Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 12 Sep 2017 (Tuesday) 02:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Been out of it too long. Help me choose new gear please?

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,690 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Sep 14, 2017 21:10 |  #46

the 15-85 is pretty long in the tooth though...just about any lens introduced recently is equal or better...it will really come down to the focal length you prefer...but for now i'd just use the 18-200IS for a while, and see where you find it's lacking before buying something to replace it

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

sponsored links
kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been edited 1 month ago by kf095.
Sep 15, 2017 22:20 |  #47

550D is still decent camera. I'm still using 500D.
The key is how to use Canon DSLR properly and with which lens. 550D is snappy on AF if you set AF for continuous and to * button. It makes big difference once you learn how to set AF point quickly. Even with not moving objects. And nothing beats L USM focus. It is this fast. And if you will put L lens on 550D it is like new camera on pictures. All of those non L lenses you mentioned in OP are next to mediocre in the rendering comparing to L. IMO.

Just 17-40 F4 L and 70-200 F4 L will make huge difference in IQ and AF with camera you already have. Don't be afraid to use flash and compensate with high ISO. 550D will handle it.

And main thing, learn about * button and AI Servo, if not already.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Eurogranada
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2010
Sep 21, 2017 09:26 |  #48

Well, it looks like I just went ahead and bought myself a nice mildly run in EOS 80D today!

It's a year old with 3000 clicks, comes with a year's warranty, some additions and has absolutely no marks or anything.

From reading this forum and your advice I think I'll have a great camera with this in my hands!

I'm absolutely on board with those who say I shouldn't possibly have had the issues I have with the EOS 550D, so I'll be sure to develop my skills and also put more effort and time in getting to know this camera. But I also agreed with those who said that if I was to put the effort in to get re-acquainted with the EOS 550D I might as well put that effort into a new camera and benefit from the advances in tech like focus and lighting (DR) and the video features etc. So that is why I decided to go this route.

Thanks for any and all advice. Now to save up for some more impressive glass. Seems like if you are willing to go second hand, there's some nice stuff not so far out of reach.

Ah-keong
Joined Apr 2016
Sep 21, 2017 22:47 |  #49

congrats!

Have fun shooting!!

IMAGE: https://www.yaotomi.co.jp/blog/walk/assets_c/2016/04/EM160009,2016yaotomi-thumb-700xauto-71984.jpg

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART |
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |
Tenba DNA 15 Messenger | Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 40v2.0 | Speed Changer v2.0

Eurogranada
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2010
Sep 25, 2017 06:41 |  #50

Picked the 80D up last friday. Well impressed with the look, feel and most of all IQ.

Working trough the manual now, but out of the box the wow factor is certainly there and I never felt the 550D was a bad camera, but this seems so sharp!

Ah-keong
Joined Apr 2016
Sep 25, 2017 22:01 |  #51

Enjoy the IQ!

IMAGE: https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/WS0AAOSwCU1YzeGa/$_35.JPG

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART |
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |
Tenba DNA 15 Messenger | Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 40v2.0 | Speed Changer v2.0

sponsored links

1,888 views & 9 likes for this thread
Been out of it too long. Help me choose new gear please?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.