Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 25 Sep 2017 (Monday) 08:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Thinking about trying SmugMug, pros and cons?

aparis99
Joined Nov 2006
KY
Sep 25, 2017 08:50 |  #1

I've used Flickr for over 10 years for photo hosting and have no real complaints. I've got over 4,200 photos in albums, all tagged, and most with geotags also. It's great when someone asks "Do you have a photo of...".

My reason for looking for another hosting site is for selling and to relieve me of manually printing and getting images to people. I get normal requests for shots for websites, magazines, etc, and SmugMug (among others) has the watermark overlay feature which I appreciate, but gives the option to download the file at a price I set and they get the full res image, unwatermarked. Flickr is great, but I have LR watermark the image prior to upload, so I still have to go retrieve the file and export it for people when someone buys it.

Another reason, sometimes at local events, there may be several people wanting to buy photos/canvases and it would be easier just to setup the store via SmugMug at my price points and let them handle everything and send me the 80% profits.

I'm going to setup a Wordpress front-end, blog, etc, but thinking about the "portfolio" linking to SM. I'm here looking for thoughts, and want to hear opinions, or other options...

My Site - www.apimagery.com (external link)
Canon 5DmkIII, Canon 7D, Canon 16-35f4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 ISL II, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Sigma Art 35 f1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 100-400L II, 2x Extender III, 580exII, Think Tank Retro 30 and 40

mbellot
"My dog ate my title"
3,354 posts
Joined Jul 2005
The Miami of Canada - Chicago!
Sep 25, 2017 09:30 |  #2

I've had a SM account for 10 years, generally I've been satisfied.

My biggest complaint is with new features. They force them on rather than leaving the old setting/option as the default, such as when they introduced square thumbnails for the galleries, or when they add a new social media platform connection.

If you can keep up with the unintended changes to your SM site it's a decent service.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
9,961 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Sep 25, 2017 17:41 |  #3

I like SmugMug. I believe only the Pro account would allow you to sell your photos and prints for profits. Is about $350 a year. Hehehehe.... Currently, I am using the Portfolio account with your own domain name, which is about $60 a year. I, instead, handle all the photo and print sales on my own end....since my volume is low enough. One thing I like about it is that I can create a private gallery and with password to allow my clients to view and download the photos.

Unless you are planning to sell tons of photos and prints, I don't believe the Pro Business account is cost effective for your purposes.

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

563 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thinking about trying SmugMug, pros and cons?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.