Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 19 Sep 2017 (Tuesday) 14:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I've been volunteered to shoot wedding

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,469 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post has been last edited 27 days ago by Chet. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 26, 2017 10:34 |  #61

jimmy_beaner wrote in post #18460759 (external link)
Thank you for your reply and I'm glad the pictures are acceptable for a "free" service. I have 580EXII already with three sets of fully charged batteries and I have 3 Canon batteries for the 6D (technically for the 7D as well, but I only use it gripped so I can only use 2 at a time). That should provide me enough juice for the day.

I had to shoot for a fire house yesterday. I only brought my 1dmkiii with me, and at the last minute thought to bring my bag of flashes and stands. Turns out when I got the the station for a 7pm shoot it was getting pretty dark so I set up 3 flashes with my Radio popper triggers. As the fire and rescue crew were still showing up I could work on setup. Thing is, I couldn't for the life of me get my flashes to trigger from the camera. I swapped batteries, flipped the dip switches on the receivers and transmitter, now in the dark, couldn't get the things to fire. They got a call in so 2 trucks (part of the picture) and crew left. I figured this gave me some time, but to no avail. Luckily 10 minutes later they radioed in and they told me we would have to reschedule. I recommended we start earlier so that we have some light to work with and went home. Seems my hot shoe switch was dirty or gunged up, so after a bit of frustration and cleaning it seems to trigger 85% of the time. Also one of the triggers went out. Disappointed that Canon no longer services this body as I use off camera flash often for shoots.

Moral of the story, have backups for everything (I have 5 Canon flashes). I should had brought my other body, but the 1d never lets me down ... Until yesterday. It's rescheduled for next Monday at 6.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Sep 26, 2017 12:42 |  #62

Chet wrote in post #18460774 (external link)
[...] Thing is, I couldn't for the life of me get my flashes to trigger from the camera. I swapped batteries, flipped the dip switches on the receivers and transmitter, now in the dark, couldn't get the things to fire. [...]

Been there, done that. I'm pretty sure most photographers have face a similar situation at one point or another. I set up a Yongnuo in a softbox with PW's. I couldn't get the flash to fire. I tried everything; cleaning contacts, putting fresh batteries in, etc... There too I ended up rescheduling. Come to find out, the flash was set to a slave mode that disregarded the radio trigger. Who knew that was a thing?

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

2,262 views & 43 likes for this thread
I've been volunteered to shoot wedding
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.