Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 13 Apr 2017 (Thursday) 21:16
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How much for licensing a photo you've been approached for in a book?

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Apr 15, 2017 10:38 |  #31

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18328555 (external link)
Yes, the standard rate is "whatever the parties agree to".

There sort of used to be back in the days of film, completely before digital appeared. I believe that ASMP or some such similar organization even published a guideline on what was generally accepted. Naturally rates could be negotiated. When digital hit much of the formal price structure went out the window and a free for all took over many segments of the market.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

sponsored links
texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,107 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Apr 15, 2017 12:48 |  #32

Yep, remove - - - due to the small nature of your publication - - - and you're good, IMHO.

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,834 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Austin (near TX)
Sep 19, 2017 08:02 |  #33

Bumping this helpful thread for my own similar situation. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

A few years ago, I shot some photos of a Central Texas first responder and his search dog for a modest fee. The dog was retiring that year, and the two had been involved in a handful major rescues around the nation over about a decade.

The first responder emailed me yesterday to tell me that he has a book in the works regarding his experiences and about this dog. He is asking for terms of a license to include a portrait of the two of them that I took during that shoot.

I am wondering what would be fair. Photography is a background business for me, and I'm mostly funding the photography or hobbies, so $100-$500 seems like it would be plenty (I'm trying to fill out a rock-climbing kit so my daughter and I can climb outdoors). I'm imagining that this photo would be full page somewhere in the book. I don't know what kind of distribution we're looking at here, but clearly not going to be an NYT best seller. Anyone have more guidance?

Not sure if image is useful for context/answers:

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/K9/i-gQHN7xM/0/239a2daf/S/IMG_6310-S.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com ...S/IMG_6310-S.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Sep 19, 2017 09:34 as a reply to waterrockets's post |  #34

I would try to talk to him and get more information about the book he's working on. . Is he self-publishing? . How will the book be distributed (if at all)? . How will the photo be used? . Talking with him about the book won't only help you price the license better, it will probably be very interesting.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
12,999 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2010
In The Sticks
Post has been edited 2 months ago by CameraMan.
Sep 19, 2017 11:38 |  #35

Me, personally, since photography is no longer my bread and butter but just a hobby like you, I would let him have the rights for his book if he would give credit on or underneath the photo and a copy of the book. I still shoot occasional portraits so something like that would be pretty cool to have in a portfolio. Good luck.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Sep 19, 2017 16:31 as a reply to waterrockets's post |  #36

How modest was the original fee? Under $100? then I would say the $50-100 is a good starting point. If the modest fee was $500 then I'd be inclined to give them the file for $20 or less.

But that is just me, and I like returning customers/advertising by word of mouth... and that seems to work for me.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Sep 20, 2017 01:28 |  #37

waterrockets wrote in post #18455644 (external link)
I'm imagining that this photo would be full page somewhere in the book. I don't know what kind of distribution we're looking at here, but clearly not going to be an NYT best seller. Anyone have more guidance?

Don't imagine... ask. It could be the cover image of a book that there will be 20,000 copies of because his friend (who just happens to be the host of a breakfast TV show) is going to feature it. Or it could be a self published/print on demand book the only marketing for which is him telling his mates.

The value of your image depends on how it will be used and how many people are likely to see it (how many copies of the book are planned to be printed). Without knowing these things you can't come up with a fair price.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,107 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Post has been edited 2 months ago by texkam.
Sep 20, 2017 02:05 |  #38

The value also depends on how cheap it is to come up with a viable alternative.

Faced with too steep of a price, what choices would the Author/Publisher have?
1. Pay or find for free, someone else to shoot a new shot. (Is the dog still living?)
2. If the dog is no longer living, a shot of the Author with an inset of an existing shot of the dog. (Not ideal, but a budget driven alternative)
Obviously, the higher your price, the more attractive plan B may look to the Author. But yes, discuss and ask questions. Good luck with the negotiating process.

kv968
Joined Jul 2014
Central NJ
Sep 20, 2017 07:07 |  #39

I was recently contacted by an art director friend who was doing a project for a local publication who was putting out a coffee table type book about a local beach area and wanted to use some photos I'd taken back in 2014. He's the breakdown of what they were offering:

"Each photographer will receive 2 books. In addition, each photographer will receive $25 per photograph. The $25 fee per photo can be exchanged for a book and as many exchanges can be made as you’d like. Example: A photographer for whom we use 5 photos will receive: 2 books plus $125. The $125 can be paid in cash or up to 5 books, in any combination. Books will have an approximate retail value of $44. Additional books can be purchased at the approximate wholesale price of $25 each.

We're also listing all the photographers with there websites at the beginning of the photo credit index."

I don't know if the price was too low but it sounded alright to me so I "licensed" them 3 photos and took the $75 and 2 free books.

I know it's not an apples-to-apples comparison and I don't know the print run but maybe that'll give you a ballpark figure to work with.

Kevin

instagram.com/shooting​anything (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,176 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Sep 20, 2017 10:59 |  #40

waterrockets wrote in post #18455644 (external link)
I am wondering what would be fair. Photography is a background business for me, and I'm mostly funding the photography or hobbies, so $100-$500 seems like it would be plenty

As others said, what's fair depends on how your photo will be used and how widely the book will be distributed. You might also want to go low, recognizing that the man and the dog perform a difficult and dangerous public service.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,834 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Austin (near TX)
Sep 20, 2017 12:33 |  #41

Thanks everyone!

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Sep 27, 2017 08:13 |  #42

waterrockets wrote in post #18456607 (external link)
Thanks everyone!

So......how did you decide to handle this?

What communication have you had with the guy since you last posted to this thread?

Of those who posted here, which ideas and/or advice did you find to be most helpful?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,834 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Austin (near TX)
Sep 27, 2017 16:50 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #43

The whole volume of help was pretty equally important -- good points on all sides.

I decided to offer for $100, which will cover any additional effort to dig up a contract and make any edits needed for printing. He said "Thanks, I'll keep that in mind." so I clearly didn't blow him away with my generosity :)

sponsored links

3,853 views & 23 likes for this thread
How much for licensing a photo you've been approached for in a book?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.