Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes
Thread started 22 Sep 2017 (Friday) 11:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Help me find a Page AZ slot canyon Photography Tour

Robert ­ Zurfluh
360 posts
Joined Mar 2010
New Jersey
Sep 22, 2017 11:30 |  #1

Researching them I find myself confused where to go and what outfitter to go with. I have time since I am not going out there until next May, but it seems to me that Antelope Canyon can feel like Times Square in NYC.

I also read up a little bit on Canyon X, Mountain Sheep, Owl, and Rattlesnake Canyon.

But it did not help me with my decision making....

Here are my questions.

What Photo Tour Outfitter have you used and can highly recommend?

Have you gone to any of the other canyons I listed?

Is Antelope Canyon a must? And if yes, should I try to shoot upper or lower?

If Antelope Canyon is not a "must see", which of the other ones are closest to it is "wow" factor?

Thank you!

-Robert

Canon6D, Canon7D, Canon7DII, EF16-35L, EF24-105L, EF50L , EF100L Macro, EF135L, EF70-300DO

sponsored links
paul3221
Goldmember
2,362 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Sep 23, 2017 09:53 |  #2

It has changed a lot over the last few years. Prices and crowds have gone up exponentially. You will also be hitting it in peak season, so the crowds will be pretty crazy. Of the two, I prefer lower. It's longer, and maybe a little less busy, although even that is debatable anymore. I think that lower is also less expensive, but that may have changed by now. Canyon X is a little further down the road, out of town. It's less busy, but really it's just two short sections. Same sandstone as Antelope though, so it's pretty. I haven't done the others on your list. They are a little more expensive, and I think they're pretty short as well. The people that own/guide canyon X also do a tour of what they call Cardiac Canyon. I've heard it's good as well.

Ho long are you in Page for? Just one day, or a couple days. There are a couple others within driving distance that are also nice and much less busy. Water Holes canyon is < 10 miles south of town, and you can take as long in there as you want. You just pay the Navajo pass fee, and guide yourself. If you drive out 89 towards Kanab, you can get to Wire Pass, and Buckskin Gulch. They are both really nice, and only $5.

Basically I think you need to fight through visiting one of the Antelope Canyons, or at least Canyon X. They are the most beautiful and photogenic. If you have more time, the others are definitely worth a visit, and more enjoyable. If you have more questions, or want to see photos of the different canyons, let me know...

Paul
5DII, 60D, 10-22, 17-40L, 24-105L, Tokina 11-16, and a bunch of other stuff.
Flickrexternal link/Fluidrexternal link
500pxexternal link
Facebook Photography Page

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,161 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Montrose, CO
Sep 23, 2017 22:02 as a reply to paul3221's post |  #3

I recommend Lower Antelope, despite the crowds and new rules/prices. I went last Spring for 3rd time. I learned you must apply way in advance to take a tripod. I was going to pass on it, except my friend wanted to go. There was a huge crowd, took about 20 minutes before we got in and people started moving. Without a tripod, I took far more photos than ever before, and they were actually good. I had to bump the ISO way up, but it worked. Since you mostly shoot high anyway, people aren't that big a problem, just shoot over their heads.

We also took the Antelope Canyon Boat Tour for the first time, at sunset, and it was outstanding.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1external link)

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

Robert ­ Zurfluh
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined Mar 2010
New Jersey
Sep 26, 2017 15:55 as a reply to paul3221's post |  #4

Thanks for all the advice. I also reached out to the folks @ https://actionphototou​rs.com/ (external link) to see if they have suggestions for a private photo tour. I'll keep planning and will research some of the canyons you have mentioned that I was not familiar with. I'll probably shoot you a message with more advice between now and the end of the year. I am in Big Water only for four nights.

Canon6D, Canon7D, Canon7DII, EF16-35L, EF24-105L, EF50L , EF100L Macro, EF135L, EF70-300DO

Robert ­ Zurfluh
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined Mar 2010
New Jersey
Sep 26, 2017 15:58 as a reply to sparker1's post |  #5

Thanks - I'll google that boat tour. Sounds intriguing.

Good advice about the tripod too.

Wondering....is there a way to find out the best time to go down to lower (or upper) Antelope Canyon to get the sun ray beams? With different tour times offered, I am curious.

paul3221
Goldmember
2,362 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Sep 27, 2017 08:49 as a reply to Robert Zurfluh's post |  #6

The beams are more prevalent in Upper, but it's standing room only when they're coming into the canyon. There are a couple in Lower. The main one shines right through the keyhole arch in the "Lady in the Wind" feature. I think it's around 11:00 - 11:30 depending on time of year.

If you're in the area for 4 nights, there is a lot of stuff in the areas you could hit. Alstrom Point is amazing if you have a good 4x4 to get there. Stud Horse Point is nice. Maybe see if you can get a permit for the Wave one of the days you're there?

Paul
5DII, 60D, 10-22, 17-40L, 24-105L, Tokina 11-16, and a bunch of other stuff.
Flickrexternal link/Fluidrexternal link
500pxexternal link
Facebook Photography Page

sponsored links

401 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help me find a Page AZ slot canyon Photography Tour
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.