Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 27 Sep 2017 (Wednesday) 17:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

G1X Mark III

shane_c
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Halifax, NS, Canada
Sep 27, 2017 17:51 |  #1

Is anyone else looking forward to the release of the G1X Mark III? Apparently there is only a few more weeks until the announcement. I've always been interested in this line but never pulled the trigger on the first two models. I'm curious to hear all of the specs and see some reviews.

I've been toying with the idea of updating my 60D for a few years now. The 80D is the logical replacement but sometimes I think I should sell all my gear and get something that's smaller and also capable of getting great shots. Or maybe the G1X3 would be a good addition. Time will tell...

http://thenewcamera.co​m/tag/canon-g1x-mark-iii/ (external link)

Canon 60D - Sigma 17-50 (2.8), Canon 40 STM, Canon 70-200L F4 (non-IS), Canon 1.4x II
My Instagram (external link)

ma11rats
Joined Feb 2013
Az
Sep 27, 2017 21:49 |  #2

There's a rumor that it may have that 24mp APS-C sensor. If that's the case it will not be the same pocketable size. The lens elements will have to be MUCH larger to fit that image circle. Think EOS-M 15-45mm sized lenses, but a group that retracts into the body??? Also, doesn't the rumor have it still at a 24-120mm coverage? That's going to be a really slow lens. Heck there isn't 1 fast zoom on the M platform, that new G1x3 lens cannot possibly be faster than f4 on the long end.
I really can't see it growing from the 1.5" sensor to an APS-C. That combo really restricts the ability to be a compact P&S. Why wouldn't you just buy a M6? The ability to put any EOS lens(w/ adapter) far exceeds the benefit of the 'smaller' size. And since they removed the viewfinder in the G1x mark 2, you're not missing it in the M6.

Then there's the fact that it's a powershot vs EOS so you don't get that same awesome menu system as every Canon DSLR.

The G1Xmark 3 is likely to retail at/near $800, I would think if you're already going mirrorless, M5/6/100 is actually the better buy.

www.matthewbeutelphoto​graphy.com (external link)
5D, 6D, 80D, 35f2IS, 135L, T 85f1.8VC, T 24-70f2.8VC, Tok 12-28f4

shane_c
THREAD ­ STARTER
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Halifax, NS, Canada
Sep 28, 2017 04:19 as a reply to ma11rats's post |  #3

Thanks for the reply. I've looked at the M5 and 6 before but up here there isn't much difference in price between them and the 80D. And if I put on the adapter and use my current lenses there isn't much difference in size.

Something I've always found appealing about the G1X cameras is that even though they aren't exactly pocketable the lens covers a good range and from what I've seen online most users seem very happy with the image quality.

That said the 80D will likely be my next camera whenever I get around to upgrading but would love to add a G1X2 or the yet to be announced G1X3 to my lineup for when I don't feel like carrying gear around.

Canon 60D - Sigma 17-50 (2.8), Canon 40 STM, Canon 70-200L F4 (non-IS), Canon 1.4x II
My Instagram (external link)

ma11rats
Joined Feb 2013
Az
Post has been edited 1 month ago by ma11rats.
Sep 28, 2017 11:59 as a reply to shane_c's post |  #4

I've thought about adding the Sony RX100 mk4(not sure I need to pay for the mk5). Though I'm not a fan of the menu system, I could get past it. My only gripe is the lack of grip. It's kind of a slippery metal body finish. Adding a strap makes it a pain to put in/take out of the pocket.
I'm most likely going to go 77D route, it's small-ish but has a good grip, has the wheel on the back and a MUCH better AF system than the SL2(though I do LOVE that $550 price), whose size I'd prefer but usability again may make it less used. Not a fan of having to press the AV button and dial instead of just using a wheel, also I like using the wheel to scroll through images, to me its way easier, less hand movements than swiping every single image in play back.

Currently I'm using the original EOS-m(same 18MP sensor as your 60D) w/ the 22f2...it barely fits in my cargo pockets. And the lag while using it is just god awful. The time it takes to actually take the photo, the blackout time afterwards(while it's writing the screen is black and you can't do anything), the time it takes to exit viewing images in playback to get you back to taking a photo... its all just so freaking slow. But I got the pair for $200 on ebay 2 years ago with the purpose of having something on me everywhere. Well it turns out, I don't bring it everywhere. The poor usability takes the fun out of using it. When playing with the M5 at Bestbuy, it seems to have gotten most of that resolved. Though I did see a review of someone mentioning the blackout time still a concern while trying to get action shots of kids. I will be giving my M(1) to my 6yr old soon to get her started. With the press to shutter option on the LCD, its very easy for her to start taking photos.

www.matthewbeutelphoto​graphy.com (external link)
5D, 6D, 80D, 35f2IS, 135L, T 85f1.8VC, T 24-70f2.8VC, Tok 12-28f4

383 views & 2 likes for this thread
G1X Mark III
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.