Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 26 Sep 2017 (Tuesday) 21:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Better for Low Light: 7d with L glass or 6d with cheaper glass?

tomfucillo
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Post has been last edited 24 days ago by tomfucillo. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 26, 2017 21:31 |  #1

Hi, I'm about to begin apprenticing as a wedding photographer. I need to upgrade my gear for better performance in low-light situations. I currently shoot an old Canon 7d Mk 1 with a 50mm 1.4 prime lens.

With my budget the options I have are to either upgrade my camera body to a new 6d (and shoot with the same glass) or to purchase a used EF 24-70L for use with my 7d. Which would give me the most improvement in low-light situations?

deeply appreciate any help, thanks in advance

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 26, 2017 21:56 |  #2

6D will be significantly better than the 7D.

And to get your other thread deleted, report the post using the button that is in the area to the left of the post area (right under your screen name)

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
Joined Oct 2008
Buffalo, NY
Sep 26, 2017 21:58 |  #3

tomfucillo wrote in post #18461131 (external link)
Hi, I'm about to begin apprenticing as a wedding photographer. I need to upgrade my gear for better performance in low-light situations. I currently shoot an old Canon 7d Mk 1 with a 50mm 1.4 prime lens.

With my budget the options I have are to either upgrade my camera body to a new 6d (and shoot with the same glass) or to purchase a used EF 24-70L for use with my 7d. Which would give me the most improvement in low-light situations?

The 7D has better AF than the 6D, While you can make the 6D's system work, its not on the same level as the 7D

The 50mm f/1.4 will be VERY limiting as your only lens on a 6D body, not to mention give a wider field of view compared to the 7D and thus very possibly be less suited to the work you're doing or desire

The 24-70 and 7D to me would be the better option of the two. But I'd also say you may need or want to consider investing in a speedlight on top of it, plus a second body to serve as backup

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

tomfucillo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Sep 26, 2017 22:20 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #4

haha thanks for both pieces of advice, appreciated

tomfucillo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Sep 26, 2017 22:23 as a reply to KenjiS's post |  #5

Thanks. The only thing I'm curious about as regards to your advice is this isn't a new 7d, it's an old Mk1. So it's not a new 7d's performance versus a new 6d, it's an 12-year-old 7d v. a brand new 6d. Does that modify your advice?

No matter what I go with, new lens or new body, I'm gonna immediately begin saving to buy the other. It's just a question of what's best for the next 6 months.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Sep 26, 2017 22:29 |  #6

What advice does your mentor suggest?

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

tomfucillo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Sep 26, 2017 22:31 as a reply to FarmerTed1971's post |  #7

He wants me to get a new Pentax K1 and an accompanying lens, but I don't have that money. I'm posting here because I want to come to him with a different, cheaper solution that I can currently afford.

Neither of us like using flash, so I'm searching for the best way to shoot low-light without it.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,921 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Sep 26, 2017 23:34 |  #8

The best way is to make sure you have a good exposure, low light or not, 7d or not. So whatever body/lens combo you get, make sure the exposure is good, else you will have noise from either, potentially less from the 6d.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

lowrider
755 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Tucson
Sep 26, 2017 23:45 |  #9

tomfucillo wrote in post #18461169 (external link)
Thanks. The only thing I'm curious about as regards to your advice is this isn't a new 7d, it's an old Mk1. So it's not a new 7d's performance versus a new 6d, it's an 12-year-old 7d v. a brand new 6d. Does that modify your advice?

No matter what I go with, new lens or new body, I'm gonna immediately begin saving to buy the other. It's just a question of what's best for the next 6 months.

Confused as heck! the 7D MkI was released in September 2009, 8 years ago! Yours is a pre production model maybe?

Lou

tomfucillo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Post has been edited 24 days ago by tomfucillo.
Sep 26, 2017 23:53 as a reply to lowrider's post |  #10

Super secret prototype 7d.

lol nah I'm just stupid and pulled a number out of my butt. I got it used, didn't buy it when it came out, so I didn't actually know off the top of my head.

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Sep 27, 2017 00:24 |  #11

Sounds like iso is more important. I could make that 50mm work for 6 months, with a bit of creativity. 6D iso is miles ahead of 7D. Resolution is better too, so you can crop with more confidence.

tomfucillo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Sep 27, 2017 01:32 as a reply to texkam's post |  #12

thanks

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 27, 2017 05:11 |  #13

tomfucillo wrote in post #18461131 (external link)

6D, not even a contest.

The 6D's center point can drop down to -3EV sensitivity for AF.
And the 6D's ISO performance is significantly better and will clean up better too.
Actually the 7D is one of the noisiest APS-C's around.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,921 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 23 days ago by TeamSpeed.
Sep 27, 2017 05:46 |  #14

The 7d was certainly not one of the noisiest apsc, especially given the resolution increase and after normalization for comparisons.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Sibil
Goldmember
4,907 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Sep 27, 2017 05:55 |  #15

tomfucillo wrote in post #18461174 (external link)
Neither of us like using flash, so I'm searching for the best way to shoot low-light without it.

No question, 6D. And look for a used 85/1.8.

sponsored links

1,570 views & 9 likes for this thread
Better for Low Light: 7d with L glass or 6d with cheaper glass?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.