Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk
Thread started 18 Oct 2016 (Tuesday) 11:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Huntington Beach Air Show - Who's going?

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Sep 20, 2017 04:16 |  #31

jwcdds wrote in post #18455803 (external link)
What I like about this show (and I'm sure that's how it is at non-airport/airbase shows) is that everything is pretty fast paced. Since you're not waiting for plans to take off and land as that's occurring offsite, the show just keeps rolling. :D

At most of the airshows that are on the airfield I actually like that the planes are landing/taking off, as it gives lots of opportunities for interesting shots. At most shows I have been to they usually have the aircraft sitting waiting to go at a hold point that is close to the start point to the run, so not long to wait. Again they seem to start the next display pretty promptly as the landing aircraft clear the runway. Some of my favorite aircraft shots have been during takeoff and landing, including my only POTN Best of shot.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from BigAl007's gallery.

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from BigAl007's gallery.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links
Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Sep 20, 2017 04:56 |  #32

jwcdds wrote in post #18455803 (external link)
What I like about this show (and I'm sure that's how it is at non-airport/airbase shows) is that everything is pretty fast paced. Since you're not waiting for plans to take off and land as that's occurring offsite, the show just keeps rolling. :D

Hey, that sounds great.

Btw, let's not forget the Apple Valley Air Show will be here soon.
http://applevalleyairs​how.co (external link)

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Sep 20, 2017 11:25 |  #33

BigAl007 wrote in post #18456364 (external link)
At most of the airshows that are on the airfield I actually like that the planes are landing/taking off, as it gives lots of opportunities for interesting shots. At most shows I have been to they usually have the aircraft sitting waiting to go at a hold point that is close to the start point to the run, so not long to wait. Again they seem to start the next display pretty promptly as the landing aircraft clear the runway. Some of my favorite aircraft shots have been during takeoff and landing, including my only POTN Best of shot.

Alan

The smaller airport airshows are more efficient. But the military bases.... those can be a drag sometimes. What makes up for it is as they sometimes taxi before you and you get to see planes you usually can't see (F22, F35, etc...) up close.

And also it depends on the backdrop/background. If you've got a scenic background, that makes it better too. :D

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Sep 20, 2017 13:41 |  #34

jwcdds wrote in post #18456550 (external link)
The smaller airport airshows are more efficient. But the military bases.... those can be a drag sometimes. What makes up for it is as they sometimes taxi before you and you get to see planes you usually can't see (F22, F35, etc...) up close.

And also it depends on the backdrop/background. If you've got a scenic background, that makes it better too. :D

That is interesting in that it is the complete opposite to my experience here in the UK. I have been to most of the major recurring shows here, including RIAT (the first RIAT at North Weald is the first airshow I remember attending, I also went to a few of the Greenham Common ones), Farnborough, Waddington, Duxford, Shuttleworth Collection, even the old USAF show at Mildenhall (I have to say I do really miss the old Mildenhall show). I recall none of those as being as slow paced, in regards to timings between display slots, as the regular sea front show we used to have just along the coast at Lowestoft. Lots of reasons for that though I would think, ranging from issues with transiting nearby controlled airspace, dispersed airfields, and display pilots not wanting to have to hang around too much before a slot.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Sep 27, 2017 19:36 |  #35

Looks like weather should be nice and clear-ish. Bought my ticket. If anyone else is going (and/or at the Aviator Club) and wants to meet up, let me know.

Hope to see a few of you guys there. I've been away from airshow photography for a year. Hopefully I won't screw things up too badly. :lol:

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

djr01974
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2014
Yorba Linda
Sep 27, 2017 19:42 |  #36

The wife are I will be there. We have friends that live down there and I guess there is a place they go where they can watch. This will be my first time shooting jets and stuff of that nature.

mike_d
Goldmember
4,962 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Sep 29, 2017 16:35 |  #37

I've got a 100-400 II, 1.4x III, a new hat so I can shoot portrait without a bill getting in the way, some water and snacks, and a little sun shelter for the kids. I think I'm ready.

djr01974
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2014
Yorba Linda
Sep 30, 2017 00:27 |  #38

Yesterday I had a treat as the blue angels where buzzing our shop for a while. They were flying super low and hauling arse. It was super cool except I did have my camera with me yesterday because I took the motorcycle yesterday to work. :-)

mike_d
Goldmember
4,962 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Sep 30, 2017 00:38 |  #39

Fog rolled in this afternoon and canceled the practice sessions. I drove by there about 3:30 and the fog south of Adams was pretty bad.

Now it looks like the weekend is questionable.

http://www.ocregister.​com ...untington-beach-air-show/ (external link)

It rained on Sunday's show last year. Now fog. Even under the best circumstances, marine air is thick and facing south isn't the best for viewing and photographing planes in the air. Geography and climate may conspire against this show's future.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Sep 30, 2017 01:20 |  #40

mike_d wrote in post #18463209 (external link)
Fog rolled in this afternoon and canceled the practice sessions. I drove by there about 3:30 and the fog south of Adams was pretty bad.

Now it looks like the weekend is questionable.

http://www.ocregister.​com ...untington-beach-air-show/ (external link)

It rained on Sunday's show last year. Now fog. Even under the best circumstances, marine air is thick and facing south isn't the best for viewing and photographing planes in the air. Geography and climate may conspire against this show's future.

Well that's a bummer. Guess I better make sure I eat well at least. :lol:

Julian

seaninsa
Goldmember
1,528 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Oct 01, 2017 02:06 as a reply to post 18164917 |  #41

Did it rain? I live in the air and Friday it didn't rain in Santa Ana. So how was the show overall?

mike_d
Goldmember
4,962 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Oct 01, 2017 21:29 |  #42

seaninsa wrote in post #18463782 (external link)
Did it rain? I live in the air and Friday it didn't rain in Santa Ana. So how was the show overall?

I went Sunday. The show was good and the weather was perfect. The "main stage" over the water resulted in lots of water vapor in the air and back lighting. I also had to be careful not to follow the performers too close to the sun. I found myself looking elsewhere for better lit shots. I haven't even imported my shots yet so I hope I got some good ones.

djr01974
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2014
Yorba Linda
Oct 02, 2017 00:33 |  #43

I went today. We where just in front of the Hilton between tower 19 and 15. It was my first time going to an air show and shooting any aviation. I thought it was awesome. I filled a card up. I have a ton to go through but I was able to do this before bed. More to come. All shot with my
70-200 F4 is. Enjoy the first

HOSTED PHOTO

djr01974
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2014
Yorba Linda
Oct 03, 2017 00:36 |  #44

The lighting was really harsh in a lot of the photos but got a lot of really good keepers. Here are a couple more.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

djr01974
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2014
Yorba Linda
Oct 03, 2017 00:38 |  #45

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

10,610 views & 36 likes for this thread
Huntington Beach Air Show - Who's going?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.