ...mv%3Dother&landscap​e=prod (external link).

SWIFFY
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Sep 24, 2017 15:44 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #22

Awesome! Im going to try that John. I think the newest version in on the disk I have actually. I will learn to use it or at least try it! Can I also edit the Jpeg images on that as well? I can basically phase away from PS then.

Thanks so much for your help!

davesrose
Goldmember
2,778 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Sep 24, 2017 22:50 as a reply to SWIFFY's post |  #23

Not sure what your budget is, but If you want to stick with Adobe....IMO, their photography CC subscription isn’t bad. You get the full Photoshop Pro and Lightroom for $10 a month. I work with graphics and animation, so I had to bite the bullet and buy Adobe’s full CC suite of programs. Some don’t like the idea of a subscription, but you always stay up to date with the software.

When it comes to the difference between Lightroom and Photoshop, Lightroom is better at working on a series of photos at one time. Photoshop is very powerful and good for fine tuning a photo you want to spend time on. But it does cost money, and has a bit of a learning curve itself, so DPP would be a good free way to see what a RAW converter is like.

EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

SWIFFY
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Sep 24, 2017 22:56 as a reply to davesrose's post |  #24

I see i have the version 3.14 on my disk. Is that ok to start with or will i want the version 4. Theres just so many technical things to look at that im not sure about... like if my computer is 32 or 64 bit?

davesrose
Goldmember
2,778 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Sep 24, 2017 23:45 as a reply to SWIFFY's post |  #25

If it came with the 7D2, it should work fine. To check your computer info, you can go to the start button and search for “computer” in the search field. Right click on it and select properties. The window will show your system info.

smugmug (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,365 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 25 days ago by John from PA. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 25, 2017 06:38 |  #26

SWIFFY wrote in post #18459741 (external link)
I see i have the version 3.14 on my disk. Is that ok to start with or will i want the version 4. Theres just so many technical things to look at that im not sure about... like if my computer is 32 or 64 bit?

Version 3.x isn't anywhere as good as version 4.x. Go to https://www.usa.canon.​com ...eras/dslr/eos-7d-mark-ii/ (external link) and select the "Drivers and Downloads" tab and select your software. Do you kow if you have Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit? Then under the list of software download what you need, or download the "EOS Digital Solution Disk Software 31.4A for Windows" and burn it to a CD.

Note these are big files so have a fast connection.

There are some tutorials at http://cpn.canon-europe.com ...re/dpp_video_tutori​als.do (external link) which you may want to review before you do the download just so you can see the capability of the product.

The manual in PDF format can be downloaded from https://www.canon-europe.com ...s&manualid=tcm:13-1183741 (external link).

SWIFFY
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Sep 25, 2017 14:11 |  #27

John and Dave, thank you guys so much for your help to some newbie! I see I have the 64-bit windows 7. I will just go ahead and download the version 4.

Thanks again for your help and generosity. I may PM you if I have more questions....

SWIFFY

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,690 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Post has been edited 25 days ago by DreDaze.
Sep 25, 2017 14:19 |  #28

Get an adobe dng converter...turns your cr2's into dng's...i bet that works

https://helpx.adobe.co​m ...hop/digital-negative.html (external link)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

SWIFFY
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Oct 09, 2017 20:08 |  #29

Just wanted to give an update and a thank you to all that replied and offered their knowledge to me...

I uploaded DPP version 4 and downloaded the PDF Direction Manual. I now understand it and its working GREAT for opening and editing the RAW images and making the major adjustments! Ive then been doing the "Convert and Save" to jpeg. I can then do much of what I know how to do in Elements after that if needed.

Thanks for getting me on the right track and for all the great advice!

SWIFFY

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,690 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Oct 09, 2017 20:14 |  #30

SWIFFY wrote in post #18469386 (external link)
Just wanted to give an update and a thank you to all that replied and offered their knowledge to me...

I uploaded DPP version 4 and downloaded the PDF Direction Manual. I now understand it and its working GREAT for opening and editing the RAW images and making the major adjustments! Ive then been doing the "Convert and Save" to jpeg. I can then do much of what I know how to do in Elements after that if needed.

Thanks for getting me on the right track and for all the great advice!

SWIFFY

did you try the dng converter?

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

sponsored links

3,330 views & 0 likes for this thread
CR2 files not recognized from new camera
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.