Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 19 Sep 2017 (Tuesday) 14:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I've been volunteered to shoot wedding

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,702 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Sep 21, 2017 14:27 |  #46

Leave the lens cap on by accident. You'll never be asked again. (At least that's what I'm planning for my nieces wedding next year. She told me I was her free photographer for her wedding next fall.... I should be so lucky.) LENS CAP, don't leave home without it!

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-KLw8XjJ/0/80eb580c/O/i-KLw8XjJ.jpg

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

sponsored links
Talley
Talley Whacker
10,142 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Sep 21, 2017 14:30 |  #47

Bring a bottle of liquid ass fart spray. This works well for crowd control. People move in your shot one pump of that you won't have any obstructions in your way.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,740 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Sep 21, 2017 15:24 |  #48

looking at your shots, i'd start using the outer AF points to get more of a rule of thirds composition...also if the wedding venue is somewhere nice, maybe rent a wider lens...something like a 17-55f2.8IS paired with the 70-200mm on two different bodies would cover a lot...or sigma 18-35f1.8

but having 35mm on a crop as your widest seems like it could be limiting

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

pbrimages
209 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Post has been edited 2 months ago by pbrimages.
Sep 21, 2017 21:02 |  #49

Chet wrote in post #18457286 (external link)
Leave the lens cap on by accident. You'll never be asked again. (At least that's what I'm planning for my nieces wedding next year. She told me I was her free photographer for her wedding next fall.... I should be so lucky.) LENS CAP, don't leave home without it!

QUOTED IMAGE

Really? Do tell me of this magic trick. How do you actually convince someone that you saw something through your viewfinder with the lens cap still on?

1DX, 1Ds MkIII IR (FSp), 1Ds MkII, 1Ds, 1D, 1V-HS, G1x II, 550D (Running ML), Elan 7e, 300D, WFT-E2A, WFT-E1A, 17-40 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS USM, 400 DO IS USM, 50 1.4, 50 1.8 Plastique Fantastique, and a host of other less-than-noteworthy detritus

Chet
41,702 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sep 21, 2017 21:39 |  #50

pbrimages wrote in post #18457526 (external link)
Really? Do tell me of this magic trick. How do you actually convince someone that you saw something through your viewfinder with the lens cap still on?

Trade secret.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
My Gear List

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by -Duck-.
Sep 22, 2017 03:05 |  #51

Chet wrote in post #18457543 (external link)
Trade secret.

I understand that lens cap trick is considered an advanced distraction tactic and not to be used by the feint of heart. ;-)a

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Colin Glover. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 22, 2017 11:42 |  #52

As much as I like the idea, Chet, I'm not brave enough to try it. I doubt it would wash, as most brides ask for a peek at the camera screen at some point during the day. Then you're in trouble. Not as much if it's during the preparations, but if it's at the end of the day, oh boy! Wouldn't like to be you. If I didn't want a gig, I'd point blank refuse. Unless the wife made me lol. I actually enjoy it. I've just done my 14th wedding gig. Done 6 already this year (only 2 freebies and one of those was expenses paid). Enjoy the occasion, and if you decide you want to to do more, then is the time to step on the GAS for more kit.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by -Duck-.
Sep 22, 2017 12:33 |  #53

Colin Glover wrote in post #18457888 (external link)
As much as I like the idea, Chet, I'm not brave enough to try it. I doubt it would wash, as most brides ask for a peek at the camera screen at some point during the day. Then you're in trouble. Not as much if it's during the preparations, but if it's at the end of the day, oh boy!...

This is why it's considered an "advanced technique." The trick is to do it prior to being asked for a gig. You pull off the Lens Cap Blunder move in front of the wannabe client and they'll think twice before asking you to shoot their wedding.

Brilliant! :-D

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

Chet
41,702 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Chet. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 22, 2017 12:45 |  #54

Colin Glover wrote in post #18457888 (external link)
As much as I like the idea, Chet, I'm not brave enough to try it. I doubt it would wash, as most brides ask for a peek at the camera screen at some point during the day. Then you're in trouble. Not as much if it's during the preparations, but if it's at the end of the day, oh boy! Wouldn't like to be you. If I didn't want a gig, I'd point blank refuse. Unless the wife made me lol. I actually enjoy it. I've just done my 14th wedding gig. Done 6 already this year (only 2 freebies and one of those was expenses paid). Enjoy the occasion, and if you decide you want to to do more, then is the time to step on the GAS for more kit.

I do understand what you're saying, and I didn't want to go this far, but this technique does work the sympathy route. You can go as far as you need to go to make it real for the occasion. I took the liberty of making a 9 layer composite of different features to try and communicate the technique. **Use at your own discretion!**

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-TbndFPb/0/b0a67665/XL/i-TbndFPb-XL.jpg

My Gear List

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Sep 22, 2017 13:36 |  #55

LMAO!!!! :-P

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Sep 25, 2017 15:52 |  #56

jimmy_beaner wrote in post #18457214 (external link)
Some of the things you've mentioned have been made abundantly clear to her as well. They will be in the contract. I have a model release ready to go and we've discussed this. I did link some actual wedding pictures I've taken before so it isn't like I've never experienced it from a picture taking perspective... I've just never been in the role of "wedding photographer". I have also mentioned I would love a dual slot camera. I don't have access to one nor have I used one to the point of being comfortable on it. I'll get one some day when I can justify its purchase for myself.

Your model release should be part of your contract. makes it simple.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Sep 25, 2017 15:54 |  #57

FFFCFF wrote in post #18457272 (external link)
What I could add? If You would like to buy some new eqipment it is best moment to have a good explanation to Your wife :-P:lol:. Wish You to make some good shots.

EXACTLY !!!!! Your need a new 5DMKIV to shoot the wedding. Totally her fault for roping you into this gig *LOL*

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

jimmy_beaner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Des Moines
Sep 25, 2017 15:57 as a reply to scorpio_e's post |  #58

I am looking at a 6D or 5DIII/IV... but really thinking it won't happen for a couple years. Kind of depends how good of a job I can do on some of these and whether she wants me to get further into it.

Canon 7D
Canon 35 f/1.4 L,

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Sep 26, 2017 09:47 |  #59

To me your photos are totally fine to help people to make this wedding financially more reasonable and have good pictures. Do not overthink it and do not over load yourself with gear.
6D with 24-70 should make it. Take it to the church ASAP, to determine if you will need flash or not. If flash is still needed, check it with on-camera first. Here is nothing wrong with TTL flash like yours on camera. With 6D very high ISO, you might need just a hint of the flash. Make sure you have enough power source for camera and flash.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

jimmy_beaner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Des Moines
Sep 26, 2017 10:22 |  #60

kf095 wrote in post #18460740 (external link)
To me your photos are totally fine to help people to make this wedding financially more reasonable and have good pictures. Do not overthink it and do not over load yourself with gear.
6D with 24-70 should make it. Take it to the church ASAP, to determine if you will need flash or not. If flash is still needed, check it with on-camera first. Here is nothing wrong with TTL flash like yours on camera. With 6D very high ISO, you might need just a hint of the flash. Make sure you have enough power source for camera and flash.

Thank you for your reply and I'm glad the pictures are acceptable for a "free" service. I have 580EXII already with three sets of fully charged batteries and I have 3 Canon batteries for the 6D (technically for the 7D as well, but I only use it gripped so I can only use 2 at a time). That should provide me enough juice for the day.

Canon 7D
Canon 35 f/1.4 L,

sponsored links

2,854 views & 43 likes for this thread
I've been volunteered to shoot wedding
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.