Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 18 Jul 2017 (Tuesday) 09:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Dropbox for backup?

tim
Light Bringer
50,842 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Jul 23, 2017 00:35 |  #31

Archibald wrote in post #18408915 (external link)
Are we assuming that the incremental backups are each on separate drives? And the main backup body is on a different drive again?

I am pretty careful. I'm retired and there isn't much at stake on my computer that is worth a lot of money. But in the past, that was different. I recall a fairly big job that I did as a consultant, and soon realized that my files for this job were worth much more than the computer. I carefully kept serialized versions of all the important documents and maintained them on several different disks. All important files were backed up daily.

Times have changed and that is not necessary any more.

One incremental backup tends to take all the files from all your disks and put them together in one destination. That can be a disk or online.

Main thing people don't want to lose are their photos. They're important :)

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. 3 edits done in total.
Jul 23, 2017 09:14 |  #32

Any perceived "problem" with Dropbox sync is being a little over dramatized. The computer app/utility syncs with one folder on your device. Within that folder you can specify what you want to sync or not sync. More importantly, outside that folder nothing syncs. Some of my stuff syncs, some doesn't. I often have a folder sync for a while, finish a project, and then turn off syncing. At that point I can decide to back it up elsewhere and remove the originals from my computer sync folder. The Dropbox copies stay intact.

I am not saying it is the best option, but it certainly isn't an issue either. Any decent plan should include multiple options.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

tim
Light Bringer
50,842 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Jul 23, 2017 15:42 |  #33

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18409128 (external link)
Any perceived "problem" with Dropbox sync is being a little over dramatized. The computer app/utility syncs with one folder on your device. Within that folder you can specify what you want to sync or not sync. More importantly, outside that folder nothing syncs. Some of my stuff syncs, some doesn't. I often have a folder sync for a while, finish a project, and then turn off syncing. At that point I can decide to back it up elsewhere and remove the originals from my computer sync folder. The Dropbox copies stay intact.

I am not saying it is the best option, but it certainly isn't an issue either. Any decent plan should include multiple options.

That's quite manual. Automated backups are generally better because they reduce the chance of human error.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

shumicse
160 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Jul 24, 2017 05:12 |  #34

Dropbox can be a great resource for storing the images. As long as I know there is no much issue in using Dropbox as well, the best thing is you can access the files from anywhere!

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Jul 31, 2017 02:56 |  #35

Archibald wrote in post #18408915 (external link)
there isn't much at stake on my computer that is worth a lot of money.

You'd be surprised.... had a client today find their company credit card had been scammed some weeks back to the tune of $5k.
They checked all their antivirus was all up to date & window patches set to auto and everything as up-to-date as it can be.
And yet the machine concerned was logging traffic to known malware I/P addresses, and their account was lighter than it should have been.
This week credit-card fraud, next week crypto-locker...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Sep 19, 2017 21:54 |  #36

I don't like backup or storage online via internet connection because I use my computer a lot, and transfer bogs-down my overall interenet and processing ability.

My preference is backup on several external drives and flash drives in multiple fire safes used for image files, receipts and model releases, etc..

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

mike_d
Goldmember
4,961 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Sep 19, 2017 21:57 |  #37

mdvaden wrote in post #18456219 (external link)
I don't like backup or storage online via internet connection because I use my computer a lot, and transfer bogs-down my overall interenet and processing ability.

My preference is backup on several external drives and flash drives in multiple fire safes used for image files, receipts and model releases, etc..

I know of at least three online backups that let you throttle their upload speed. I have 5-6 MBps upload and don't notice them running in the background though.

tim
Light Bringer
50,842 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Sep 19, 2017 21:57 |  #38

mdvaden wrote in post #18456219 (external link)

The great thing about online backups is it's generally automatic, which means you can't forget to do something. Most decent online backup clients let you pause them, or define times that you want them to run. I don't bother to do that though, even way over in New Zealand where the internet isn't the fastest ever, I have a 100Mbps down and 20Mbps up fiber internet connection, and I don't notice when backups run. If they were running for weeks to upload TB of data I might notice, but for the day to day backups I don't notice at all.

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Post has been edited 26 days ago by Osa713.
Sep 20, 2017 00:10 |  #39

I have my LR catalogue synced via drop box so I can make changes to photos from my laptop and it syncs to my Desktop. Working out very well so far, well until I run out of free space on my free dropbox account.:-P

Looking into Backblaze as a real solution for backup and syncing.

simonbratt
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2017
Sep 27, 2017 14:26 |  #40

Just adding my views, in case it helps..

I use Crashplan Home, oops no sorry Crashplan for business seeming as they ditched the home plan now. The number one reason for staying is that they dont delete files ive removed from my laptop, plus they did me a good deal to stay lol.
It works pretty well and all my stuff is safe continuously

Simon Bratt Photography
www.simonbrattphotogra​phy.com (external link)

mike_d
Goldmember
4,961 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Sep 27, 2017 14:55 |  #41

simonbratt wrote in post #18461598 (external link)
I use Crashplan Home, oops no sorry Crashplan for business seeming as they ditched the home plan now. The number one reason for staying is that they dont delete files ive removed from my laptop,

Yes, their retention policy for both deleted and modified files is very generous and far longer than other providers I've looked into. I'm still on their Family plan (paid through next August) and I'll almost certainly keep Crashplan Business for key computers but find other arrangements for less important computers. I'll either use another tool to consolidate data to less PCs for Crashplan or use something like Cloudberry with Backblaze B2 for computers that don't have a lot of data. I just don't want to pay $10/mo for a bunch of computers, some of which may only have a few gigs each of really important stuff.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been last edited 19 days ago by kf095. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 27, 2017 15:18 |  #42

I think, OP realized by now what is dropbox as the backup. ;-)a
2GB free is not a backup. It is file transfer between remote computers service. 2GB... nobody even makes SD cards this small.
So, here is 1TB 100+$ per year plan. Is 1TB the long term backup? To me it is the joke. It is my PC drive size which needs export of LR managed folders to external, near line storage once a year or so. Like 4TB external HDD for the same price as 1TB on-line plan.
And what is the Dropbox? Bunch of guys renting someone else cloud? For how long? Also, with my experience, Dropbox, if it is installed on PC with defaults, it becomes as the bugger.

Google seems to be prime cloud owner and have same price for same space. And I'm not finding Google to be as intrusive as Dropbox.

And Flickr is twice less for the same. I'm only not sure if RAW format is supported. For RAW and more than 1TB of backup storage I haven't find something reasonably priced for on-line storage. I wasn't trying hard, RAW is HDD and preferably RAID format for me :).

Crashplan for 10$ p/m no limit sounds good. But how creditable is the company which is offering service at one page and canceling it at another?....

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links

1,814 views & 4 likes for this thread
Dropbox for backup?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.